What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son made an appetizer of Vermont sharp white cheddar on baguette slices, and my wife made steamed snow crab, ghee, and nuked spuds. I just nibbled at a bit.

I have to go pick up chemicals for the lawn, so my dinner is TBD.

my wife made steamed snow crab, ghee, and nuked spuds
The word 'ghee' intrigues me. That is an Indian thing.... I use it a lot. But I'm surprised to see you mention it as I didn't think it was something particularly used in the US. Please say a bit more about how the snow crab recipe was cooked.:)

Ghee is just easier to type than clarified butter.

The crab legs come in frozen clusters. 3 or 4 legs attached together with a piece of the body. You simply steam them in a large pot until cooked through, then serve with ghee, lemon wedges, and a shell cracker and seafood picker.

I had fried homemade gnocchi and purple sprouting broccoli with tomatoes and homemade ricotta for dinner tonight. I don't know if the gnocchi turned out exactly how it should, but it was delicious and rather filling. I followed it with a few chocolates :laugh:View attachment 6454
Looks good! Are you unsure about the gnocchi because you've not had it before? Yes it is somewhat heavy and filling. I have a recipe (not yet tried) using baked potato which I like the idea of, rather than watery, boiled potato.

A lovely way of cooking fresh gnocchi (OK yes I buy it) is by baking off some good quality chopped sausages in an oven tin until the halfway stage, along with some chopped courgettes and halved tomatoes. Then adding the fresh gnocchi - stirring it into the juices and cooking it about 15 mins more. It's really a lovely, lighter way with gnocci - crisp and more flavourful (from absorbing the juices).

Sorry I don't have precise times and apologies if I have described this before on this forum.

Looks good! Are you unsure about the gnocchi because you've not had it before? Yes it is somewhat heavy and filling. I have a recipe (not yet tried) using baked potato which I like the idea of, rather than watery, boiled potato.

Gnocchi can be made from semolina as well as potatoes... for The CookingBites Recipe Challenge (she says, hopefully). See here also: What can you do with semolina? I think @MypinchofItaly may be worth watching when it comes to gnocchi...

A lovely way of cooking fresh gnocchi (OK yes I buy it) is by baking off some good quality chopped sausages in an oven tin until the halfway stage, along with some chopped courgettes and halved tomatoes. Then adding the fresh gnocchi - stirring it into the juices and cooking it about 15 mins more. It's really a lovely, lighter way with gnocci - crisp and more flavourful (from absorbing the juices).

Sorry I don't have precise times and apologies if I have described this before on this forum.

I used ordinary supermarket white potatoes, boiled them in their skins and then dried them off before peeling them. I then put the potatoes back in the still warm pan, chopped them and mashed them as finely as I could. They definitely were not watery. The recipe actually said to use a potato ricer, but I don't possess one. That would have been easier. The tomatoes were supposed to have been baked with balsamic vinegar (the original recipe was for 4 people) but as I only needed enough for me I fried them and poured the vinegar in the pan when they were nearly done. You have definitely reassured me about the gnocchi. Good because I made quite a bit and I've put the rest in the freezer. I've got courgettes and tomatoes, and I can order some decent sausages for Tuesday :wink:

Dried orange mango.

dried mango s.jpg

Some of the raw materials for one of today's projects: Swedish Mushroom and Cheese Tart (Svamptarte). I managed to find the famous Swedish cheese
Vasterbottensost
(I haven't yet tasted it).

IMGP1850.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom