The General Chat Thread (2024)

I read a few post and think OMG we are a bunch of old people who like to cook. I include myself and my husband. We spend more time and miles going to doctor's appointments and the pharmacy. At 71 I am too young to be this old. My body is cratering. My 92-year-old Mother has Dementia and forgets anything recent. Physically she is amazing and more fit than I am.

So after the first week of study, I've reached 1 conclusion. My old laptop can't handle what I need it to do. The CPU is maxing out 4 or 5 times a day and just sitting at 100%. And then it crashes. The fan cuts in and so on.

Sadly it has always been the CPU that was the issue with this laptop and the only reason it can't be upgraded to Windows 11. So I've taken advantage of being a student and claimed my 10% off a new laptop.

I got 7 years out of this laptop. I'll rebuild it and put Ubuntu on it when I've migrated to the new one. Hopefully the new one will last a similar period. Now just to wait to see if the new one arrives or if the company I ordered from is affected by these global IT issues.

So after the first week of study, I've reached 1 conclusion. My old laptop can't handle what I need it to do. The CPU is maxing out 4 or 5 times a day and just sitting at 100%. And then it crashes. The fan cuts in and so on.

Sadly it has always been the CPU that was the issue with this laptop and the only reason it can't be upgraded to Windows 11. So I've taken advantage of being a student and claimed my 10% off a new laptop.

I got 7 years out of this laptop. I'll rebuild it and put Ubuntu on it when I've migrated to the new one. Hopefully the new one will last a similar period. Now just to wait to see if the new one arrives or if the company I ordered from is affected by these global IT issues.
I just upgraded my pc not too long ago. It's always nice to get new hardware.

We spend more time and miles going to doctor's appointments and the pharmacy.
I’m the youngest of six (I’m 58, oldest is 68 in about a month), and I’d be ashamed to say how much of our sibling chat is dominated by talk of meds, shoulders, colonoscopies, docs’ appointments, ED, memory loss, and everything else that creeps up on you as you get older.

The pharmacy workers don’t just know our names, they know our birthdays, and as soon as they see us coming, they’ve already pulled up our records and are fetching our meds for us! :laugh:

A couple of the techs and 1 of the pharmacists that have been there a long time know our names, though not our birthdays.
What amazes me is, one of the “girls” (I put that in quotes, because she’s much younger than us)…I got to thinking about it earlier this week when I was in picking something up…she’s been there as long as we’ve been going there, which makes 20 years, and she still looks like she’s about 30yo! She looks exactly the same as the first time I met her.

It's snowing big fat wet snowflakes ❄️ .

But the place is sodden from overnight rain, so it's not going to stick unless it stays showing overnight.

High winds have also brought down a huge tree not long before hubby was due to get home only 3km from our house. He ended up doing the dreaded 82km detour. (The round trip is 85km from our house to the highway, head north, to the highway intersection, back south along the other highway and then off back towards our house from the other direction.) It seems he was the first through to encounter the tree, but he also told me that he'd seen it on the way out and realised it's angle had changed and knew it was going to come down.

Today's temperatures range. Started at midnight last night...

It did drop below 2°C at 3pm today but the graph is at set 15 minute intervals, so it doesn't show.

Screenshot_20240720_212700_Ecowitt.jpg

The windchill has taken about 10°C off those temperatures. ❄️

Going to bed at the moment is a case of wearing layers!

Urgh. My son lost my bank card, I’ve waited a week for him to find it and he has tried but poof it’s gone so I’ve cancelled my second bank card in 6 months.
I’d only just memorised the bl**dy numbers as well 🙄😆
I'm guessing it's a debit card for your checking and not a credit card? Does he own a wallet or does he put it in his pocket? Might be in his dirty clothes? Yikes.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's a debit card for your checking and not a credit card? Does he own a wallet or does he put it in his pocket? Might be in his dirty clothes? Yikes.
It’s not in his wallet, his pockets, his car or any other place he might have put it down.
Mr SSOAP who is very good at finding things helped him looked, nada.
So it’s cancelled. Heyho.

Back
Top Bottom