The General Chat Thread (2024)

caseydog it seems that 80 series landcruisers are well known for putting up all sorts of totally random warning lights on the dashboard when the alternator fails. I did a whole load of tests ruling out blocked oil filters or air filters, engine oil levels, and so on, and ended up driving her down to the garage this morning with no less than 4 warning lights on the dash. I missed 1 previously because I expected the big red letters called BRAKE to be on, but it didn't go off when the handbrake was released.... so 3 warning lights were lying to me, and only the 4th was correct! :rolleyes:

Garage have confirmed my suspicion that the only genuine warning light was the battery discharging light...

Vehicle is off the road until Monday at least because tomorrow is Australia day and a holiday (plus my garage don't work Fridays anyway, it's a rural garage)... hopefully the new alternator will arrive on Monday if I'm lucky and she might be back on the road early next week. šŸ¤ž

My alternator cost 800 when it went
A commadore. Hope yours is cheaper?

Russ

No idea where this is being sold and I do hate my slow cooker but I want this thing
1706263252743.png

Last edited:
Get this for freaky.
When I was about 7 years old my Grandmother gave me a little brooch she had as a memento from a trip to the US. Not valuable but I oh so coveted this brooch. I never wore it and kept it my jewellery box and just took it out and stared at it imagining all the things my Dad had told me were good in America.

My friends were envious and it would often come out for us to admire.

Then it went missing.
It's quite obvious what must of happened and I was devastated. I thought about it often and hoped it would return but no such luck.

Recently I was looking for a brooch for a winter coat and although it's not even vaguely within the parameters of my search up pops the exact brooch being sold by someone about 30mins from where I live?!!

What the actual?!!

I recognise this is a popular brooch in America (well at least that's what an ebay search revealed) but it isn't and wasn't a thing here. I examined closely and realised this is my brooch! I'm certain because one of the top line of red gems is fractionally out of alignment (damage done before it was given to me), plus one of the only ones for sale in the UK coming from 30mins down the road?

I now have a lucky charm for the trip to America!

I can't quite believe it, it's made me nostalgic for my grandmother and so happy to see it again šŸ˜Š

IMG_1920.jpeg

No idea where this is being sold and I do hate my slow cooker but I want this thing
View attachment 109541
On its surface, that just too twee for meā€¦until I realized that someone has given poor Winnie a craniotomy, stuffed him with stew or whatever, and is using his skull as a cooking-serving vessel - ā€œWhoā€™s the hunny pot now, Winnie?! Youā€™re the hunny pot! Mwahahaha!ā€ šŸ˜ˆ

Get this for freaky.
When I was about 7 years old my Grandmother gave me a little brooch she had as a memento from a trip to the US. Not valuable but I oh so coveted this brooch. I never wore it and kept it my jewellery box and just took it out and stared at it imagining all the things my Dad had told me were good in America.

My friends were envious and it would often come out for us to admire.

Then it went missing.
It's quite obvious what must of happened and I was devastated. I thought about it often and hoped it would return but no such luck.

Recently I was looking for a brooch for a winter coat and although it's not even vaguely within the parameters of my search up pops the exact brooch being sold by someone about 30mins from where I live?!!

What the actual?!!

I recognise this is a popular brooch in America (well at least that's what an ebay search revealed) but it isn't and wasn't a thing here. I examined closely and realised this is my brooch! I'm certain because one of the top line of red gems is fractionally out of alignment (damage done before it was given to me), plus one of the only ones for sale in the UK coming from 30mins down the road?

I now have a lucky charm for the trip to America!

I can't quite believe it, it's made me nostalgic for my grandmother and so happy to see it again šŸ˜Š

View attachment 109542
Wonderful storyā€¦once you bought it and got it back, did you inquire as to how the seller ended up with it?

ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! šŸ˜”

Iā€™m on an online meeting, 20 people, and the whole effing meeting is just people interrupting and talking over each other. Itā€™s actually making me nauseous!

Mind you, itā€™s not contentious, itā€™s just something about being on a call, people feel like they have to jump in immediately, and just steamroll everyone else, and then everyone follows suit.

It only arrived this morning by super slow snail mail. It's from a 'vintage' shop (aka old tat shop) so I don't think there's much point šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Well, now you need to novelize the whole situation, make it out that your grandmother was a British spy during the war, but sort of double-agenting between the US & UK, because sheā€™d fallen in love with an ace American pilot, though their love could never be, and the brooch was a small token from him that also happened to contain secret plans to a joint US-UK invasion of the Soviet Union, as soon as Hitler was dealt with (thatā€™s what that whole off-kilter stone was about), and of course your gran knew karate and looked like Emma Peel in a catsuit and the American pilot was a real Lee Majors type, but she wasnā€™t really a double-agent, that was just a bluff to get her taken into custody and placed in super-secret lady-prison confinement where the real traitor to the whole operation was the evil warden, a sort of Joanna Lumley character (gotta get her in there), calm and cool on the outside, but with a devious and sadistic side, and thenā€¦oh well, you can finish the rest! :laugh:

Well, now you need to novelize the whole situation, make it out that your grandmother was a British spy during the war, but sort of double-agenting between the US & UK, because sheā€™d fallen in love with an ace American pilot, though their love could never be, and the brooch was a small token from him that also happened to contain secret plans to a joint US-UK invasion of the Soviet Union, as soon as Hitler was dealt with (thatā€™s what that whole off-kilter stone was about), and of course your gran knew karate and looked like Emma Peel in a catsuit and the American pilot was a real Lee Majors type, but she wasnā€™t really a double-agent, that was just a bluff to get her taken into custody and placed in super-secret lady-prison confinement where the real traitor to the whole operation was the evil warden, a sort of Joanna Lumley character (gotta get her in there), calm and cool on the outside, but with a devious and sadistic side, and thenā€¦oh well, you can finish the rest! :laugh:
Well my grandmother was good looking and pretty cool.
She was always dressed in a stylish fashion, right into her 80ā€™s.
One of the first women in England to cause a scandal by wearing trousers (oxford bags) she laughed a lot when she regaled me with the trouble it caused šŸ˜†
She was a bit wild and was engaged three times because a more exciting offer and a better party to go to always appeared.

