What did you cook or eat today (August 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunch treat, crispy duck.

Not gonna win any photography skills prizes for this one but takeaway Yakitori (Tori-Q chain here in Singapore):

B79B3BDE-569F-4C42-A6FE-9FCCA416DB3F.jpeg

For 5 bucks you get two chicken, one pork and one chicken ball skewers with rice (heavily covered with seaweed as seen).
and some Japanese pickles. My family loves this and it’s an easy option when out and about.

Well I never even heard of the term Peranakan so I learned something today - including there is a whole Peranakan cuisine!

Yes there is - Peranakan cuisine is rich and varied due to its influences. If you ever come to this part of the world, prepare to have your taste sensibilities expanded. :)

(P.S. Helps if you like things spicy, but not always).

Goreng Pisang is widely available here and one of my aunts cooks it on occasion. Actually I am a Peranakan and have some Indonesian heritage, so a lot of the foods you post are familiar to me. :)
Ah ok, I don't need to tell you what's good then :laugh: I am familiar with Indo-Chinese cuisine too, it's quite popular here. Babi pangang is very popular here, and lots of other Chinese-Indonesian dishes.

I know the way I fry bananas is not pisang goreng by the way, they're my lazy bananas. Pisang Goreng is made with a batter, and my absolute favorite Indonesian sweet. But I am not good with making batters.. so I buy them when I get a chance.

Yes there is - Peranakan cuisine is rich and varied due to its influences. If you ever come to this part of the world, prepare to have your taste sensibilities expanded. :)

(P.S. Helps if you like things spicy, but not always).

I never will come there now - but I can always cook the dishes myself. And of course I like things spicy!

Just back from The Bakers Arms after my birthday meal.

The Bakers Arms, Blaby | Fine Dining, Delicious Drinks, Beautiful Setting

Chicken liver parfait followed by a Supreme of chicken with a chorizo and parmasan risotto, very filling - no room for pud.

This was the place I took Lu for our first date back in July 1990. The thatch on the pub roof is still thick and protective, unlike the thatch on my head. They do seem to have made the doors narrow in the intervening years though :shy:

Edit: I've just worked out that the pub was already 130 years old when the Mayflower set sail.

Last edited:
More time in Athens means more great food! One thing that’s clear, though, is that “Greek food” isn’t a specific set of preparations. I have seen many different ways to serve a Greek salad, many different preparations for spinach pie, and so on. This is truly remarkable to me. Even in Detroit’s Greektown, the variations are small. I will start a new thread shortly to compare these amazing variations. But, first, tonight’s dinner:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom