What did you cook or eat today (August 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of Whimsy Wednesday prep because Whimsy Wednesday hasn’t been Whimsy for so long now I can’t remember the last time anything other than work or slog happened 😂

With todays skive day I made lunch for everyone (slow cooked pulled pork) and batch cooked Eight 1llb lasagnes (16 decent portions) because Lasagne never fails to feel like a treat and knowing it’s in the freezer makes me happy beyond all reason 😊

View attachment 117016

Then late the boys were hungry again so I showed them how to use the wrap sealer and made up some chilli, jalepeno and cheese air fried wraps. No pic of that because after 9 hours in the kitchen I couldn’t believe I was voluntarily back in it late in the evening making toasty wraps for everyone else! 😆
That's something I would like to start doing, is making a bunch of smaller portion lasagnas. So you can have them whenever. I have a new project for this weekend now!

Seared ahi tuna steaks encrusted with toasted sesame seeds on a bed of greens with a splash of rice wine and a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar.
20240805_200043.jpg
20240805_200124.jpg

I made homemade buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy using fresh sage from my garden and hubby's Hungarian sausage he made with his cousins. Here's hubby's brunch, topped with two fried medium eggs and a bit of fried sage leaves for garnish:
View attachment 117010View attachment 117011I had half that amount. It was super good!

Oh my goodness. That looks and sounds amazing!

This was an experiment, but I truly liked it.

Chicken livers and hearts, pasta, with Saffron almond milk sauce.

The taste blend of the livers and the sauce is epic.

Next time, I would omit the pasta, serve the livers on a bed of lamb's lettuce or spinach/chard, and drizzle generously with the sauce.

Squeezing fresh lemon juice over the livers and the sauce was absolutely wonderful.

This sauce or the livers/sauce might be my 2nd entry for the challenge.

20240806_141000.jpg
20240806_141016.jpg

This was an experiment, but I truly liked it.

Chicken livers and hearts, pasta, with Saffron almond milk sauce.

The taste blend of the livers and the sauce is epic.

Next time, I would omit the pasta, serve the livers on a bed of lamb's lettuce or spinach/chard, and drizzle generously with the sauce.

Squeezing fresh lemon juice over the livers and the sauce was absolutely wonderful.

This sauce or the livers/sauce might be my 2nd entry for the challenge.

View attachment 117037View attachment 117038
I adore chicken livers and lambs lettuce is my absolute favourite thing to have it with!

Oh Goodness, I think it might become my favourite combination too!
Love lamb's lettuce, would toss it anywhere.
So happy I discovered this new(for me) way of preparing liver, omitting tomato sauce...
Interested to read what you did, I tend to just fry mine in butter and add a little sherry vinegar and maple syrup at the end.

lambs lettuce is my absolute favourite thing to have it with
Haha, that's amusing; I bought some in Waitrose a couple of years back, just to see, and my wife became addicted to it :laugh: :laugh: I brought back two packets of seeds to Caracas so I can grow some! It's really good and kicks up a green salad by about 2 notches.

Haha, that's amusing; I bought some in Waitrose a couple of years back, just to see, and my wife became addicted to it :laugh: :laugh: I brought back two packets of seeds to Caracas so I can grow some! It's really good and kicks up a green salad by about 2 notches.
It must have some perfect chemical balance because it’s just a salad leaf but better.

Can you see that I used Saffron in these white choc pralines?
Coconut butter, Saffron , cinnamon for the mould bottom, white choc.

Made in a jiffy. Taste quite wonderful, although the Saffron is not very noticable, but you can definitely feel it.

I used 3 strands only.

THey've got a lovely crunch, I don't exactly know what of, possibly this plain choc is not meant to be melted?

Pretty stabile on the plate, as I type this.

So surprised it worked, should I enter It as a challenge entry?

20240806_152557.jpg
20240806_180105.jpg
20240806_180110.jpg

Last night I made creamy saffron and champagne shrimp and grits for dinner (it's a challenge entry). I used 1/2 a cup of champagne in it with about 1/4 cup of cream, and the caramelized bits in the middle are diced shallot, chopped garlic, and red/yellow bell peppers. You can't see the saffron threads in the photo below but I have some closeup of the grits when I first added them. It was really, really yummy!

1722961831495.jpeg

So last night when I made the creamy saffron and champagne shrimp and grits I had made an additional sauce of champagne, saffron, and heavy cream. My original intent was to spoon it over the shrimp at the end, but the grits were so creamy and flavorful (I had put the champagne and saffron in them) that the dish really didn't need it. It was already rich enough and the additional sauce would have put it over the top.

This morning I mixed some of the sauce with the leftover sausage gravy from yesterday's breakfast and toasted a few leftover biscuits, then ladled the saffron champagne cream sauce over the top of our fried runny eggs. Very tasty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom