The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That smoke from the forest fires in Northern Quebec is back..Some are still smouldering and with a low pressure here, the air is being trapped . I had planned to go for a long ride on my bike yesterday, but I decided not to because of the poor air quality warnings..rainy week coming up..

Sounds OK so long as its not humid. Its been terribly humid and hot here.
Isn't Caracas rather tropical?

It was a little warm and humid yesterday and today, but tomorrow the temps drop to 70F/21C, so considerably better temperature-wise. I do believe it's supposed to rain, though.

Isn't Caracas rather tropical?
I suppose, strictly speaking, it's sub-tropical.
I never seem to notice the humidity, and that's wierd, because when it rains, it pours and the tropical sun comes out... BANG! 100% humidity. I noticed the humidity in the UK last year. Oppressive. Maybe the fact that we're over 3,500 ft above sea level makes a difference, I don't know.
Mind you, I tend to dress in shorts and a T-shirt, no socks and often, no shoes either.

The Grandfather clock just chimed midnight. It is 88F/31C, with a heat index of 95F/35C.

The Texas power grid is struggling. Power has gone down a few times in the last week at my house. The problem is that the night time low temperatures are too hot, right when everyone is at home and demand for electricity is peaking. Fortunately, the power outages have not been too long.

CD

Well, Texas Governot Abbott just did something Florida's Ron DeSantis will have to work hard to beat.

Abbott has signed a new law into effect that would eliminate all local ordinances in Texas requiring mandatory water breaks for construction workers, right when Texas is experiencing record high temperatures (it is currently 102F/39C at my house -- heat index 11F/44C).

The law will nullify ordinances enacted by Austin in 2010 and Dallas in 2015 that established 10-minute breaks every four hours so that construction workers can drink water and protect themselves from the sun. It also prevents other cities from passing such rules in the future. San Antonio has been considering a similar ordinance.

Fortunately, the law won't take effect until September 1, 2023. That gives workers two months of survival. It is not unusual for Texas to have 100-plus temperatures into September.

Why did the Republican Texas Legislature and the Governot do this? Who knows. But, over 60-percent of construction workers in Texas are Mexican immigrants (National Association of Homebuilders data). Just sayin'.

The ball's in your court, Ron.

CD

WHOA!
It’s been a time here in Cowboyville Arizona USA.
I appreciate everyone’s concern for my absence, truly.
I won’t bore you all with the gory details, I’ll just say that I have been very ill for the past two months. I’m still recovering and haven’t got much energy physically or mentally for very much at one time.
My Dearest Husband has been taking care of our day-to-day living and he’s doing a terrific job of it too!
I hope to be back to at least half-speed soon and get posting here again … not that I’m cooking anything yet.
MAHALO! Thank you all.

WHOA!
It’s been a time here in Cowboyville Arizona USA.
I appreciate everyone’s concern for my absence, truly.
I won’t bore you all with the gory details, I’ll just say that I have been very ill for the past two months. I’m still recovering and haven’t got much energy physically or mentally for very much at one time.
My Dearest Husband has been taking care of our day-to-day living and he’s doing a terrific job of it too!
I hope to be back to at least half-speed soon and get posting here again … not that I’m cooking anything yet.
MAHALO! Thank you all.
We really missed you! I hope you are feeling much, much better and continue to do so :hug:

So today the air quality here in Northeast OH is abominable. Yesterday there was thick, hazy smoke from the Canada wildfires over in Chicago (6 hours west) to the point they said on the news it was the worst in the world (similar to New York several weeks back). Today it arrived here and it was so thick this morning my husband said he couldn't see across the street. It's still not very clear outside. The sun was supposed to be out today but it's too hazy to see it well. Visibility for driving has improved somewhat but the air smells horrible. I will be wearing a mask outside and in my car today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom