The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds very arrogant, but I've heard when you don't want to be the average 9 to 5 guy who isn't interested in career you should look for motivated and inspiring people. Some volunteers in the soup kitchen for homeless are barely functioning, they're either sick or don't know how to work, my workplace is full of toxic but still respectful colleagues and then there's my sick mom, I'm still living with her. I like them all for what they are, the lazy or sick volunteers, who go and help homeless people in their free time, my mom who is letting me sleep in a warm and paid room for fair rent and my toxic colleagues. But I don't want to copy the bad sides, like being lazy or don't do anything for your health, or just not being kind under stress.

That's a reason why I'm in love with cookingbites, here are many motivated people, where I can look up to.

Knowing what you do and don’t like or want isn’t arrogant at all.
Sometimes when you’re younger I think it’s difficult to see a path from where you are to where you want to be or even to envisage where that place is! I applaud your efforts at navigating it all and your efforts to take care of yourself.

Some people are able to look for things they like in other people rather than focus on their negative attributes, sounds like you’re one of those lucky people!

Personally I‘ve always done well in work environments because I don’t involve myself in others squabbles or personality clashes, unless it’s to mediate if things get really out of hand.
I always work to do the job in the best possible way, that is where there’s satisfaction and ultimately that is what made and still makes people want me in charge. They know the job will go as smoothly as possible, I don’t play favourites, am pretty straight forward (eg is someone slacking or bitching too much I’ll tell them to buck their ideas up or stop the negativity) and we all get to be quietly just a bit proud of the thing we are part of.

But in all honesty my life now not answering to anyone (save a few clients that like CD we price accordingly😉), with very few employees that can be trusted to get on with things and having time to myself albeit in fits n spurts is undoubtedly to nicest position I’ve ever been in!

All power to your elbow PabloLerntKochen!

Last edited:
Hand update: I’m a smurf. Hopefully this helps bring the swelling down, at least until the compression gloves I ordered arrive tomorrow.
IMG_8456.jpeg

Hand update: I’m a smurf. Hopefully this helps bring the swelling down, at least until the compression gloves I ordered arrive tomorrow.
View attachment 107135

This whole thing is so strange. I've broken multiple bones over the years, including a thumb and wrist (not at the same time). Nothing like this ever happened to me -- or anyone I know. Maybe that's why it is being so difficult to treat -- it doesn't happen often??? :scratchhead:

CD

This whole thing is so strange. I've broken multiple bones over the years, including a thumb and wrist (not at the same time). Nothing like this ever happened to me -- or anyone I know. Maybe that's why it is being so difficult to treat -- it doesn't happen often??? :scratchhead:

CD
My hand therapist is kinda flummoxed as well. My other physiotherapist wasn’t making progress, and the new one is making progress, but I lose it a short time later.

She’s going to try to get me back into the hospital next week for more imaging. I haven’t had it x-rayed since the night I broke it. She’s wondering if there might be something more going on 😕

My hand therapist is kinda flummoxed as well. My other physiotherapist wasn’t making progress, and the new one is making progress, but I lose it a short time later.

She’s going to try to get me back into the hospital next week for more imaging. I haven’t had it x-rayed since the night I broke it. She’s wondering if there might be something more going on 😕
Back in 1993 I took a simple fall at work. There was glass under my right hand, so my body put all the weight on my left wrist. I'd gone down on both hands and both knees. I cut both hands and both knees. At the time I thought I'd just sprained my left wrist.

X-rays a week later (we lived very rurally, so no emergency unless you drove a long way away and driving wasn't easy for me with the wrist injury) told me that nothing was broken, but that a previous break (which I knew nothing about) had healed nicely.

Physio started a few weeks after that. I'd lost all the rotational movement on my wrist and everything was also very swollen. Physio got most of that movement back, but at a cost. That cost was the wrist starting to dislocate 20-30 times a day. Yep, you read that correctly.

Everyone medically was looking for 1 cause, and hence 1 solution. Each time I saw my consultant, I'd be asked where it hurt the most, which as it was to turn out, was the wrong question. It took many changes of consultants and even a psychiatrist (the medical profession thought I was making it up by this point, but the psychiatrist was the best thing that happened because on the first appointment my wrist dislocated in front of him. All I had done was change my position in the chair. With his support and help, the medical profession got to the bottom of the issues, but it took over 10 years and multiple operations.)

I've found that people get hooked on the idea that there is only 1 thing wrong, only 1 cause, 1 problem. Perhaps you need to encourage the idea that there may be more than one thing amiss, that no one problem answers all of the symptoms?

For what is is worth, I ended up with my left wrist on a support for over a decade before it was finally good enough to no longer need it. It's now back in it at night, but for other reasons.

Took a phone call this morning, expecting an automated Chinese voice. It wasn't.

Instead, it was someone I didn't know, ringing up to see if I was expecting a new dyson vacuum cleaner (I am). I had had the "its been delivered" notification yesterday and given the courier company and their track record (1 successful delivery in +5 years of living here) I made the incorrect assumption that they had done their usual trick and delivered it to my "local" post office. This assumption was based on the postcode they have for the delivery which is where the post office is.

Nope. Instead they were 180° out and even further afield than my local post office... in fact, it had been left unattended at a local winery after hours, and unsigned for. Luckily it had actually been left in the dry because there was a bad thunderstorm that way last night. We only clipped the edge of it, so didn't get the rain we desperately need.

So I made arrangements with the kind gentleman who was honest, for me to go and collect it and we'd both put in a complaint to the company concerned. I live in a hamlet with the same name as his winery but his winery is 22km away from where I live and there is only 1 common word in the address. Even just using Google maps, it is clear the 2 places are not related. The best example I can give is to say I live in Canberra. I don't but it will do for the sake of the example. Well they may have as well delivered it to Canberra cement works... it would have been closer!

And just to make life even better, on my way there I had to make a choice, stay behind an articulated lorry on the verge of jacknifing whilst swerving to avoid a juvenile kangaroo, or stay in lane 2 with the roo now on the hard shoulder... yeah. I stayed put. The roo didn't. Roos, like all animals have patterns and this one was wrong time of day, wrong location and acting strangely. 🙄 my horn stopped it short, but it skidded under the front of the car and both passenger side wheels ran it over. It was dead immediately thankfully.

My 'luck' continued. The drive transmission error message came up on the dash, but I was stopping anyhow. I needed to check the roo, clear it from the carriageway and check if there was a joey.

It turned out that I'd not picked up my mobile phone on the way out and the first few vehicles passed didn't respond to my request for help. Luckily whilst I was sitting recovering my wits a lady stopped without being asked and asked if I was OK. She was exceptionally helpful and after I had rung hubby to come down with a toolkit and my phone, we cleared the carriageway, checked the roo was dead and checked for a joey. It was a female, but no joey thankfully. I didn't even get her name but she has my thanks.

Then my attention turned to the car. It's its 3rd collision with a roo that we know of. It's why it has proper roo bars and this roo hadn't touched them. It went directly under them as it skidded to a stop and its legs went from under it. I'd killed the underneath wheel arch trim yet again. all of that and some extra stuff needed pulling off to clear the front passenger tyre. But everything looked OK ignoring the water pouring out from underneath the vehicle well back from the engine bay. The kind of place that leaves you scratching your head... it was water, it wasn't oil, it wasn't radiator fluid, it wasn't brake fluid... catching some in my hands showed it was clear and colourless and no odour.... hubby had arrived by now, so we decided to risk the 1km down the hard shoulder to the rest stop where we would be safer to crawl under the car if the error message on the dash was gone. Neither of us could see damage to the vehicle aside from the trim I'd had to remove. Well the error message had gone, so we trundled down the hard shoulder to the rest stop... there we left the car whilst we collected the dyson. We may as well given that is where I was heading!

Hubby drove the vehicle home. I had been thinking it was fine from the handling as well, so we headed off back 20km home without any issues. A call to the local garage said bring it down now and they'd check underneath for us. Amazingly there is no damage except for the underside wheel arch trim that's been refitted. The error was simply that you couldn't steer without hitting the trim and impacting the wheel. Me pulling/prising the trim off using the key resolved that error. I'm not questioning how the vehicle knew, but at 110kph and an emergency stop, steering anything that straight was never going to happen.

And the water? That was the air con unit taking its usual dump when the engine was turned off 😆. The humidity today is twice what it was yesterday because of the storms last night. Total bill $65 for the refitting, a few clips and a check up on the vehicle.

Oh, and for those who have a dyson vacuum cleaner, my dust fairy is back!

Took a phone call this morning, expecting an automated Chinese voice. It wasn't.

Instead, it was someone I didn't know, ringing up to see if I was expecting a new dyson vacuum cleaner (I am). I had had the "its been delivered" notification yesterday and given the courier company and their track record (1 successful delivery in +5 years of living here) I made the incorrect assumption that they had done their usual trick and delivered it to my "local" post office. This assumption was based on the postcode they have for the delivery which is where the post office is.

Nope. Instead they were 180° out and even further afield than my local post office... in fact, it had been left unattended at a local winery after hours, and unsigned for. Luckily it had actually been left in the dry because there was a bad thunderstorm that way last night. We only clipped the edge of it, so didn't get the rain we desperately need.

So I made arrangements with the kind gentleman who was honest, for me to go and collect it and we'd both put in a complaint to the company concerned. I live in a hamlet with the same name as his winery but his winery is 22km away from where I live and there is only 1 common word in the address. Even just using Google maps, it is clear the 2 places are not related. The best example I can give is to say I live in Canberra. I don't but it will do for the sake of the example. Well they may have as well delivered it to Canberra cement works... it would have been closer!

And just to make life even better, on my way there I had to make a choice, stay behind an articulated lorry on the verge of jacknifing whilst swerving to avoid a juvenile kangaroo, or stay in lane 2 with the roo now on the hard shoulder... yeah. I stayed put. The roo didn't. Roos, like all animals have patterns and this one was wrong time of day, wrong location and acting strangely. 🙄 my horn stopped it short, but it skidded under the front of the car and both passenger side wheels ran it over. It was dead immediately thankfully.

My 'luck' continued. The drive transmission error message came up on the dash, but I was stopping anyhow. I needed to check the roo, clear it from the carriageway and check if there was a joey.

It turned out that I'd not picked up my mobile phone on the way out and the first few vehicles passed didn't respond to my request for help. Luckily whilst I was sitting recovering my wits a lady stopped without being asked and asked if I was OK. She was exceptionally helpful and after I had rung hubby to come down with a toolkit and my phone, we cleared the carriageway, checked the roo was dead and checked for a joey. It was a female, but no joey thankfully. I didn't even get her name but she has my thanks.

Then my attention turned to the car. It's its 3rd collision with a roo that we know of. It's why it has proper roo bars and this roo hadn't touched them. It went directly under them as it skidded to a stop and its legs went from under it. I'd killed the underneath wheel arch trim yet again. all of that and some extra stuff needed pulling off to clear the front passenger tyre. But everything looked OK ignoring the water pouring out from underneath the vehicle well back from the engine bay. The kind of place that leaves you scratching your head... it was water, it wasn't oil, it wasn't radiator fluid, it wasn't brake fluid... catching some in my hands showed it was clear and colourless and no odour.... hubby had arrived by now, so we decided to risk the 1km down the hard shoulder to the rest stop where we would be safer to crawl under the car if the error message on the dash was gone. Neither of us could see damage to the vehicle aside from the trim I'd had to remove. Well the error message had gone, so we trundled down the hard shoulder to the rest stop... there we left the car whilst we collected the dyson. We may as well given that is where I was heading!

Hubby drove the vehicle home. I had been thinking it was fine from the handling as well, so we headed off back 20km home without any issues. A call to the local garage said bring it down now and they'd check underneath for us. Amazingly there is no damage except for the underside wheel arch trim that's been refitted. The error was simply that you couldn't steer without hitting the trim and impacting the wheel. Me pulling/prising the trim off using the key resolved that error. I'm not questioning how the vehicle knew, but at 110kph and an emergency stop, steering anything that straight was never going to happen.

And the water? That was the air con unit taking its usual dump when the engine was turned off 😆. The humidity today is twice what it was yesterday because of the storms last night. Total bill $65 for the refitting, a few clips and a check up on the vehicle.

Oh, and for those who have a dyson vacuum cleaner, my dust fairy is back!
I have to say Roo’s are why Australia is considered by the Overland community one of the worse places to ride a motorcycle. Anyone who’s been says DON”T TRAVEL AT DUSK OR DAWN with the sternest look on their face! More than one person I knows trip has ended abruptly in hospital after a Roo encounter.
Apparently they have two modes When startled, freeze or dart about erratically!

Glad you escaped unscathed.

Last edited:
I have to say Roo’s are why Australia is considered by the Overland community one of the worse places to ride a motorcycle. Anyone who’s been says DON”T TRAVEL AT DUSK OR DAWN With the sternest look on their face! More than one person I knows trip has ended abruptly in hospital after a Roo encounter.
Apparently they have two modes When startled, freeze or dart about erratically!

Glad you escaped unscathed.
Yeah. The irony is that dawn and dusk tend to be the safest times because you know where to expect them. They are creatures of habit. So those local to the roads you're on, know what to look out for and where they cross. They have dedicated points where they cross, crawl under a fence or there's a road junction that allows them easy access across. So they'll be there... High temps force then uphill, rain forces them down... and so on.

It's the irregularities in their routine usually caused by humans that causes the problems and I suspect that was what has happened today.

I've hit 2 in the time I've been here (7½ years). 10 days after buying this vehicle in a blizzard on a road I didn't want to be on and had to be because of a fatal accident on the only other road.... couldn't go around the roo and it had nowhere to go to surroundedby concrete and a steep embankment. Oncoming vehicle so nowhere for me to go to, and someone travelling too closely for me to hit my brakes. I didn't know Aussie rules/law would have held the person behind me to account for being too close. I should have hit my brakes and let them hit me! The roo survived uninjured. The vehicle sustained $5K of damage. We didn't have the custom roo bars, they had to be made to order and were being made to order at the time.

Hubby got the next two. One ran into the side of the hire car whilst our 10 day old (to us) vehicle was being repaired! Dented the rear drivers door. He was driving that fast the roo didn't end up under the wheels.

But the second one was another matter entirely. He was already braking to turn into our track when a fully grown adult male roo decided to step in front of him. What can you do when you're already on the brakes, braking to an almost complete stop to turn into a driveway? Nothing. Lots more damage on that one because the roo actually bent the roo bars, broke various high power strip lights, dented the bonnet with the roo bars and so on... $8k damage that time. Roo was killed outright though instantly.

This time round though it was different. The roo was in an odd location for the time of day (10am, almost 5hrs from dawn). So not dawn or dusk. It was alone and immature, again odd, they would normally be more than one, in a juvenile pack or with "mum". And at that time of day, there, it wouldn't normally be crossing the highway either. That's a dawn/dusk thing.

But that said, I've seen 3 beef cattle hit along that 20km stretch of highway in 5 years (one by the lorry behind me despite me changing lanes, putting hazards on, highlighting the bugger with the Aussie strip lights that light up kilometres of road and so on). The lorry didn't continue its journey. They make an even bigger mess of cars, the driver did survive luckily.

One thing roos and wallabies don't like is the sound of the horn. That usually works and it did the job this time around as well. It stopped the roo in its tracks. Sadly it lost is footing because they are top heavy with no grip on gravel or tarmac and that's what cost it it's life. It's also what saved our vehicle from damage because I ran the legs and body over with the wheels. Had it have gone under the middle of the vehicle, we'd have no vehicle now, or hit the roo bars and it would have written the vehicle off at that speed (80-90kph on a 110kph road, I was already on the brakes when it went under the wheels). Plus the vehicle behind me also hit it as well.

They are hard to predict. That's certain. But they do have habits. It's just they don't show until they move, and even then you don't see them well. Their camouflage is excellent. Their eyes don't reflect light either. Brakes and horn are the only things that work. I did both but today it wasn't enough for that roo sadly, but it did work for keeping me safe in the vehicle, so I guess that's a win.

But that said, I've also hit plenty of wildlife in the UK, including red deer (part of living and working rurally). They make a mess of a vehicle as well and are pretty dangerous. We get them here as well. We've seen a couple hit along that highway as well.

If you go north in Finland, Norway or Sweden. you'll play the same game of dodge with reindeer instead. On a bicycle it wasn't as bad because screaming at them worked, but every time a vehicle of any size was around, the reindeer would instantly try to cross the road. We saw plenty of evidence of them not succeeding.

Last edited:
Yeah. The irony is that dawn and dusk tend to be the safest times because you know where to expect them. They are creatures of habit. So those local to the roads you're on, know what to look out for and where they cross. They have dedicated points where they cross, crawl under a fence or there's a road junction that allows them easy access across. So they'll be there... High temps force then uphill, rain forces them down... and so on.

It's the irregularities in their routine usually caused by humans that causes the problems and I suspect that was what has happened today.

