The General Chat Thread (2024)

My birthdays coming up soon and everyone has started with ‘What do you want to do, what would you like?” questions and my honest answer is nothing at all, I’d really like to just lie down in a dark room!

I’ve explained I’m honouring my actual day of birth which was definitely spent lying down 😆 but it satisfy’s no-one and they keep on so I’m thinking of nice foods I could have on the day.
So far perhaps some nice seafood from The Fish Society, maybe some olives from Olives direct or maybe some more of those lovely sugared almonds from Fortnum and Masons?

What would you choose?
Any ideas welcome 🤗
Seafood!

My birthdays coming up soon and everyone has started with ‘What do you want to do, what would you like?”
Tell Mr SSOAP to pop you on the back of his Harley-Davidson and whisk you over to Rick Stein's restaurant in Marlborough. They have special 2 course (25 quid) or 3 course (30 quid) menus.

An absolute pig of a day.
Low lights include grown up son in tears which took a lot of input and is still not quite sorted out.
A lengthy telephone nursing assessment for my mum to engage a carer (that she’ll have a fit about and dismiss anyway).
Ordering a webcam for her front door which TOTALLY goes against my feelings about respecting someone’s privacy but what am I supposed to do when she doesn’t answer the phone to anyone?
Then had zero responses from my brothers about coming to help on the morning the carer comes, nice!
And 45 mins in a telephone queue to the Land Registry listening to a message on repeat saying they “cannot expedite applications and will politely refuse” when that’s exactly what I was queuing to ask!

Anyways that’s the day done and I won’t be engaging in any more of my mums ‘orrible duties until thursday so that’s nice.
Another upside - I was so cracked by the time I got to speak to the land registry that within 10 minutes they actually did expedite the application so that’s something! Maybe it’s a test that only the truly desperate get through listening to a message for 40 mins saying we are not going to help you in the hope someone will 🤪 😆

I’m feeling that maybe, just maybe this week wasn’t the best choice to have a dry week 😂

Flying High GIF – Flying High – discover and share GIFs

Last edited:
was so cracked by the time I got to speak to the land registry that within 10 minutes they actually did expedite the application so that’s something.
Well done.
I totally feel for you and the messy things you have to pick up and straighten up.

I barely survived last week, this week is a milimeter better, ho ho ho, we shall see, shall we not. Not.

Also Mom, Dad, daughter...a million tasks...only so many hours in a day.😬😮‍💨

I won't even begin to describe. Hoping things will even out in October or maybe not.

Take care! Best of luck!

Here’s my grumpy phone story from today:

We received a notice a few weeks ago that our power company would be converting current account numbers to new account numbers, and customers should report any issues, especially with billing.

Well…we paid our bill right when they were converting, apparently, because we got this month’s bill, and it was double. Quick review showed that they said they’d never received our payment, which is all done semi-automatically through online banking.

MrsT called and waited on hold for over an hour to get through, and when she did, she was told, “Well, that payment went to the old account number, and we can’t see those any longer. As far as we’re concerned, you never paid us.”

“Yeah, but the bank shows the money being sent to you, and your own voice prompts from when I just called say that payments can still be made to the old accounts, even now, so…”

“You need to call your bank and tell them to cancel that payment. We don’t have it.”

Called the bank, which you know went just swimmingly:

“We can’t do anything about that. The money was paid out, they acknowledged receipt of the payment. We can dispute the charges, but that’s a long shot…you need to call them back.”

After a further 45 minutes on hold with the power company, she had to hang up and do some actual work, so she’ll try again tomorrow.

Grrrrr….

After a further 45 minutes on hold with the power company, she had to hang up and do some actual work
2 y ago I had a saga with an excess el bill, numerous calls, emails and visiting several offices, over several weeks, finally it was approved, as the meter numbers were undisputable.
But it was a ( exhausting) saga.

Hope you manage better and sooner than I did. Best of luck!

Well done.
I totally feel for you and the messy things you have to pick up and straighten up.

I barely survived last week, this week is a milimeter better, ho ho ho, we shall see, shall we not. Not.

Also Mom, Dad, daughter...a million tasks...only so many hours in a day.😬😮‍💨

I won't even begin to describe. Hoping things will even out in October or maybe not.

Take care! Best of luck!

Wishing that luck straight back attcha! 🥰

Didn’t think I’d be the one guilty of mentioning this first but here goes..
Ocado released their first tranche of Chri***mas delivery slots so I stayed up til midnight to snag one and yep I’ve done some Chri***mas food shopping already 😱 😂

Took me less than 15 minutes to chuck over £300 worth of Chri***mas food in the trolley (no booze or turkey added yet) because turns out a lot of that menu is burned into my brain! 😂

Thank you all for your good wishes.
We are counting down the days until surgery. It is very difficult for George. He does not get out of the house except for P.T. of Dr. appointments. I hate shopping but now look forward to it because it gets me out of the house.
Cooking is no longer joyful; it has become a chore. I struggle to change things up and keep things interesting for G. Cooking has become work.
The last two weeks I have been cooking large quantities of protein. I want leftovers to freeze. I want protein cooked so all I have to do is heat it up, add a salad and a vegetable - dinner is served.
I have brisket, meat loaf, lentil soup, a potato minced meat casserole and beef short ribs. Tomorrow I will make a tuna casserole. I will pick up two rotisserie chickens from Costco. We will have dinner off of one. The remainder will be chicken celery soup. The second chicken will be cut in half and frozen. The day we get home from the hospital I will get George situated and make a quick trip to the vegetable market to stock up. I feel like I am preparing for a siege. Either that or I am losing my mind. :hyper:
It is late. I just remembered i have to put the trash out for pick up. That is something else G always took care of.
Love you all. I will try to stay intouch.

Thank you all for your good wishes.
We are counting down the days until surgery. It is very difficult for George. He does not get out of the house except for P.T. of Dr. appointments. I hate shopping but now look forward to it because it gets me out of the house.
Cooking is no longer joyful; it has become a chore. I struggle to change things up and keep things interesting for G. Cooking has become work.
The last two weeks I have been cooking large quantities of protein. I want leftovers to freeze. I want protein cooked so all I have to do is heat it up, add a salad and a vegetable - dinner is served.
I have brisket, meat loaf, lentil soup, a potato minced meat casserole and beef short ribs. Tomorrow I will make a tuna casserole. I will pick up two rotisserie chickens from Costco. We will have dinner off of one. The remainder will be chicken celery soup. The second chicken will be cut in half and frozen. The day we get home from the hospital I will get George situated and make a quick trip to the vegetable market to stock up. I feel like I am preparing for a siege. Either that or I am losing my mind. :hyper:
It is late. I just remembered i have to put the trash out for pick up. That is something else G always took care of.
Love you all. I will try to stay intouch.

Have you looked at the Tavola thingy Medran uses? Sounds like it could be a decent friend to back you up while you’re having to expend your energies elsewhere?

GOOD LUCK 🤞

Back
Top Bottom