The General Chat Thread (2024)

Nice turn up for the books. Mr SSOAP finished his fourth yoga session yesterday and hasn't quit yet!
Probably because I'm there to stop him doing the manly thing and try to win yoga 😂

His physio visits us once a week to try and undo his decades of front row rugby damage and usually it takes about 1hr 20 mins. Yesterday he said everything he usually works on "gave up" far more readily and he was finished in 50mins!

I'm very happy about that, with that sort of improvement after just four sessions it's possible with slow incremental steps there's a lot more to be gained.

Mr SSOAP doesn't look so happy about it though because he prefers to be an ace at sports and this yoga malarky isn't a proper sport, and if it was he wouldn't win at it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mr SSOAP doesn't look so happy about it though because he prefers to be an ace at sports and this yoga malarky isn't a proper sport, and if it was he wouldn't win at it :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Hahaha! Yoga, gym, pilates, jogging - how can you possibly compete at those?
I once got to play squash with my (ex) BIL. Once we'd warmed up I said "right, let's get on with the game"
"Nooo, I don't want to play a game! Too competitive!"
That was the last time.

Perhaps a pinch of 🎵 anything you can do I can do better 🎵:D
I once got to play squash with my (ex) BIL. Once we'd warmed up I said "right, let's get on with the game"
That was the last time.
I think he may have missed the point of squash? :laugh:

That was the last time.

I do not like exercise for the sake of exercise. If I ride a bike, I want to go somewhere. I loved skiing when I still could.

On the other side, I despise competitive sports where there is someone playing who is obsessed with winning. I play for fun. My friends and I would mess with each other while playing, and break rules right and left. You mix a competition freak into the game, and all the fun is sucked out of the game.

Golfers are the worst. I had to join into a foursome once because the course was crowded. The other three players were tools. They are all beating me by ten to fifteen strokes, and I land my ball on a cart path. I kick it off the cart path, and two of the tools tell me that I am cheating. I didn't follow the proper PGA procedures for moving the ball off of a cart path. Seriously? I didn't know them, we weren't playing for money, and I was losing, big time!

CD

Oh dear, all for reasons outside your control though I hope?
Mostly, yes. I suppose I could have been more on top of things earlier in the week, but I’ve been so swamped that just wasn’t possible. Long story short, the computer gods were not smiling on me with benevolence, and we’ve had to push things back due to tech issues.

In any case, the training I had to do today went incredibly well, so it makes me feel a bit better. I’m all peopled out for a while though- I just want to get home and not talk to anyone for a while!

I do not like exercise for the sake of exercise. If I ride a bike, I want to go somewhere. I loved skiing when I still could.

On the other side, I despise competitive sports where there is someone playing who is obsessed with winning. I play for fun. My friends and I would mess with each other while playing, and break rules right and left. You mix a competition freak into the game, and all the fun is sucked out of the game.

Golfers are the worst. I had to join into a foursome once because the course was crowded. The other three players were tools. They are all beating me by ten to fifteen strokes, and I land my ball on a cart path. I kick it off the cart path, and two of the tools tell me that I am cheating. I didn't follow the proper PGA procedures for moving the ball off of a cart path. Seriously? I didn't know them, we weren't playing for money, and I was losing, big time!

CD
I don't mind on the pitch competitiveness, competitive sports are well.. it's self explanatory.
I don't mix with people who take that stuff too seriously, they bore me to tears.
Mr SSOAP is a type of competitive I quite enjoy. He was and is serious about sport, went far and enjoyed himself but keeps his competitive nature where it belongs - playing with other competitive people.

The ones who I can't abide are the ones who can't keep it on the pitch (some don't even play sport) but still treat everything as a competition, whatever you do, wherever you've been, no matter what you've achieved they've done it bigger or better and if they haven't they'll find some disparaging remarks for you.

I have a couple of friends from childhood I can't quite bring myself to bog off completely and find myself telling them almost nothing about my life because of it!

On the other side, I despise competitive sports where there is someone playing who is obsessed with winning. I play for fun.
Oh I agree. If you're playing a competitive game, then obviously, the objective is to win - the thought of playing to lose just doesn't exist - but you want to enjoy the game as much as possible too. However if obsessive competitiveness is involved, then as you say, the pleasure is gone.
Any time you want to win a game of golf, play with me. My handicap is that I've only played 3 times. :laugh: :laugh:

I’m not competitive at all and the moment something turns competitive, I’m out. I’m even torn over the recipe challenges here! :laugh:

Here’s my little annoyance for the day:

I occasionally talk to someone (via text) who’s quite pushy, but I don’t think they realize it.

For example, they’ll send me a recipe they like, and I’ll say (and honestly at that) that it looks good and I’ll have to try that sometime.

Less than 24 hours later, I’ll get a text that asks, “Did you try that yet?!?!?! Didn’t you LOVE it!!!!!”

No, I have not tried the brisket recipe you sent me yesterday that takes a total of two days to make. 😒

After that, I’ll get constant reminders, sometimes two or three times a day, to make it, until I eventually tell them I’m not planning on making it any time soon, resulting in a little passive-aggressiveness after that…until the cycle starts over a couple of weeks later.

This time around, it’s Valentine’s Day. They asked if I was planning on anything special for Valentine’s Day, and I said that we always have fondue, so that’s what we’re doing.

Next day, I got a text suggesting another meal instead - “I think this would be better for Valentine’s Day.”

It’s crockpot ribs. 🤔

Not sure crockpot ribs (which I have nothing against) say “I love you, let’s get down on it later” as well as fondue - AAMOF, I’m sure they don’t, as a big ol’ pot of gooey, melty cheese and lots of wine is about as amorous as it gets, so yeah, um no, sticking with the original plan, thanks.

A little while later: “Fondue isn’t a meal, it’s just a snack/appetizer. I think you should make the ribs!!!!”

A pound of cheese…a half-loaf of bread…a half-pound of kielbasa…olives, pickles, and wine is a “snack?!?!” Maybe on your planet, not on mine!

So I said as much.

A hour or so later: “I still say the ribs are more romantic. Can you make the ribs and dip them in the fondue?!?!”

🤦🏻‍♂️

After more back-and-forth, explaining why fondue is the sexiest of dishes (I don’t count oysters (sorry, Morning Glory :wink: ) because I don’t eat those things), I finally got this:

“Ok I guess. I don’t really know anything about fondue, I’ve never had it anyway.”

😐

I occasionally talk to someone (via text) who’s quite pushy, but I don’t think they realize it.

For example, they’ll send me a recipe they like, and I’ll say (and honestly at that) that it looks good and I’ll have to try that sometime.

Less than 24 hours later, I’ll get a text that asks, “Did you try that yet?!?!?! Didn’t you LOVE it!!!!!”

No, I have not tried the brisket recipe you sent me yesterday that takes a total of two days to make. 😒

After that, I’ll get constant reminders, sometimes two or three times a day, to make it, until I eventually tell them I’m not planning on making it any time soon, resulting in a little passive-aggressiveness after that…until the cycle starts over a couple of weeks later.

This time around, it’s Valentine’s Day. They asked if I was planning on anything special for Valentine’s Day, and I said that we always have fondue, so that’s what we’re doing.

Next day, I got a text suggesting another meal instead - “I think this would be better for Valentine’s Day.”

It’s crockpot ribs. 🤔

Not sure crockpot ribs (which I have nothing against) say “I love you, let’s get down on it later” as well as fondue - AAMOF, I’m sure they don’t, as a big ol’ pot of gooey, melty cheese and lots of wine is about as amorous as it gets, so yeah, um no, sticking with the original plan, thanks.

A little while later: “Fondue isn’t a meal, it’s just a snack/appetizer. I think you should make the ribs!!!!”

A pound of cheese…a half-loaf of bread…a half-pound of kielbasa…olives, pickles, and wine is a “snack?!?!” Maybe on your planet, not on mine!

So I said as much.

A hour or so later: “I still say the ribs are more romantic. Can you make the ribs and dip them in the fondue?!?!”

🤦🏻‍♂️

After more back-and-forth, explaining why fondue is the sexiest of dishes (I don’t count oysters (sorry, Morning Glory :wink: ) because I don’t eat those things), I finally got this:

“Ok I guess. I don’t really know anything about fondue, I’ve never had it anyway.”

😐

Okay fine, I'll stop trying to help. You just had to go and tell the whole forum ,didn't you? :headshake:

CD

Okay fine, I'll stop trying to help. You just had to go and tell the whole forum ,didn't you? :headshake:

CD
Everyone knows that’s a lie, because you’d never make crockpot ribs! :wink:

Now, were you this person, it would be more like:

“OMG!!!!! You HAVE to go buy this smoker I just bought!!!!”

20 minutes later: “Did you order it yet?!?!?!?! It’s at Amazon RIGHT NOW for $400!!!!! And FREE SHIPPING!!!!”

It’s crockpot ribs. 🤔

So I said as much.

🤦🏻‍♂️

😐
Tell them to check out The Melting Pot. Fondue IS a whole meal. And be a bit passive-aggressive by somehow saying you obviously don't know everything in a "Tasty" kind of way. :D

Back
Top Bottom