Travel Plans For 2024

Well, the first part of the day is over - going to the Shipshewana Flea Market.

Outdoor Flea Market | Shipshewana Auction & Flea Market

I could have done without, but that said, we did buy some outdoor Christmas decorations, I got a sampler set of locally-popular seasonings, some apples, and MrsT found some particular kind of sandals she likes - she had a pair for decades and she’d just worn them out, and lo and behold, there was a woman selling them here.

Also got some kraut, apple butter, and plum butter. I think that’s it.

This is what it looks like just outside our room:

IMG_9093.jpeg

They’ve got stuff going on in that far red barn as well.

Well, the first part of the day is over - going to the Shipshewana Flea Market.

Outdoor Flea Market | Shipshewana Auction & Flea Market

I could have done without, but that said, we did buy some outdoor Christmas decorations, I got a sampler set of locally-popular seasonings, some apples, and MrsT found some particular kind of sandals she likes - she had a pair for decades and she’d just worn them out, and lo and behold, there was a woman selling them here.

Also got some kraut, apple butter, and plum butter. I think that’s it.
Nothing brings more joy than a comfortable pair of shoes/sandals. If I find a pair that I like and realize how great they are within a few days of wearing them, I go back and buy a few more pair (unless they were on clearance and aren't available or were too costly).

Meaning, it’s all part of the same complex, and there are activities going on over there, but I don’t know what they are.

All we know is that they probably don't involve alcohol...

To me this whole hotel seems quite 'spartan' and slightly eerie because its all so uncluttered both inside and out. It's all too neat... what was that film...?

To me this whole hotel seems quite 'spartan' and slightly eerie because its all so uncluttered both inside and out. It's all too neat... what was that film...?
I am afraid without happy hour it sounds a bit boring. And also sort of like grade school in that there is 0 tolerance for alcohol and you get booted off the premises? Geeze! I get that maybe they don't want to have a bunch of drunks on the property, but if someone feels like keeping a bottle of wine in their room and having a glass or two, I don't see the harm in that.

I am afraid without happy hour it sounds a bit boring. And also sort of like grade school in that there is 0 tolerance for alcohol and you get booted off the premises? Geeze! I get that maybe they don't want to have a bunch of drunks on the property, but if someone feels like keeping a bottle of wine in their room and having a glass or two, I don't see the harm in that.
When we were looking a 55+ communities in Pennsylvania a couple of years ago, we found a nice one, and keep in mind, this would be in a home you own, being that the community was Mennonite-owned, one of their residency rules was no booze, no smoking, anywhere in the complex, including in or out of your house.

We said nope! 🥂:laugh:

Ok, I went on a little tour of the property, and I’ve got some answers:

There are three freestanding barns, along with the rambling main complex. This is a pic of the backside:

IMG_9115.jpeg

That red barn just in the frame, to the left - that’s an exposition facility they use for large events.

That tallest part of the white building, that’s the lobby/registration, and it extends to the left - about 2/3rds of that is obscured by the red barn.

Moving on to the red barn-like bit in the middle - that’s the breakfast area, pool (hot tub, main pool, soaking pool), and gym.

The next little white bit is where our room is.

The last part, that other red barn, is a conference center.

Out of shot is a red barn containing grounds equipment, and a large, empty red barn that can be rented for weddings and things.

Guess who’s playing next door to the hotel? Tommy “Crimson and Clover” James himself!

Back
Top Bottom