The General Chat Thread (2024)

My sister, now retired RN, uses an old-time manual Sphygmomanometer and stethoscope to check her own BP. She also says that with some patients, she has to do the same, even though the hospital wanted them to use the electric units that also measure pulse rate and pulse-oxygen at the same time. The electric units inflate so much, that they cause pain that causes some patient's BP to go before and during the test. A good nurse can use a manual Sphygmomanometer gently enough not to stress these patients out, causing a false high BP reading. Then, she can use the electric unit to test pulse-ox levels, and verify pulse rate.

CD
That’s what they do at my doc’s office - manual cuff for BP, fingertip thingy for oxygen level and heart rate.

Neither are old fuds stuck in their ways - doc is mid-30’s and her nurse is about 40. She also always takes my BP twice, giving me about five minutes between checks.

I used to not suffer from doc anxiety until I got older, and nowadays, it’s only certain docs. My BP when I was at the big fancy cancer center’s urology department was way up there, because I did not want to be there - even with my meds, it was 158/104 and my heart rate was 99.

That’s because my brother had been down the same route, and when he went there a few years before, they ended up running a probe up his noodle, so he told me, “Expect that, and you’re not going to enjoy it.”

That didn’t happen, and when the doc said he just wanted to schedule me for (another) MRI, and that his second opinion (I’d been referred to him by my local urologist) was things generally looked pretty good/minor, I think I heard and felt my heart rate instantly drop. :laugh:

But now I have another kind of medical anxiety - I just got a text saying, “A new estimate is available for your recent visit - check your online patient portal.”

Will it be $100…$1,000…or $10,000?

We had reasonable weather today. Sunny and 56F.

Tomorrow and Saturday will be cold again. Lows in the 20s and highs in the 30s. :cold:

Sunday night, the clouds roll in, and we get a couple inches of rain on Monday. It is supposed to rain though Wednesday. :rain: But, daytime temperatures will be in the 60s, with nighttime lows in the 40s.

Weather whiplash season is beginning.

CD

We woke to 8°C (46F) this morning which was a bit of a surprise... it made it to 28°C (82F) later in the afternoon. It's back down to 15°C (59F) now, so I'm guessing it's going to be another cool morning.

We're due 37°C on Sunday and Tuesday... it makes it hard to know what to wear.

Well, I went to bed early, and fell asleep right away. I was dreaming that I was in a classroom, trying to stay awake, but couldn't. :laugh:

Of course, it is eight hours later, and I'm awake at 4AM. Nice.

It's 32F/0C and pretty windy right now. The forecast high today is 40F/4C. I need to go to HEB to buy some good groceries, but I'm not looking forward to leaving the house. I seriously need a haircut, too.

CD

We’re actually getting some snow…and there just went the snowplow.

Not enough to really count, but I did manage to get about a third cleared before MrsT came out and scolded me for shoveling while having unresolved blood pressure issues.

IMG_7332.jpeg

I’ve had an incredibly busy, stressful day at work, culminating in my project epically failing and needing to be pushed back.

I need to go into the office tomorrow to do training (and I’m the trainer so I can’t just show up and pretend to listen). Joy.

So…I took my BP when I got up (before coffee) and again mid-morning, collected all my readings since Wednesday, passed them onto my doc via their patient portal (I love that thing!), and within 20 minutes, I had a text notification from my pharmacy for some new meds, and a response from my doc, telling me she’d prescribed a new med and, “Make sure you get it started today. Don’t wait.”

We’ll see how it goes tomorrow.

I’ve had an incredibly busy, stressful day at work, culminating in my project epically failing and needing to be pushed back.

I need to go into the office tomorrow to do training (and I’m the trainer so I can’t just show up and pretend to listen). Joy.
Oh dear, all for reasons outside your control though I hope?

Back
Top Bottom