What did you cook or eat today (August 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks very much like an "empanada press"
View attachment 103216

Packaging a bit knocked around but press is perfect.
Ok I'm going to have to look that up.

I could see into the future 20 years ago, lol. I'll get curry puffs sorted first. Price still on it $2.50 so can't be hong Kong . Maybe singers??
Do you have a recipe for empanadas?? I've heard of them but not tasted.

Cheers
Russ

Do you have a recipe for empanadas??
Not really - they're just pastry rounds filled with a) minced meat b)cheese c)cheese and black beans d) spiced up sausage, etc, etc., folded in half, sealed and deep fried. Here we can buy the pastry rounds ready made from the supermarket. Saves a whole load of fuss!
I've made my own, but the pastry is a mixture of cornmeal and ordinary flour.

Packaging a bit knocked around but press is perfect.
Ok I'm going to have to look that up.

I could see into the future 20 years ago, lol. I'll get curry puffs sorted first. Price still on it $2.50 so can't be hong Kong . Maybe singers??
Do you have a recipe for empanadas?? I've heard of them but not tasted.

Cheers
Russ

Empanadas are very good. I've never made them, but love to eat them... well, depends on what they are filled with.

CD

17 Empanada Recipes (+ Best Filling Ideas)
Those are Argentinian/Chilean style empanadas, made with wheat flour. They're baked in an oven. In Ecuador, they use wheat flour, but fry them.
Venezuelan, Panamenian & Colombian (and I believe, Mexican) empanadas are made slightly differently, using cornmeal , a pinch of sugar, and a small amount of wheat flour. They're fried.
Classic fillings in Venezuela are:
Minced beef. Pulled beef (carne mechada). Chicken. Cheese. Cheese and Black beans. Baby shark (cazon) - which is actually dogfish.
We went to this place in May. They boast 30 different fillings, incuding shrimp, mussels, clams, blood sausage, chorizo, shrimp chorizo & plantain, yellow cheese and bacon, etc. Wonderful!
RMS Empanadas Carupanadas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterdays clandestine fish and chips, tasted great but slightly spoiled by being facetimed by my sons FOUR times whilst eating to ask things like -
“how do you make sugar soap?”
“By reading the instructions on the box” 🙄😆

IMG_0812.jpeg

It was delicious. The sausage was a strange mostly rusk, soft paste type of concoction that didn’t float my boat but the batter was out of this world so I ate it anyway. I will being working my way through their whole gluten free menu which is comprehensive including scampi, burgers, nachos, pulled pork buns and more. All eaten of a tray watching tripe on the TV. As a coeliac it felt like my birthday and Christmases all at once!

Have you tried making your own? They are a revelation. Rachel Phipps recipe is particularly lovely.

View attachment 103225
Maybe he was referring to having them for breakfast and eats them at other times. I'm not a fan of baked beans unless I'm the one who makes them, but I'd be unlikely to eat them at breakfast.

rascal thinks Americans are odd for eating potatoes at breakfast

As there is no thread for "what did your friends cook or eat today" it will have to go here. Courtesy of the chefs at The Sarojin, Thailand

received_809566387299830.jpeg

Oh, and we had shrooms on toast for lunch and cauliflower cheese for tea. Yes I know, cauli-cheese in August, but we are still waiting for summer to turn up.

Last edited:
As there is no thread for "what did your friends cook or eat today" it will have to go here. Courtesy of the chefs at The Sarojin, Thailand

View attachment 103236

Oh, and we had shrooms on toast for lunch and cauliflower cheeee for tea. Yes I know, cauli-cheese in August, but we are still waiting for summer to turn up.
I was pretty sure I saw Lu posting elsewhere a few times earlier this summer that it was very hot there? Guess it's not consistent, about like NE Ohio weather, LOL.

It was unseasonably warm in May, then it skipped straight to autumn.

It looks like you started typing before the forum software was ready, too.

Here, we had a mild may, with a lot of rain. By July, the weather gods turned up the heat, and turned off the water.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom