The General Chat Thread (2024)

It’s not in his wallet, his pockets, his car or any other place he might have put it down.
Mr SSOAP who is very good at finding things helped him looked, nada.
So it’s cancelled. Heyho.
Well you'd said it was cancelled. So yeah. At least no one unethical found it and tried to use it. Here in the US that happens alot since debit cards can be used without PIN numbers at most places. Which is why I only use credit cards (I pay them off each month). I cut up my bank debit cards when they came in the mail.

Here in the states we do have the capacity to freeze credit cards but not sure if that's available for bank debit cards.

Well you'd said it was cancelled. So yeah. At least no one unethical found it and tried to use it. Here in the US that happens alot since debit cards can be used without PIN numbers at most places. Which is why I only use credit cards (I pay them off each month). I cut up my bank debit cards when they came in the mail.

Here in the states we do have the capacity to freeze credit cards but not sure if that's available for bank debit cards.
Yes you can easily freeze and unfreeze your card instantly using the banks app. They can be used contactless up to £100 per transaction so if a thief was fast they could easily do some damage.

But they’re pretty hot on it, I went shopping about two months ago (I very rarely go shopping) and made a few purchases (probably four) at a mall in fast succession (so I could get out quick!) and the next transaction wouldn’t go through, the shop received a message from the bank to call them to verify the transaction. It was only for a small amount, about £60 but they obviously have algorithms running that detect what is unusual activity for you.

In the UK so long as you promptly report your debit card missing you will be refunded any fraudulent purchases same as with a credit card so there’s not a lot in it.

Here credit cards are slightly more protected but not enough for me to bother with one.

Plus I keep the main household account running fairly lean and transfer everything out into accounts that aren’t used much if at all so I don’t worry too much about it 👍

Yes you can easily freeze and unfreeze your card instantly using the banks app. They can be used contactless up to £100 per transaction so if a thief was fast they could easily do some damage.

But they’re pretty hot on it, I went shopping about two months ago (I very rarely go shopping) and made a few purchases (probably four) at a mall in fast succession (so I could get out quick!) and the next transaction wouldn’t go through, the shop received a message from the bank to call them to verify the transaction. It was only for a small amount, about £60 but they obviously have algorithms running that detect what is unusual activity for you.

In the UK so long as you promptly report your debit card missing you will be refunded any fraudulent purchases same as with a credit card so there’s not a lot in it.

Here credit cards are slightly more protected but not enough for me to bother with one.

Plus I keep the main household account running fairly lean and transfer everything out into accounts that aren’t used much if at all so I don’t worry too much about it 👍
Yeah, I typically like to use my credit cards for rewards points and travel miles and I get a lot of perks that way--free gift cards or statement credits, free hotel stays, free flights, etc.

But about the shopping at several stores in a row--we have the same thing with the credit card companies here. I work for a company freelance that does product retrievals where I sometimes have to go to a store, look for certain date codes and UPC codes of the recalled product, and purchase the affected product. After an afternoon of spending a considerable amount of money at a few stores, one of my cards won't work on the next purchase, but I will get a text message alert letting me know and asking if it is me making the purchase. I generally keep 3-4 different cards on me so I can quickly whip out a different card so as to not keep people waiting in line behind me, then I will let the CC company know that it was me so they can unlock the card...

Yeah, I typically like to use my credit cards for rewards points and travel miles and I get a lot of perks that way--free gift cards or statement credits, free hotel stays, free flights, etc.

But about the shopping at several stores in a row--we have the same thing with the credit card companies here. I work for a company freelance that does product retrievals where I sometimes have to go to a store, look for certain date codes and UPC codes of the recalled product, and purchase the affected product. After an afternoon of spending a considerable amount of money at a few stores, one of my cards won't work on the next purchase, but I will get a text message alert letting me know and asking if it is me making the purchase. I generally keep 3-4 different cards on me so I can quickly whip out a different card so as to not keep people waiting in line behind me, then I will let the CC company know that it was me so they can unlock the card...
The algorithms seem to be quite good at picking out unusual patterns and rejecting payments.
I don’t think I’d like your job, too much walking 😆

The algorithms seem to be quite good at picking out unusual patterns and rejecting payments.
I don’t think I’d like your job, too much walking 😆
I like it! I spend way more time in the car than I do in the stores. I don't really think it's too hard at all and I only take as much work as I want, plus sometimes there's paid travel to nearby states so I get to view pretty scenery out the window on the way.

It's brilliant the distance modern Bluetooth can reach. I can still listen to my lecture at the other end of the house when I'm taking a bathroom break in the middle of a 3hr (6-9pm) lecture! (The mute button is on override at the lecturer's end, so no accidentally tapping the headphones and activating it!)

The only issue I've found (separately) is if you turn the microwave on. Then you'll lose the connection.

Last edited:
The only issue I've found (separately) is if you turn the microwave on. Then you'll lose the connection.
That’s happens here as well. I can stand in the kitchen, listening to a meeting, pour a tea refill, and the moment I press the button to reheat it a bit in the microwave, it drops the connection.

Back
Top Bottom