The General Chat Thread (2024)

Glad we don't have to pay the full price for the covid antiviral drugs I qualify for!

20240202_182001.jpg

I just accidentally for a millisecond rang the number of the tiny Thai terror that beat me up under the auspices or giving me a foot massage.
She rang back and said You ok? I said yep, well quite battered. Oh how she chuckled and through a quite an evil sounding laugh said ok see you next week, enjoy your pain 😆

No Poirot for you then 😆
By noir I guess this means it’s scarier and tending to more of the thriller end of the scale?
I love Poirot and wish we could have discussed him more 😍 Noir is a specific genre inside crime fiction. Started in the US with writers like Raymond Chandler and Dashiel Hammett. Modern days it's mostly nordic noir which is really gruesome and violent, but it wasn't like that when the genre started. USA noir (called hardboiled in the US) appeared in the time of the prohibition and deal with themes like trafficking, and gangs, and corrupt police forces, and it was violent but not graphic.

I love Poirot and wish we could have discussed him more 😍 Noir is a specific genre inside crime fiction. Started in the US with writers like Raymond Chandler and Dashiel Hammett. Modern days it's mostly nordic noir which is really gruesome and violent, but it wasn't like that when the genre started. USA noir (called hardboiled in the US) appeared in the time of the prohibition and deal with themes like trafficking, and gangs, and corrupt police forces, and it was violent but not graphic.
I’m familiar with Nordic noir which I’m not a huge fan of but not the term “hardboiled”
Bit of Poirot and a cup of tea though, lovely.
Interesting course, as Poirot would say “If the little grey cells are not exercised they grow the rust” 😆

Great that you’ve got them. Is this your first tango with covid?
Yes. I wouldn't be here if I caught it earlier in the pandemic. My lungs are not good as you have probably worked out.
Luckily I seem to have had a better night's sleep (it's 5am here right now) than the previous night which will help. I'm just up for a drink because my throat is dry and hurting.

I've just got to keep it off my chest otherwise I'll end up in hospital.

Last edited:
Yes. I wouldn't be here if I caught it earlier in the pandemic. My lungs are not good as you have probably worked out.
Luckily I seem to have had a better night's sleep (it's 5am here right now) than the previous night which will help. I'm just up for a drink because my throat is dry and hurting.

I've just got to keep it off my chest otherwise I'll end up in hospital.
Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m familiar with Nordic noir which I’m not a huge fan of but not the term “hardboiled”
Bit of Poirot and a cup of tea though, lovely.
Interesting course, as Poirot would say “If the little grey cells are not exercised they grow the rust” 😆

Loved watching Poirot, David Suchet was spot on.

Back
Top Bottom