One of them thinking they had bagged her for keeps went off to South Africa to clear land and set things up ready for her arrival and thatā€™s when my grandad turned up in a bright red sports car, which back then when no one had a car was like turning up in a flying machine šŸ˜‚

But he couldnā€™t contain her completely.
She wasnā€˜t interested in conforming or other peopleā€™s opinions and had a fiery side to her. Women back then werenā€™t supposed to work once they married, if they did it was a source of shame to the husband that they couldnā€™t ā€˜provideā€™ but she was having none of it. Sheā€™d get a job, heā€™d find out, get cross and go and speak to whoever was in charge, they would be understanding and sack her. That happened again and again until he eventually gave up šŸ˜†

She explained to me that when women got married they didnā€™t work, the husband earned the money and decided what it could be spent on, that the woman was generally given just enough ā€˜housekeepingā€™ to cover running the house.
She said she had things she wanted and things she wanted to do and asking permission as a grown woman wasnā€™t ok with her. She said she wasnā€™t prepared to try and wheedle and charm her husbands cheque book open like other women had to, she wanted her own money and her own freedoms.

She was far ahead of her time and I really wish she could have been born now (in the UK or other more enlightened country) because she would have had to spend less time fighting for her own autonomy and more time having a good time!

She said she had things she wanted and things she wanted to do and asking permission as a grown woman wasnā€™t ok with her.
Thatā€™s exactly how my paternal grandmother was. I want to be fair in my assessment, though: she was in no way a feministā€¦except where her own welfare was concerned. :laugh:

Her and my grandad were hardcore Kentucky hillbillies. Neither finished high school, and TBH, she was barely literate. They followed the Southern migration north for factory jobs (he landing in the steel mills around it SW Ohio), and it was exactly as you described with your grandparents - women didnā€™t work, and husbands gave them an allowance (side note - thatā€™s precisely how my parents operated, right up until they went into care, more or less).

Well, my grandmom had things she wanted that he didnā€™t feel was necessary, so she got a job - housekeeping at ā€œthe ā€˜versā€™tyā€™ā€ (the local university), and it paid fairly well for what it was, being that it was a state school, and she got her own retirement to boot, so thatā€™s what she did.

Instead of getting her fired, though, my grandadā€™s plan was to bankrupt her - when she refused to quit, he charged her rent and utilities and groceries! He split everything right down the middle! :laugh:

She called his bluff, though, and paid it, because she was making enough to do so, and still have money leftover for flowers, clothes, and all the knickknacks she liked.

She was also different from a lot of women of that time in that she absolutely did not cook. At all. She also didnā€™t like children at all, did the barest minimum to raise hers, and Iā€™m fairly certain that, had she been born into different circumstances, should would have been militantly childfree - the first time I came home on leave from the Air Force, sheā€™d asked if Iā€™d met any girlfriends, and Iā€™d answered that no, not really, and her response was, ā€œIf yer smart, honey, youā€™ll keep it that way - girls lead to chilā€™ren and theyā€™ll take everā€™ lasā€™ thing you haveā€¦time and money!ā€ :laugh:

Thatā€™s exactly how my paternal grandmother was. I want to be fair in my assessment, though: she was in no way a feministā€¦except where her own welfare was concerned. :laugh:

Her and my grandad were hardcore Kentucky hillbillies. Neither finished high school, and TBH, she was barely literate. They followed the Southern migration north for factory jobs (he landing in the steel mills around it SW Ohio), and it was exactly as you described with your grandparents - women didnā€™t work, and husbands gave them an allowance (side note - thatā€™s precisely how my parents operated, right up until they went into care, more or less).

Well, my grandmom had things she wanted that he didnā€™t feel was necessary, so she got a job - housekeeping at ā€œthe ā€˜versā€™tyā€™ā€ (the local university), and it paid fairly well for what it was, being that it was a state school, and she got her own retirement to boot, so thatā€™s what she did.

Instead of getting her fired, though, my grandadā€™s plan was to bankrupt her - when she refused to quit, he charged her rent and utilities and groceries! He split everything right down the middle! :laugh:

She called his bluff, though, and paid it, because she was making enough to do so, and still have money leftover for flowers, clothes, and all the knickknacks she liked.

She was also different from a lot of women of that time in that she absolutely did not cook. At all. She also didnā€™t like children at all, did the barest minimum to raise hers, and Iā€™m fairly certain that, had she been born into different circumstances, should would have been militantly childfree - the first time I came home on leave from the Air Force, sheā€™d asked if Iā€™d met any girlfriends, and Iā€™d answered that no, not really, and her response was, ā€œIf yer smart, honey, youā€™ll keep it that way - girls lead to chilā€™ren and theyā€™ll take everā€™ lasā€™ thing you haveā€¦time and money!ā€ :laugh:
I'm pretty sure my grandmother would have been child free born in a different era.
She did pretty well making an Irish born catholic use contraception because she didn't want "hundreds of children" and according to my mum she didn't want the ones she had either!
Odd because my own mother also wasn't cut out for motherhood and was extremely hands off, it didn't come naturally to her and she wasn't interested in trying but she was the one who insisted on having children, it was my dad that felt obliged! šŸ˜†

Back
Top Bottom