The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks - ours are something like a 10-hour flight, then a two hour flight, then about 75 minutes drive home.

We may or may not have access to the lounge in Rome - no one at Delta can tell us for sure, but we’re not going to be in the airport terribly long. We won’t have access in NY, but we don’t like the lounge there anyway! :laugh:

Which airport in NY? JFK?

CD

Well it took a very long time to get me through security at Manchester airport but I'm through with everything. Medication, batteries, liquidover 100ml, syringes & needles, liquid meds and so on. Thankfully having it all documented made it easier and we stayed patient with the staff which helped considerably. They thanked us at the end.

All other (non-UK) airports haven't batted an eyelid over the soy milk, nebulisers ribbing in batteries and so on, but here everything has to be in clear plastic bags and not their original containers! Every inhaler has had its packaging removed and so on. Needless to say nothing fits back in to the case afterwards!
We also had to explain some stuff they'd not come across before such as the nut mylk paste that can be diluted into a nut milk. It's been opened and tested but we've got it back even though hubby had it in his case, not mine.

Praying it will be easier at Heathrow but I doubt it. 😔

Well it took a very long time to get me through security at Manchester airport but I'm through with everything. Medication, batteries, liquidover 100ml, syringes & needles, liquid meds and so on. Thankfully having it all documented made it easier and we stayed patient with the staff which helped considerably. They thanked us at the end.

All other (non-UK) airports haven't batted an eyelid over the soy milk, nebulisers ribbing in batteries and so on, but here everything has to be in clear plastic bags and not their original containers! Every inhaler has had its packaging removed and so on. Needless to say nothing fits back in to the case afterwards!
We also had to explain some stuff they'd not come across before such as the nut mylk paste that can be diluted into a nut milk. It's been opened and tested but we've got it back even though hubby had it in his case, not mine.

Praying it will be easier at Heathrow but I doubt it. 😔

Fingers crossed.

It is something they’re super picky about in most of the UK airports I’ve been through, making people bin things just for not being in a clear bag. Post covid a tiny concession was made in that they actually have clear bags at security for you to put things in. On one occasion Mr SSOAP nearly had his liquids confiscated because the clear bag ‘zipper’ wouldnt stay shut and the rules state it must be a “sealed bag” as if a terrorist couldn’t open a sealed bag?!

But even then it’s a max of 1 litre in no more than 10 bottles - in a small bag of 20x20cm that you cant squeeze 10 bottles in anyway.

I suspect the other countries you’ve travelled through have the new scanners. We are way behind other countries on that score. The new scanners know what it is they are scanning, so no need to get liquids or electrical out (although here I’m told they are still doing that). Our old scanners can’t discern what the liquid is.
Some airports have new scanners in place now ready for the change over next year, some do not. Fingers crossed they have them in Heathrow!

Fingers crossed.

It is something they’re super picky about in most of the UK airports I’ve been through, making people bin things just for not being in a clear bag. Post covid a tiny concession was made in that they actually have clear bags at security for you to put things in. On one occasion Mr SSOAP nearly had his liquids confiscated because the clear bag ‘zipper’ wouldnt stay shut and the rules state it must be a “sealed bag” as if a terrorist couldn’t open a sealed bag?!

But even then it’s a max of 1 litre in no more than 10 bottles - in a small bag of 20x20cm that you cant squeeze 10 bottles in anyway.

I suspect the other countries you’ve travelled through have the new scanners. We are way behind other countries on that score. The new scanners know what it is they are scanning, so no need to get liquids or electrical out (although here I’m told they are still doing that). Our old scanners can’t discern what the liquid is.
Some airports have new scanners in place now ready for the change over next year, some do not. Fingers crossed they have them in Heathrow!
Luckily will a doctors note saying I have to carry my own food and drink, plus my list of medication, I can get most things through. It just takes time. I have a lot of nebuliser based medication as well as medical equipment that runs off batteries which they can't complain about etc.

Heathrow was faster than Manchester but still not as good as Europe or Japan or Australia...

I gather that the new scanners will be phased in at Manchester next year.

Grr. Our 2nd flight, the long one that's 14hrs, has already been delayed by an hour which means we'll not make our connecting flight in Tokyo unless it makes up a lot of time. Looks like we'll be spending time in a Tokyo hotel at a guess. Don't know yet, hubby's gone walkabout to try to find out.

A good friend of ours is going into hospital today to have stents in her heart. They tried a couple of months ago but were unsuccessful due to her arteries being badly blocked, however the guy doing the surgery today is supposed to be the best in the business so it should be a success, fingers and toes crossed. She is a poorly bunny and anxious as anything so we have tried to jolly her along a bit, send her some jokes etc..

You know when you see a film and an old big car is going along a dirt ir gravel road and there's a plume of dust behind it that's twice the height of the vehicle... well the runway is rather like that at the moment and the bigger the plane, the more water it is clearing off the runway!

A good friend of ours is going into hospital today to have stents in her heart. They tried a couple of months ago but were unsuccessful due to her arteries being badly blocked, however the guy doing the surgery today is supposed to be the best in the business so it should be a success, fingers and toes crossed. She is a poorly bunny and anxious as anything so we have tried to jolly her along a bit, send her some jokes etc..
Hope she’s ok.
Having one failed attempt doesn’t exactly soothe the nerves does it?!

Luckily will a doctors note saying I have to carry my own food and drink, plus my list of medication, I can get most things through. It just takes time. I have a lot of nebuliser based medication as well as medical equipment that runs off batteries which they can't complain about etc.

Heathrow was faster than Manchester but still not as good as Europe or Japan or Australia...

I gather that the new scanners will be phased in at Manchester next year.
They’ll be phased in everywhere in the UK.
They dragged their feet so much they ended up with the govt interfering and insisting it must be done by 2024!

They’ll be phased in everywhere in the UK.
They dragged their feet so much they ended up with the govt interfering and insisting it must be done by 2024!
It will make life a lot easier traveling for everyone again, not just those with legit medical issues, she says sitting in the business lounge nebulising! I hate doing it in public but I can't nebulise on the plane, so it has to be done just before we fly. An asthma attack on the plane isn't ideal!

It will make life a lot easier traveling for everyone again, not just those with legit medical issues, she says sitting in the business lounge nebulising! I hate doing it in public but I can't nebulise on the plane, so it has to be done just before we fly. An asthma attack on the plane isn't ideal!

Oof that sucks!
Can’t remember if I mentioned I have to carry a CPAP? I would not like to do that in view of others, you have my sympathies.

Hopefully it will make things a lot easier as it also means they will ditch the 100ml bottle limit. Initially they said they would any road.
However when I spoke to security in Bristol airport they said there would still be limits. Tbh I got the impression she was just making it up and didn’t know what was happening 😆

Personally I can’t wait to get on a plane with a jar of marmite or mustard or wow butter 😂

When I needed to take two large batteries to power my CPAP in a place with no electricity I was so paranoid they would confiscate one, when I read you’re allowed one ”integral to the machine“ and one spare I spent (insert swear word here) loads on a travel machine that the batteries fitted directly and seamlessly into the machine.

It was worth it for peace of mind. The thought of having to choose your flight or your health is rather stressful!

Oof that sucks!
Can’t remember if I mentioned I have to carry a CPAP? I would not like to do that in view of others, you have my sympathies.

Hopefully it will make things a lot easier as it also means they will ditch the 100ml bottle limit. Initially they said they would any road.
However when I spoke to security in Bristol airport they said there would still be limits. Tbh I got the impression she was just making it up and didn’t know what was happening 😆

Personally I can’t wait to get on a plane with a jar of marmite or mustard or wow butter 😂

When I needed to take two large batteries to power my CPAP in a place with no electricity I was so paranoid they would confiscate one, when I read you’re allowed one ”integral to the machine“ and one spare I spent (insert swear word here) loads on a travel machine that the batteries fitted directly and seamlessly into the machine.

It was worth it for peace of mind. The thought of having to choose your flight or your health is rather stressful!
I don't think I was aware of that, so know you'll understand. We don't take flying lightly. It's hard with my meds, worse because I can't change brands of things because dairy gets into so many tablets and inhalers. I can't afford to not have my inhalers handy and have spares around. They even pulled my epipens out at Manchester and insisted that they were in a plastic bag. They can't change location. We're accustomed to looking for them in 1 place in an emergency and 1 place only, along with the liquid steroids and liquid antihistamines. They don't get that at all. They even removed my spare inhalers from their boxes, so now they don't have the script on the box because the boxes were disposed of for me! I managed to hang on to my morphine box by stating I needed it to get the morphine back into Australia because it's a restricted medication and the label is on the box...

I have refused a CPAP. When they tested me in the lab after I was given one they concluded that it didn't help me. Neither did the mouth guard device that I tried and cost $$$$. So far in fine without. It's not actually sleep apnea that I've got but tracheamalacia, so provided I sleep on my side in fine. My trachea has been falafel through constant coughing over the years.

Yeah, I get those issues. My main nebuliser can do the hypertonic saline (6% or 7%) and is much faster and better all round. But it runs off mains only.

I've got a cheap one that runs off AA batteries or USB, but that can't do the saline, just the steroids, and 2 relievers. And it doesn't last particularly well. When I used it everyday, it would die within 3 months. So now we aim to only use that when really necessary...

But it means I need batteries, 2 × medical equipment, loads of liquid medication that can't be opened until it is used because it is light sensitive and so on. So the security questions tend to go, do you have any.... answer yes. You can't... yes I can. It's for medical equipment and the rules state clearly I have to run them off my own batteries... and so on. Plus it means I end up with 2 carry on bags because I refuse to put any medication in the hold. If it doesn't arrive, I'm screwed. So half the cabin bag carries medication and half my rucksack carries the emergency stuff (epipens, liquid hydrocortisone with needles and syringes, liquid needs for nebuliser and liquid morphine) plus I then get the issues with food and the dairy allergy. Needing to take my own milk and so on, plus all snacks, yoghurt. Most places were really good about that coming, it's just Manchester had this ultra radical approach that's meant stuff has actually been opened and inspected so now it should be in a fridge and should be being used within x many days. I'll end up ditching it when we get home because it will no doubt have gone rancid by then (it's a nut based puree that makes up into a nut milk. You just add it to water and shake. Handy in countries like Japan where we've not been able to get dairy free drinks or desserts other than jelly on the plane. )

Oh yeah, and because of a single episode of multiple PEs after life saving surgery 5 years ago, I also get to inject clexane which got inspected as well. They nearly opened one until I objected on grounds of sterility!
I can't take the blood thinning tablets because they contain dairy!

Luckily my doctor is very clued in and I'd asked for a letter listing all medication and stating epipens for dairy allergy and that I needed to carry my own food and drinks/liquids. That single line has been the most helpful getting out of the UK to date!

Last edited:
I don't think I was aware of that, so know you'll understand. We don't take flying lightly. It's hard with my meds, worse because I can't change brands of things because dairy gets into so many tablets and inhalers. I can't afford to not have my inhalers handy and have spares around. They even pulled my epipens out at Manchester and insisted that they were in a plastic bag. They can't change location. We're accustomed to looking for them in 1 place in an emergency and 1 place only, along with the liquid steroids and liquid antihistamines. They don't get that at all. They even removed my spare inhalers from their boxes, so now they don't have the script on the box because the boxes were disposed of for me! I managed to hang on to my morphine box by stating I needed it to get the morphine back into Australia because it's a restricted medication and the label is on the box...

I have refused a CPAP. When they tested me in the lab after I was given one they concluded that it didn't help me. Neither did the mouth guard device that I tried and cost $$$$. So far in fine without. It's not actually sleep apnea that I've got but tracheamalacia, so provided I sleep on my side in fine. My trachea has been falafel through constant coughing over the years.

Yeah, I get those issues. My main nebuliser can do the hypertonic saline (6% or 7%) and is much faster and better all round. But it runs off mains only.

I've got a cheap one that runs off AA batteries or USB, but that can't do the saline, just the steroids, and 2 relievers. And it doesn't last particularly well. When I used it everyday, it would die within 3 months. So now we aim to only use that when really necessary...

But it means I need batteries, 2 × medical equipment, loads of liquid medication that can't be opened until it is used because it is light sensitive and so on. So the security questions tend to go, do you have any.... answer yes. You can't... yes I can. It's for medical equipment and the rules state clearly I have to run them off my own batteries... and so on. Plus it means I end up with 2 carry on bags because I refuse to put any medication in the hold. If it doesn't arrive, I'm screwed. So half the cabin bag carries medication and half my rucksack carries the emergency stuff (epipens, liquid hydrocortisone with needles and syringes, liquid needs for nebuliser and liquid morphine) plus I then get the issues with food and the dairy allergy. Needing to take my own milk and so on, plus all snacks, yoghurt. Most places were really good about that coming, it's just Manchester had this ultra radical approach that's meant stuff has actually been opened and inspected so now it should be in a fridge and should be being used within x many days. I'll end up ditching it when we get home because it will no doubt have gone rancid by then (it's a nut based puree that makes up into a nut milk. You just add it to water and shake. Handy in countries like Japan where we've not been able to get dairy free drinks or desserts other than jelly on the plane. )

Oh yeah, and because of a single episode of multiple PEs after life saving surgery 5 years ago, I also get to inject clexane which got inspected as well. They nearly opened one until I objected on grounds of sterility!
I can't take the blood thinning tablets because they contain dairy!

Luckily my doctor is very clued in and I'd asked for a letter listing all medication and stating epipens for dairy allergy and that I needed to carry my own food and drinks/liquids. That single line has been the most helpful getting out of the UK to date!
The doctors letter is the crucial item. They used to be very funny about my sons epipens, they don’t seem so bothered now but without that letter I dread to think! They confiscated his liquid antihistamines in a fit of pique.

I think it’s the uncertainty that makes it so stressful, everyone is supposed to be singing from the same hymn sheet when comes to the rules on aviation but quite often they don’t seem to know their own rules do they!

I always carry my cpap in a separate bag too as I don’t want to be parted from it. The lady who runs an excellent CPAP charity in the UK helped me a lot and said keeping your things in a medical bag with a medical tag on it mostly means they don‘t bat an eye. So I bought one of her labels and attached it to my medical looking CPAP bag since then I haven’t been stopped once even for having two or three bags once!

At first my ego didn’t like carrying a ‘special person’ bag with a label on it but I soon got over it when it made my life so much easier.

For you though it really doesn‘t sound quite so straight forward, a lot of meds and some of them liquid 😬
But you never know, it might help 🤷‍♀️

The other thing that made a huge difference was using fast track security and turning up not 2 hours before a flight but 2.5 hours before a flight before the free for all begins.

My friend who carries the similar things as you (maybe less food but certainly gluten free stuff) says to the first person at security queue “I have lots of meds, and I always get stopped, can you help me?”
She says that works a treat.

But yes like you say it’s stressful.

Hopefully these new scanners will usher in a new era 🤞

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom