The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not like we don't get cold winters here. This was from this last December (in Fahrenheit).
View attachment 101818
But since its summer here and nearly July, 53F is a tad bit cool. At least our AC isn't running.

The air quality improved somewhat overnight and is supposed to continue to get better over the weekend.

I fly into the jaws of hell on Monday.
View attachment 101819
I never said you didn't get cold in winter. And I don't see why you think it's an issue. I was simply saying 12°C would be warm compared to right now in this part of Australia. Our inside temperature is only just over that with the fire.

But you'll also have house with insulation, air tight roof spaces and air tight under house spaces. We lack all of that, including central heating and air-conditioning.

The roof space here is designed to be drafty to pull heat away in the the 3 seasons of the year when it's hot. Go into the roof space and you'll see a wide strip all the way around the house that is mouse and bird proof wire. All extractor fans in the bathroom extract moisture directly into the roof space to take advantage of the cooling affect in warmer seasons. It backfires in winter.

The underneath of the house is similar, and in wet winters like this one, because it's been dug out its also full of water. Again it is very drafty under there and it's very humid under there as well.

The end result is that in winter, it is actually warmer living in a tent (and I have camped in -20°C/-4F five or six times for weeks on end over the years).

The only heating is this wood burning stove which isn't coping with the windchill or the high winds or the rain and cold temps. It's fully open right now, burning as hot as it can safely be allowed to, and our inside temperature is only just holding 15°C (59F) in the sitting room. The rest of the house has no heating at all. We've tried the electric fire in the same room as the stove and managed to get the room to 16°C (61F) (2 days ago was much colder than today).

Winter and the bathroom are not fun. All Aussie bathrooms are tiled throughout from what I've seen. I grew up with a carpeted bathroom and a calor gas fire (a gas fire that uses a blue knee height gas bottle for fuel) in the bathroom for cold mornings. I've not seen a calor gas fire in Australia at all. So tiles and no heating at all.

If it were possible to pitch the tent in the house, I would. We'd be warmer, at least.

However, please feel free to ignore my complaints about being cold.

I never said you didn't get cold in winter. And I don't see why you think it's an issue. I was simply saying 12°C would be warm compared to right now in this part of Australia. Our inside temperature is only just over that with the fire.

But you'll also have house with insulation, air tight roof spaces and air tight under house spaces. We lack all of that, including central heating and air-conditioning.

The roof space here is designed to be drafty to pull heat away in the the 3 seasons of the year when it's hot. Go into the roof space and you'll see a wide strip all the way around the house that is mouse and bird proof wire. All extractor fans in the bathroom extract moisture directly into the roof space to take advantage of the cooling affect in warmer seasons. It backfires in winter.

The underneath of the house is similar, and in wet winters like this one, because it's been dug out its also full of water. Again it is very drafty under there and it's very humid under there as well.

The end result is that in winter, it is actually warmer living in a tent (and I have camped in -20°C/-4F five or six times for weeks on end over the years).

The only heating is this wood burning stove which isn't coping with the windchill or the high winds or the rain and cold temps. It's fully open right now, burning as hot as it can safely be allowed to, and our inside temperature is only just holding 15°C (59F) in the sitting room. The rest of the house has no heating at all. We've tried the electric fire in the same room as the stove and managed to get the room to 16°C (61F) (2 days ago was much colder than today).

Winter and the bathroom are not fun. All Aussie bathrooms are tiled throughout from what I've seen. I grew up with a carpeted bathroom and a calor gas fire (a gas fire that uses a blue knee height gas bottle for fuel) in the bathroom for cold mornings. I've not seen a calor gas fire in Australia at all. So tiles and no heating at all.

If it were possible to pitch the tent in the house, I would. We'd be warmer, at least.

However, please feel free to ignore my complaints about being cold.
I'm confused a bit here. I don't have an issue with you? It's winter there, it's sum.er here. You'd said 53F/12C was about right, and it might be nice for winter but it's not right for our summer. I'm definitely not discounting your complaints about the cold.. i feel you on that.

I'm confused a bit here. I don't have an issue with you? It's winter there, it's sum.er here. You'd said 53F/12C was about right, and it might be nice for winter but it's not right for our summer. I'm definitely not discounting your complaints about the cold.. i feel you on that.
Misunderstood

Update on my parents:
My mom has apologised and acknowledged she hasn't been a good parent without me prompting it, which is a huge deal. Mom and I seem to be able to get along in the future. She's taken the time out to reflect, and it shows. It's been lovely to re connect.

As for my father, that's difficult as ever. The man is solid as a rock and never changes his ways, so I'm prepared to change mine in order to have some sort of a relationship but it will never be easy. However, I choose to be the party extending their hand. But I must see where that leads. I have no clue as of right now.

Sad, my mother also believed she raised me bad. First I didn't say anything except for okay and mind my own things. Then she repeated it and I told her: No, you haven't raised me bad, you're a wonderful mother. Then I went on with an old German saying, it's not the mother or the father who raises a child, it's the whole village. Then she was happy again.

Two weeks ago I contacted the hearing services at our local hospital because I need a new swim plug for my ear, my appointment was yesterday which was much sooner than I expected so when she told me it would be 3 to 4 weeks before I get my new ones, well, cannot complain. There are many different colours to chose from which is fine if you are a young child but white is fine for me, a bit more discreet.

It was more reasonable today, with a high of 94F/34C. The cicadas have been really active the last few weeks. Really loud outside.

CD

Trust me, this is a one-time thing because of the new mower:

IMG_4944.jpeg

Weather is still pretty mild here in Germany 20c/68f and occasionally rain.

It was hotter than I expected yesterday, at 99F/37C. But, we got a thunderstorm, with a heavy, soaking rain. It rained for two hours! My yard and gardens are happy, which makes me happy.

It's a bit cooler today. Only 93F/34C.

CD

Wonderfully cooler here after the hottest June on record (or something like that). Its been a pleasant 21 C (69 F).

Get used to it. The so called, "great hoax" of Global Warming is upon us. Of the ten hottest years in recorded Texas history, eight of those years are the last eight years. That includes 2021, the year of the "Big Freeze" in February -- the winter storm that supposedly proved that Global Warming wasn't real. :rolleyes:

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom