The General Chat Thread (2024)

Aggravated with Kroger (what else is new?) - their phone app, which I live and die by, has stopped functioning. I can log in through their website, but their app, it just sits…it doesn’t even spin.

Deleted the app, restarted the phone, reset password…still not working, and it’s been this way for two days.

MrsT called their tech support, and I know it’s easy to complain about tech support, but theirs is exceptionally horrible - even local store workers have complained to me about them. As expected, no help from tech support.

Now it’s just sit and wait for…how many days? Weeks? I use the app not just for my list, but for automatically paying for my purchases, and something that’s often overlooked - I pay for fuel using my Kroger app, making it a touchless process, which is important because we have real issues with credit card skimmers here.

Just had a fox come through the garden.
Hubby chased it away.

Luckily it is still too dark and dismal this morning (we're in low cloud) for the daylight sensor automatic chook doors to have opened, so the girls are all still in the chook house itself. Normally they'd be out by now but behind a poultry electric fence. The fox gives the electric fence a wide berth even when the chooks are visible. They don't get to free range until 10:30am until dusk at 8pm right now. That's when they're most at risk.

UGHHHHHH!!!

I’m in a meeting that has absolutely nothing to do with my job, with approximately 200 other people, and it’s the driest crap I’ve had to listen to in a while. It all sounds like this:

“We’re leveraging over aggregate build-outs for a framework of diriviting enhancements in an attempt to provide meaningful confluence-building while transitionalizing our powermaking survivorship in a consolidation effort based on nullification and centralizing attribution…”

And it’s a 2-hour meeting! That was the first 15 minutes!

UGHHHHHH!!!

I’m in a meeting that has absolutely nothing to do with my job, with approximately 200 other people, and it’s the driest crap I’ve had to listen to in a while. It all sounds like this:

“We’re leveraging over aggregate build-outs for a framework of diriviting enhancements in an attempt to provide meaningful confluence-building while transitionalizing our powermaking survivorship in a consolidation effort based on nullification and centralizing attribution…”

And it’s a 2-hour meeting! That was the first 15 minutes!
This is where knitting, crochet and a few other handicrafts come in useful. Knit out of sight of the camera and the meeting will fly by.

This is where knitting, crochet and a few other handicrafts come in useful. Knit out of sight of the camera and the meeting will fly by.
My whole team is this, up through two managers over me, and none of us can figure out why we were invited.

We have a side chat going that is basically:

“Does anyone know why we’re in this?”
“No, I have no idea what they’re talking about.”
“What does purchments mean? Did she just say purchments? Idk what that is “
“Idk what she said. This is crazy.”

My whole team is this, up through two managers over me, and none of us can figure out why we were invited.

We have a side chat going that is basically:

“Does anyone know why we’re in this?”
“No, I have no idea what they’re talking about.”
“What does purchments mean? Did she just say purchments? Idk what that is “
“Idk what she said. This is crazy.”
My department used to have a Monday morning meeting that stayed at 9am. This was a meeting that involved telling me what I needed to get done for the week.

I'd get to work at 8am and manage maybe 45 minutes work before the meeting. That would consist of checking the backups had worked over the weekend and changing the DLT library tapes over for the coming week.
9am would come and the meeting start. I'd have to leave it at 11am to run the help desk for the student break which ran till 11:30am. I'd have to take lunch at 12pm in order to run the help desk over lunchtime at 1pm till 2:15pm. Help desk again at 3:30pm till 5pm.

That was my Monday, gone. So much for planning the week ahead. That meeting only ever prevented me from getting work done, not aiding it.

I read a thing about gen Z’s work ethic. They don’t mind hard work but hate group meetings more than any other generation. Mentioning one has them heading out of the door as fast as possible. It said that gen Z often come across as blunt or even rude because gen Z tend to prefer being direct, they view anything else as wasting time and they want to get the job done well, on time and go home. It also said they’re only blunt about things they care about, if they don’t care they’re happy to sit back and watch things fall apart.

Recognised a few of those traits in me and mine, made me laugh.

My department used to have a Monday morning meeting that stayed at 9am.
We used to have team meetings three times a week, in person in our manager’s small office. Basically a morning huddle.

Monday and Wednesday, meeting was 8:30AM, Friday meeting was 3:30PM. Because of my driving distance, I was always allowed to leave at 3:30PM and I’d just dial in to my manager’s office phone and he’d put the speaker on.

This happened every week and used to drive me up a wall:

Friday - “Tasty…yeah, uh, we need to capture outgoing invoice files and reformat the header and footer records after they pass out of our accounting software, but before they get to the print vendor. I want you to do that.”

“Ok, I’ll get with you Monday morning for the specifics. Shouldn’t be too hard.”

Monday - “Ok, Tasty, your turn…let’s see…you’re working on…the invoice files. How far along are you on that?”

Oh, you mean the job you gave me at the end of the last workday, and we haven’t even started this workday? That job? Yeah, I’m all done with that, you doofus! Sure I am. I finished it in my <bleeping> sleep! 🤦🏻‍♂️

I might be hiding in the cinema on Sunday ( if there is anything on worth watching)

Screenshot_20240201_130609_Weatherzone+.jpg

We’re leveraging over aggregate build-outs for a framework of diriviting enhancements in an attempt to provide meaningful confluence-building while transitionalizing our powermaking survivorship in a consolidation effort based on nullification and ...
I picked up a reel the other day on Instagram; two Ozzie comics taking the p*** out of corporate gibberish. Have to admit I was in stitches, so I didn't catch it all, but the gist was something like interrupting the bloke and saying:
"SIMON???? What the *()%"%Y&(O% is that all about?? Do you even know what meaningful confluence building means?? Of course you don't, you "£_%%%^^(***!!!"

Back
Top Bottom