The General Chat Thread (2024)

Well that was a load of poop!
My tiny Thai terror massage turned into a half an hour counselling session while she increasingly fell apart because her and her husband are getting divorced and she’s frightened because her English is very rudimentary, he does the books for her massage business and has told her to sign over the building that’s hers and he’ll find her somewhere to carry on her massage business. Yer right..

All her friends are Thai and cannot help her with contracts or legal documents so her husband has suggested his friend (Mark) reads the paperwork and tells her if it’s ok 🙄
She knows these things aren’t right.

I resisted and resisted and resisted what were obvious attempts to enlist my help but honestly her level of distress and her being vulnerable in a foreign country where she cannot read the language made me relent.
I can’t in good conscience not help a vulnerable, kind person so full of fear and likely about to be properly stitched up.

I’m certain she has been lining me up for this for some time and normally for that reason alone I would refuse but her desperation is real.

So yer great! Tomorrow morning I’m taking her to the Citizens Advice Bureau and I suspect this is the start of a protracted saga 😐

So yer great! Tomorrow morning I’m taking her to the Citizens Advice Bureau and I suspect this is the start of a protracted saga 😐
Well, good on ya anyway, but yeah, you’re probably in for a time of it.

I have a little experience with this when I helped my non-US former SIL during her divorce, basically just with advice.

Well that was a load of poop!
My tiny Thai terror massage turned into a half an hour counselling session while she increasingly fell apart because her and her husband are getting divorced and she’s frightened because her English is very rudimentary, he does the books for her massage business and has told her to sign over the building that’s hers and he’ll find her somewhere to carry on her massage business. Yer right..

All her friends are Thai and cannot help her with contracts or legal documents so her husband has suggested his friend (Mark) reads the paperwork and tells her if it’s ok 🙄
She knows these things aren’t right.

I resisted and resisted and resisted what were obvious attempts to enlist my help but honestly her level of distress and her being vulnerable in a foreign country where she cannot read the language made me relent.
I can’t in good conscience not help a vulnerable, kind person so full of fear and likely about to be properly stitched up.

I’m certain she has been lining me up for this for some time and normally for that reason alone I would refuse but her desperation is real.

Well it sounds like a very worthwhile project. I'm sorry you didn't get the massage you needed though. Once you get her sorted out she'll be back to brutalizing your body properly I'm sure.

doesn’t work for the deaf.
Fair enough. I understand what you mean. Some learning types are not relying on audio as much.

For me and assembling, say , a cupboard, video instructions are best, of a person assembling it and many repetitions, there I can't read or understand the engineurial drawing/ explanation well enough.

Perhaps there are short videos on youtube with English subtitles, maybe that helps?
i don't know.😊
You know what works best for you...best of luck!

Which is good. I froze. A python is crawling around your estate somewhere?
Oh dear oh dear... would the neighbours not set out a vet to search for it?
Would it ever come back?

Flash memory, I don't recall if I shared this story already, sorry to repeat if I did...the previous owners of my now flat, had also had a python as a pet in the flat.

THe plumber some years ago remembered traumatised, when he fixed around the bathroom, that he saw a python...

Talk about stress at work...Goodness...
The closest vet is an hour away and not the person you'd call to look for a snake. In Australia, we have dedicated snake catchers... but given how rural we are and the fact that it is a pet snake, you'd just look for it yourself. They own about 400 acres of land, my landlord has 2,500 acres... they may be my next-door neighbour, but they are about a kilometres away. They have since found it.

We did once (in the UK) find an exotic snake sunbathing on someone's car roof. When we went over to investigate, to take a picture, it disappeared into the space between the outside of the roof and the lining that we see. It went in via the sunroof opening. We ended up leaving a message for them. The car was very new and our immediate thoughts were that they didn't know it had a potentially deadly snake in it. So we left a note on the car windscreen that said "we don't want to worry you, but are you aware that you have an exotic (non-UK) snake in your car?" and have then put telephone number. When we got home there was a message for us, so we called them back. It turned out that they had bought their son a snake for his birthday and rathet than wait until they got home, he opened the box on the car to look at it. It escaped and they'd not seen it since. That had been several weeks ago. Luckily it was the middle of summer, so it hadn't been cold. We were able to tell them where to look for it, and sure enough, they found it and it was eventually recovered!

when it’s French or Italian or Spanish. German doesn’t pose that much of a problem for me, because it’s so phonetic
I agree that French and Italian are a bit tricky, but Spanish is phonetic, just like German. The problem arises from the regional varieties. If you put a Galician, a Catalan, a Venezuelan, a Peruvian, an Argentinian and a Mexican together, you'd really wonder whether thay actually spoke the same language!

A python is crawling around your estate somewhere?

Would it ever come back?

No, they don't come back like a dog or cat would more than likely.

And I sincerely doubt the snake learned how to open its cage. I would far more suspect that someone in the household didn't close and latch the cage properly. Snakes just aren't that smart. Hiding and hunting are instinctual behaviors and sometimes that doesn't even kick in, as I had to teach some babies to eat when we were breeding Emerald Tree Boas.

We had very few escapes and that was because the cages didn't get closed properly. I know this because the cages simply could not be opened from the inside as they were made of plexiglass and climate controlled.

The only time we had an escape when the cage was closed properly was when we had a birth and didn't realize that the vent holes drilled into the cage were just big enough for newborns to wiggle through. We found a few hanging out on the wire shelving unit of their mother's cage, and we had to look everywhere for the rest. I found 1 baby hiding in my tennis shoe, that was the oddest place.

BTW, boas don't lay eggs. They incubate their young in egg sacs inside the mother, and then give birth to live young, expelling the egg sacs and babies. It's a messy business just like humans giving birth.

A picture of a birth after we fixed the maternity cage.
36788-albums310-picture8245.jpg

someone in the household didn't close and latch the cage properly
Indeed, that puzzled me, but as I know next to nothing about snakes, left it there.

Yes, snakes are definitely not the usual pet...

Your knowledge and experience is impressive.

Thank you for sharing and clarifying.

The closest vet is an hour away and not the person you'd call to look for a snake. In Australia, we have dedicated snake catchers... but given how rural we are and the fact that it is a pet snake, you'd just look for it yourself. They own about 400 acres of land, my landlord has 2,500 acres... they may be my next-door neighbour, but they are about a kilometres away. They have since found it.

We did once (in the UK) find an exotic snake sunbathing on someone's car roof. When we went over to investigate, to take a picture, it disappeared into the space between the outside of the roof and the lining that we see. It went in via the sunroof opening. We ended up leaving a message for them. The car was very new and our immediate thoughts were that they didn't know it had a potentially deadly snake in it. So we left a note on the car windscreen that said "we don't want to worry you, but are you aware that you have an exotic (non-UK) snake in your car?" and have then put telephone number. When we got home there was a message for us, so we called them back. It turned out that they had bought their son a snake for his birthday and rathet than wait until they got home, he opened the box on the car to look at it. It escaped and they'd not seen it since. That had been several weeks ago. Luckily it was the middle of summer, so it hadn't been cold. We were able to tell them where to look for it, and sure enough, they found it and it was eventually recovered!
An excellent anecdote!

Back
Top Bottom