I've hit 2 in the time I've been here (7½ years). 10 days after buying this vehicle in a blizzard on a road I didn't want to be on and had to be because of a fatal accident on the only other road.... couldn't go around the roo and it had nowhere to go to surroundedby concrete and a steep embankment. Oncoming vehicle so nowhere for me to go to, and someone travelling too closely for me to hit my brakes. I didn't know Aussie rules/law would have held the person behind me to account for being too close. I should have hit my brakes and let them hit me! The roo survived uninjured. The vehicle sustained $5K of damage. We didn't have the custom roo bars, they had to be made to order and were being made to order at the time.

Hubby got the next two. One ran into the side of the hire car whilst our 10 day old (to us) vehicle was being repaired! Dented the rear drivers door. He was driving that fast the roo didn't end up under the wheels.

But the second one was another matter entirely. He was already braking to turn into our track when a fully grown adult male roo decided to step in front of him. What can you do when you're already on the brakes, braking to an almost complete stop to turn into a driveway? Nothing. Lots more damage on that one because the roo actually bent the roo bars, broke various high power strip lights, dented the bonnet with the roo bars and so on... $8k damage that time. Roo was killed outright though instantly.

This time round though it was different. The roo was in an odd location for the time of day (10am, almost 5hrs from dawn). So not dawn or dusk. It was alone and immature, again odd, they would normally be more than one, in a juvenile pack or with "mum". And at that time of day, there, it wouldn't normally be crossing the highway either. That's a dawn/dusk thing.

But that said, I've seen 3 beef cattle hit along that 20km stretch of highway in 5 years (one by the lorry behind me despite me changing lanes, putting hazards on, highlighting the bugger with the Aussie strip lights that light up kilometres of road and so on). The lorry didn't continue its journey. They make an even bigger mess of cars, the driver did survive luckily.

One thing roos and wallabies don't like is the sound of the horn. That usually works and it did the job this time around as well. It stopped the roo in its tracks. Sadly it lost is footing because they are top heavy with no grip on gravel or tarmac and that's what cost it it's life. It's also what saved our vehicle from damage because I ran the legs and body over with the wheels. Had it have gone under the middle of the vehicle, we'd have no vehicle now, or hit the roo bars and it would have written the vehicle off at that speed (80-90kph on a 110kph road, I was already on the brakes when it went under the wheels). Plus the vehicle behind me also hit it as well.

They are hard to predict. That's certain. But they do have habits. It's just they don't show until they move, and even then you don't see them well. Their camouflage is excellent. Their eyes don't reflect light either. Brakes and horn are the only things that work. I did both but today it wasn't enough for that roo sadly, but it did work for keeping me safe in the vehicle, so I guess that's a win.

But that said, I've also hit plenty of wildlife in the UK, including red deer (part of living and working rurally). They make a mess of a vehicle as well and are pretty dangerous. We get them here as well. We've seen a couple hit along that highway as well.

If you go north in Finland, Norway or Sweden. you'll play the same game of dodge with reindeer instead. On a bicycle it wasn't as bad because screaming at them worked, but every time a vehicle of any size was around, the reindeer would instantly try to cross the road. We saw plenty of evidence of them not succeeding.
Yes I have had more than one episode of wildlife leaping out in front of me whilst riding, deer goat and rabbit, thats the joys of living in the West Country. Roo's have a bad reputation for killing bikers because of their camouflage and weight distribution, theres no flying over the handle bars if you have a head on with a Roo!

Although my worse kamikaze animal experiences have been in France and with sheep on the Dales in the UK!

Hey karadekoolaid, are you packing to move from Venezuela to Argentina? Looks like they just elected a Trump who looks like Dr. Who and carries a chain saw. :laugh:

CD

Not a hope, mate. They've got 170% inflation; ours is only 95%. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

His chainsaw was all about how he was going to cut government spending. Once people realize what they means, they will be saying, "Wait, I meant spending on OTHER people, not on things I need/want."

It's like people wanting to deport all the Mexicans. When meat prices go up 200-percent because all the meat processing facilities can't find cheap labor, they'll be saying, "Wait, not those Mexicans." And not the ones who pick all the fruits and vegetables for low wages, or do all the work in restaurant kitchens for low wages, or mow their yards for low wages... you get the picture. :facepalm:

CD

Saw the first snowfall of the season today while walking to the train station! It’s not sticking, but we’ve got snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom