The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually can't listen to anything on headphones when I'm out of the house. Did that only once and almost got ran over by a car. My head is usually up in the clouds as it is and I can get lost walking a straight line, I don't need another life threatening distraction.

When outside I need to hear what is going on around me so no headphones for me either.

I'm living with a lot of semi sick people and I don't like to watch them all day, they don't like that either. So I started to listen to podcasts about stock market, mental illness and how to kick it to the next level on my workplace.
Feel free to ignore this question if you find it intrusive but why the "lot of semi sick people"?

Sounds very arrogant, but I've heard when you don't want to be the average 9 to 5 guy who isn't interested in career you should look for motivated and inspiring people. Some volunteers in the soup kitchen for homeless are barely functioning, they're either sick or don't know how to work, my workplace is full of toxic but still respectful colleagues and then there's my sick mom, I'm still living with her. I like them all for what they are, the lazy or sick volunteers, who go and help homeless people in their free time, my mom who is letting me sleep in a warm and paid room for fair rent and my toxic colleagues. But I don't want to copy the bad sides, like being lazy or don't do anything for your health, or just not being kind under stress.

That's a reason why I'm in love with cookingbites, here are many motivated people, where I can look up to.

In my email this morning:

IMG_6814.jpeg
IMG_6815.jpeg
IMG_6816.jpeg
IMG_6817.jpeg

Any takers?

Sounds very arrogant, but I've heard when you don't want to be the average 9 to 5 guy who isn't interested in career you should look for motivated and inspiring people
As your career progresses, you will come across all sorts of people. The 9-5ers, the whiners, the workaholics, the miserys, the lazies, the manipulators, the arrogant - they're all there somewhere. What you have to focus on is YOU, and what you want to achieve, and never mind the rest. Play them off against each other, but make sure you're a step away. Learn how to get what you need from them and still be able to work in a team environment (because there's no team environment like a kitchen brigade).

As your career progresses, you will come across all sorts of people. The 9-5ers, the whiners, the workaholics, the miserys, the lazies, the manipulators, the arrogant - they're all there somewhere. What you have to focus on is YOU, and what you want to achieve, and never mind the rest. Play them off against each other, but make sure you're a step away. Learn how to get what you need from them and still be able to work in a team environment (because there's no team environment like a kitchen brigade).

Kinda' cynical, eh?

I tended to the stock of my surroundings, and learn to work with some people, and work around others, based on who I could count on to get things done, and who I couldn't. That focuses on "getting things done" got the attention of those above me, and consequently, I got promotions and pay raises.

When I went out on my own, I had to learn how to get things done in spite of some of my customers. In some cases, I had customers who wanted to make every decision and micro-manage things. I had to find ways to keep them busy, and away from me. In the end, they got wet they needed, and continued doing business with me.

Now that I am mostly retired, I pick and chose who I work for. When and old "problem customer" wants me to do work for them, I just give them an estimate for an amount I know they won't pay, and I don't hear from them anymore. :laugh:

BTW, I've known for a long time that there is no way I could work in a restaurant kitchen. I'd hate cooking before long.

CD

Kinda' cynical, eh?
It is really, isn't it? That advice was given to me over 30 years ago by the HR manager in the local petroleum company. He always used to choose a team with lots of different personalities; then he let them go at each other and he could manage. Great manager - went on to become a VP of GTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom