The General Chat Thread (2024)

Ugh, I’m killing time between shifts of after-hours work.

First, I got called at 6AM this morning for an unexpected job failure. Then I got pulled into an emergency that went from around 2PM-5PM - that’s a long time for me to be on a phone call. Friday afternoons are supposed to be easy. 😖

Then back on at 10PM for some scheduled maintenance - that went until just after 11PM.

Off to bed? Nope! I’ve got a second round of maintenance, starting at 00:15, it’ll last about a half-hour if I’m lucky.

…and another one for tomorrow night (technically in the wee hours of Sunday AM)!

Monday’s a holiday, but I already know I’m working at least two night tasks next week. 😪
Sounds horrible.
When do you get to retire?
Or are you someone who doesn't want to?

I'm watching my older sister and brother deal with retirement..I wouldn't want their lives right now..I'd sooner deal with the same every day challenges I have.
I’m the last of my siblings to still be working. The last one just retired at the first of the year at 63yo.

The oldest retired at 62, the next one at 65, the one after that at 62, then 63, and my sister has been on disability since Covid (she should have gone on it 20 years ago), and she’s 60.

I’m about to the point of dropping off our brotherly group chat, because all it is all day long is, “Damn, I sure am glad I’m retired,” and “Ain’t being retired great,” and “I sure wish I’d have retired years ago.” - it’s enough to make me sick. :laugh:

They all live very, very simple lives, though. MrsT has grand plans that will probably have me wishing I was back at work after two months. :laugh:

I’ve been self employed most of my life so I don’t have group pension that would kick in and I actually like what I do. My partner is 7 years younger than me so she has a lot of time left to go and we are doing this together so I’ll just keep going until I can’t. I can’t imagine sitting at home willingly. After a long weekend I’m already getting antsy…our Federal pension is mandatory by the age of 67. I’ve been fortunate with good health so I think I’ll go another 5 years..lol

our Federal pension is mandatory by the age of 67.
The way it works here, I can start drawing my government pension at 62, but the longer I put it off, the more I can draw, up to 70.

I’ve consistently told MrsT, “I’m done at 62!” but she’s more money-oriented than I am, so she always says, “Well, we’ll talk about it when your 62!” :laugh:

My brothers all just knock around their little areas, going fishing, working on things around the house. They never go on a vacation or even out to eat, except for McD’s or something like that. The most expensive thing they’ll do is pull a little pop-up camper to a nearby state park and go fishing and grill out burgers and hot dogs.

That ain’t gonna cut it for MrsT (nor me, either). I’m fine with the doing nothing all day, but I want to do it in some 18th century weaver’s cottage somewhere in Scotland or something like that. :laugh:

Any hobby I’m interested in I already partake in and have for years. Music, hiking, vegetable gardening, cooking, restaurants, etc. I don’t care for air travel anymore. The glamor of it all is lost on me. I’ll just jump in my car and check out North America. I wouldn’t give a nickel to golf or fishing.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts on retirement.
I never "retired"as such, and I'd hate to think of just sitting around all day, watching TV. Far too hyperactive. I'm going to keep on till I drop.
I've got a buddy in South Carolina who decided, 8 years ago, that he was going to retire and write novels.
He does nothing all day except "write". None published yet. Doesn't help around the house, lives off his kids, and has lost contact with all his buddies over here. What a waste.

He does nothing all day except "write". None published yet. Doesn't help around the house, lives off his kids, and has lost contact with all his buddies over here. What a waste.
Just speaking philosophically, if that’s what he wants to do and his kids don’t mind, then it really isn’t a waste, is it?

He may be sitting there looking at very physically active retirees and thinking, “How exhausting! They’re rushing around like crazy, still looking for ‘it’ and I’ve already found ‘it!’ What a waste!”

To each their own, I say, and those who’ve retired from a career or paid working life, whatever that word means, they’ve earned spending it how they like.

My biggest thing that I’m personally looking for…having as little of a schedule as possible. Of course, it won’t be possible to be 100% schedule-free, but that’s probably my main complaint with working life - my time is not my own. I have to be here when my employer says, “Be here!” and I have to be there when my employer says, “Be there!” and, assuming I want to be paid and get my health insurance (which really is the main driver at this stage of my life), I have very little say in the matter.

That’s why I always seem celebratory, to a certain extent, when MrsT is out of town solo. I always take a few days vacation, and for those three or four lovely days, I don’t have to fix anyone anything to eat (except for myself), and I don’t have to drive anyone here or there (except myself), I don’t have to reach a consensus on this or that, and I don’t have an employer telling my Friday at 11AM, “Oh yeah, I knew about this two weeks ago but forgot to tell you…you’re working tonight from 11PM-2AM - why don’t you leave 30 minutes early as a little reward. Aren’t I a great boss!” 😒

Freedom, that’s the big thing. Freedom to write all day, sleep all day, watch TV all day, or cook for 50 or totally redo the garden, whatever…as long as it’s my choice.

Weather’s too bad for my usual running around, so MrsT is in the back on the phone with her friend, and I’m about to start my third movie of the day - all movies that MrsT would have no interest in, so she’d otherwise sit here and interrupt me, or loudly play videos on her phone, or sit and pick apart the plot - it’s like a little six-hour mini-vacation!

I think we spend a certain amount of time being happy and unhappy...I also think that struggle of some kind is essential for happiness and having a sense of purpose..at the very least it is a good distraction from the ills, aches, and pains that come with growing old..

And, retirement is the final chapter..my plot still thickens..:dance:

Last edited:
Just speaking philosophically, if that’s what he wants to do and his kids don’t mind, then it really isn’t a waste, is it?

He may be sitting there looking at very physically active retirees and thinking, “How exhausting! They’re rushing around like crazy, still looking for ‘it’ and I’ve already found ‘it!’ What a waste!”

To each their own, I say, and those who’ve retired from a career or paid working life, whatever that word means, they’ve earned spending it how they like.

My biggest thing that I’m personally looking for…having as little of a schedule as possible. Of course, it won’t be possible to be 100% schedule-free, but that’s probably my main complaint with working life - my time is not my own. I have to be here when my employer says, “Be here!” and I have to be there when my employer says, “Be there!” and, assuming I want to be paid and get my health insurance (which really is the main driver at this stage of my life), I have very little say in the matter.

That’s why I always seem celebratory, to a certain extent, when MrsT is out of town solo. I always take a few days vacation, and for those three or four lovely days, I don’t have to fix anyone anything to eat (except for myself), and I don’t have to drive anyone here or there (except myself), I don’t have to reach a consensus on this or that, and I don’t have an employer telling my Friday at 11AM, “Oh yeah, I knew about this two weeks ago but forgot to tell you…you’re working tonight from 11PM-2AM - why don’t you leave 30 minutes early as a little reward. Aren’t I a great boss!” 😒

Freedom, that’s the big thing. Freedom to write all day, sleep all day, watch TV all day, or cook for 50 or totally redo the garden, whatever…as long as it’s my choice.

Weather’s too bad for my usual running around, so MrsT is in the back on the phone with her friend, and I’m about to start my third movie of the day - all movies that MrsT would have no interest in, so she’d otherwise sit here and interrupt me, or loudly play videos on her phone, or sit and pick apart the plot - it’s like a little six-hour mini-vacation!

Yes! FREEDOM that’s the point. Master of your own time and direction.

Being too tired or time poor to do or see the things you want to because you’re busy being part of earning someone else a profit, having to live your life according to someone else’s whims or abilities is from my point of view something to get away from as soon as you can.

People who work for themselves are a different kettle of fish. There is no comparison.

Yes! FREEDOM that’s the point. Master of your own time and direction.
This is what I want:

Edmund Blackadder, Esq, Butler to the Prince: [to the 'Compte du Frou Frou] How would like a chance to earn some money?

Lord Topper: Non. I would like other people to earn it and then give it to me. Just like in France in the good old days!

I’m with Lord Topper! :laugh:

This is what I want:

Edmund Blackadder, Esq, Butler to the Prince: [to the 'Compte du Frou Frou] How would like a chance to earn some money?

Lord Topper: Non. I would like other people to earn it and then give it to me. Just like in France in the good old days!

I’m with Lord Topper! :laugh:
Might not mention that to the French 😬 😂

Back
Top Bottom