The General Chat Thread (2024)

It was 109° in Phoenix as we left at about 11am (it got up to 115° later).
Maybe halfway up the mountain, heading back home, traffic came to a screeching halt!
And there we sat for AN HOUR!
I didn't want to car to over heat, so turned the engine off and left the windows down for at least some oxygen, even though it seemed like it was coming from a dragon. 🔥🐲
As everyone started to move again, we passed what the hold up had been.
A car had set on fire and was burnt to oblivion!
I had seen some black smoke coming from the bluff above us just we were stopped.
Now we both have terrible headaches from being so dehydrated.
First thing I did once we got ourselves situated was to make us each a electrolyte drink to rehydrate in a hurry.

Those sorts of temperatures are extreme. 99% of the population has no idea how to manage that kind of heat. However; I think many of us are beginning to understand.
Yeah it's not extreme for Phoenix. I don't know how my cousins can tolerate it. No humidity either. And with the mountains trapping the smog, visibility can be quite poor. When I go visit it's only during winter months.

Its why I always have a couple bottles of water lying in the car!
Our roads are better now, but we could get stuck for hours in the mountains.
Not much fun

Its why I always have a couple bottles of water lying in the car!
Our roads are better now, but we could get stuck for hours in the mountains.
Not much fun
I keep water in the car too but the roads here are pretty good and I'm not likely to get stuck anywhere.

Oh dear I’ve just read about the storm damage in the US. Hope everyone is ok 🤞
One of my sisters lives 13 miles from the Gulf coast, just south of Tallahassee, Florida. Her house is about an hour west of Perry, which is where the storm's eye came ashore. She spent the past few days and nights at her work office in Tallahassee and is safe, but the roads are impassable currently to check on her house (she's likely without power). My oldest brother lives about an hour northeast of her and he and his wife also lost power but are otherwise ok, just a few downed trees and other debris but they stayed put in their house and no damage. My other family members in north Florida are all ok.

There were more known deaths in other states so far but I expect the numbers will climb in all of the storm affected areas. My sister knew people who refused to evacuate because they were afraid of looters or insisted that they'd be fine because their house had been there for 70 years. It's crazy thinking.

One of my sisters lives 13 miles from the Gulf coast, just south of Tallahassee, Florida. Her house is about an hour west of Perry, which is where the storm's eye came ashore. She spent the past few days and nights at her work office in Tallahassee and is safe, but the roads are impassable currently to check on her house (she's likely without power). My oldest brother lives about an hour northeast of her and he and his wife also lost power but are otherwise ok, just a few downed trees and other debris but they stayed put in their house and no damage. My other family members in north Florida are all ok.

There were more known deaths in other states so far but I expect the numbers will climb in all of the storm affected areas. My sister knew people who refused to evacuate because they were afraid of looters or insisted that they'd be fine because their house had been there for 70 years. It's crazy thinking.
So glad you have been able to contact your family and they are okay. I will never forget how worried we were when we couldn't contact Craig's brothers after Hurricane Charlie in 1992 for over a day.

Hopefully her house will be okay. We lived a little over an hour north of where hurricane Andrew, a cat 5, made landfall in 1992 and only had minor roof tile damage, with mostly tree and bush damage to clean up, though did have hellacious weather. We did have shutters and metal awnings to cover windows. Our power was out for a little over a week.

Did you hear that at least 1 of the sheriffs in the expected landfall areas was asking people in evacuation zones who decided to stay to write their name and DOB on their body in permanent marker so they could be easily identified?

Last edited:
Did you hear that at least 1 of the sheriffs in the expected landfall areas was asking people in evacuation zones who decided to stay to write their name and DOB on their body in permanent marker so they could be easily identified?
Glad you got through those storms ok, wow! I remember as a kid when Camille hit. We had no power for 5 days. A neighbor's shed from 4 houses down was wrapped around a tree in our front yard and we lost a few roof shingles. Mom fired up the grill and all the meat that had thawed from the freezer she cooked and fed to the neighborhood. Mom was really smart and had filled the bathtub and empty milk jugs with water so we had water to drink and to flush the toilet.

Yeah pretty sure that a sheriff in Wakulla County which is where my sister lives did that.

RIP Tottie
(The woolly one in the foreground)
1000059021.jpg

Thanks
He was an old man, so I've been expecting it for a while.
But still:cry:
It's never easy losing a beloved. When my dog died many years ago I couldn't bring myself to get another. It might have been less painful if I'd had another pet. You can find solace in your other Jack Russell, he or she is grieving too.

Back
Top Bottom