The General Chat Thread (2024)

After all the rain we had yesterday, wouldn't be surprised if we had floods again, it was dry when I left work, half way home the heavens opened so I was soaked to the skin by the time I got home.

After all the rain we had yesterday, wouldn't be surprised if we had floods again, it was dry when I left work, half way home the heavens opened so I was soaked to the skin by the time I got home.
We had unexpected rain overnight as well. At midnight a 3hr thunderstorm parked itself over our mountain. 30mm of rain later it left. The day's total was 38.4mm. We were forecast 5mm!

I'm expecting more tonight, especially given that the temperature has dropped to below 12°C already and it's not yet 9pm.

I’m in a meeting, and the person leading it, I happen to know where she’s from (same area as me), and I can’t help but smile at how hard she’s hitting her Midwest accent.

It just so happens that she has to say the word “customer” a lot in her presentation. Now, Midwest, we frequently soften T’s, pronouncing them more as D’s or even N’s, depending on the word.

She’s completely eliminated it. She keeps saying “cuss-simmer” for “customer,” and it’s like every fifth word, so now I can’t stop hearing it, and I’m afraid it’s going to infect me, because I say it properly… “cuss-dumber.” :laugh:

I’m in a meeting, and the person leading it, I happen to know where she’s from (same area as me), and I can’t help but smile at how hard she’s hitting her Midwest accent.

It just so happens that she has to say the word “customer” a lot in her presentation. Now, Midwest, we frequently soften T’s, pronouncing them more as D’s or even N’s, depending on the word.

She’s completely eliminated it. She keeps saying “cuss-simmer” for “customer,” and it’s like every fifth word, so now I can’t stop hearing it, and I’m afraid it’s going to infect me, because I say it properly… “cuss-dumber.” :laugh:

Quite an earworm :laugh:

Sending your uni student sprogs food is frowned on by some sections in the UK, it's considered helicopter parenting so I don't tell anyone I occasionally do send them a food delivery (oh the shame 😜 ).

In my defence it's because it was my mistake not bringing them up on pot noodles and baked beans which has left them with tastes they can't afford 😂
So every now and then when I know they're spent out and living on plain pasta I send them something they'll not have had in a while.

If I find good tea or chocolate I tend to get some for my bezzie too. If I make a dish I know my Dad will love I'll drop one off for him.

Do you send or leave food for other people? If so who do you like to send what?

Sending your uni student sprogs food is frowned on by some sections in the UK, it's considered helicopter parenting so I don't tell anyone I occasionally do send them a food delivery (oh the shame 😜 ).

In my defence it's because it was my mistake not bringing them up on pot noodles and baked beans which has left them with tastes they can't afford 😂
So every now and then when I know they're spent out and living on plain pasta I send them something they'll not have had in a while.

If I find good tea or chocolate I tend to get some for my bezzie too. If I make a dish I know my Dad will love I'll drop one off for him.

Do you send or leave food for other people? If so who do you like to send what?
When I lived in the UK and my grandfather was still alive, I used to go over and cook for him. He loved my Grannie's vegetable lasagne, and I would also make a miniature Christmas cake (lined a sweetcorn tin). He also loved scones, so I'd stack his freezer once a month with several batches.

My mother would also have me make her a Christmas cake in October each year as well. There were quite a few dishes I'd make for them.

Life's a bit easier now living in the other side of the globe in that sense.

When I lived in the UK and my grandfather was still alive, I used to go over and cook for him. He loved my Grannie's vegetable lasagne, and I would also make a miniature Christmas cake (lined a sweetcorn tin). He also loved scones, so I'd stack his freezer once a month with several batches.

My mother would also have me make her a Christmas cake in October each year as well. There were quite a few dishes I'd make for them.

Life's a bit easier now living in the other side of the globe in that sense.

What's a sweetcorn tin?

Last edited:
What's a sweetcorn tin?
The tin that sweetcorn comes in. It's flatter and wider than a tin of say baked beans...

640x640sweetcorn.jpg

I'm currently being kept awake by one of our weird thunderstorms.

The sky is clear. I can see stars and the moon is quite bright with a stunning moonshadow that you could read in. I can also see lightning very frequently (every minute) and some of it is very bright and I can hear occasional very low level thunder.

I think it's because we live in top of a mountain range overlooking the plains to the north which are having a very intense thunderstorm. It's being reflected off the atmosphere. But I can see the lightning even with my eyes closed. I don't understand how my hubby sleeps through it.

MrsT has developed a raging UTI, with some symptoms indicating upper infection (kidneys), but not all the symptoms of that.

She felt bad enough last night that we called the triage nurse and she said as long as there was no vomiting or fever, to take a certain OTC med to help with the spasms and report to the doc first thing in the AM.

We just came from there and got a gentle scolding for using the recommended OTC med, because it throws off the urine test - well, excuse me for following the nurse’s recommendation! 😤

Now we’re having breakfast nearby waiting to here from the doc.

MrsT has developed a raging UTI, with some symptoms indicating upper infection (kidneys), but not all the symptoms of that.

She felt bad enough last night that we called the triage nurse and she said as long as there was no vomiting or fever, to take a certain OTC med to help with the spasms and report to the doc first thing in the AM.

We just came from there and got a gentle scolding for using the recommended OTC med, because it throws off the urine test - well, excuse me for following the nurse’s recommendation! 😤

Now we’re having breakfast nearby waiting to here from the doc.
They can be very serious and if the symptoms are severe should be treated as a medical emergency.
Hope she's feeling better soon 🤞

They can be very serious and if the symptoms are severe should be treated as a medical emergency.
Hope she's feeling better soon 🤞
Thanks. Well, the annoying thing is, her doctor prescribed an antibiotic that interacts with her methotrexate, and not just a “slight upset tummy” interaction, but a “life-threatening complications” interaction. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I remember when patients blindly trusted their doctors, but those days are long gone.

Ugh, I’m killing time between shifts of after-hours work.

First, I got called at 6AM this morning for an unexpected job failure. Then I got pulled into an emergency that went from around 2PM-5PM - that’s a long time for me to be on a phone call. Friday afternoons are supposed to be easy. 😖

Then back on at 10PM for some scheduled maintenance - that went until just after 11PM.

Off to bed? Nope! I’ve got a second round of maintenance, starting at 00:15, it’ll last about a half-hour if I’m lucky.

…and another one for tomorrow night (technically in the wee hours of Sunday AM)!

Monday’s a holiday, but I already know I’m working at least two night tasks next week. 😪

Back
Top Bottom