What did you cook or eat today (August 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scuse my ignorance, but what is a "Patty Melt"?

It is a type of cheese burger, with two slices of Texas toast instead of a bun.

1691377865014.png

CD

Tried a brisket tonight- haven’t had much success in the past, but my friend (who happens to be Jewish), told me to try cooking in in coke. Yep, coca-cola.

I really liked it - husband was less thrilled but I think he was a bit jealous that it came out good even with me not taking his unsolicited advice about how to cook the thing. He woke me up this morning “don’t you need to start on the brisket?!?” - no, the coke tenderizes it so you don’t need to cook it for 80 billion years.

Anyway, we served it with some mashed potatoes and fresh local corn.
CFAAE6D9-E3D1-4CC2-BAF1-CB21E9745FB9.jpeg
9C529C99-6BFC-4885-9788-D438E0AB6D8B.jpeg

It is a type of cheese burger, with two slices of Texas toast instead of a bun.

View attachment 103257

CD
I put something like that on special every so often. I call it the "Old Fashioned Cheese Burger"...it's a good seller but I hate making burgers and told my wife that I wouldn't get into them with our new shop..lol...I get the hairy eyeball whenever I suggest making burgers..

This morning I made French toast. I had never made it before. I used a recipe using Baileys Irish Cream. Will make it again with a few modifications. Tonight, I have manicotti in the oven. Got a ton of post to look at after dinner.

That French toast sounds super rich and indulgent. I had to look up manicotti and then realised it wasn't for the first time. In Europe/Italy its known as cannelloni.

That French toast sounds super rich and indulgent. I had to look up manicotti and then realised it wasn't for the first time. In Europe/Italy its known as cannelloni.

Well, sort of. Traditional manicotti is actually made with crepes, not pasta like cannelloni is. But, in American restaurants, manicotti are sometimes crepes, and sometimes pasta. I've had both. I actually prefer it with crepes. Cannelloni in the US is always pasta, from my experience.

CD

Carrabba's (Italian restaurant chain In the US that's a step above Olive Garden) used to have canneloni on their menu. They discontinued it but still have manicotti I think. In my experience, canneloni can have meat in it as well but manicotti is usually only filled with cheese (and sometimes herbs).

Last edited:
Did you make it up?
No, not at all. It would never occur to me to eat dried baked ramen. I had to validate that by finding two other recipes, just to see if the first one I found was some kind of bad joke. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom