What did you cook or eat today (August 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a surprise, to be of us. I tried a new recipe involving roasted saffron cauliflower & onions with a delightful date vinegariette dressing.

It's definitely a winner. The first mouthful of cauliflower was amazing!

20240804_180532.jpg

20240804_143453.jpg
20240804_180055.jpg

Last edited:
It started as a soup idea, however all was prepared for a mash.

Baked Hokkaido squash, baked garlic, boiled potato, vegan cream, saffron infused roasted sesame oil mash.

My first Saffron entry, my first cooking with Saffron.

I smelled the infused oil several times, to be able to recognize the Saffron scent.

Delicious! Nothing was overwhelming, not the salt, not the turmeric, a very mild but layered taste paysage, feels like I have travelled to a different far away place for lunch...

Comparing the sesame oil before and after, Saffron infusion seems to me did give a stronger yellowy orangy colour.

20240804_123627.jpg
20240804_124025.jpg
20240804_130218.jpg

Oh and some people put raisins in their slaw. Eww.
Yes, that's me. Adds a lovely sweet contrast to the peppery cabbage. Golden raisins are better than the darker ones.
Occasionally I make an "oriental" slaw with basically the same ingredients (cabbage, Napa cabbage if I can find it, grated carrot, maybe a tiny bit of onion) and then some grated ginger, soy, touch of hot sauce, sugar, maybe even fish sauce and sesame oil.

Yes, that's me. Adds a lovely sweet contrast to the peppery cabbage. Golden raisins are better than the darker ones.
Occasionally I make an "oriental" slaw with basically the same ingredients (cabbage, Napa cabbage if I can find it, grated carrot, maybe a tiny bit of onion) and then some grated ginger, soy, touch of hot sauce, sugar, maybe even fish sauce and sesame oil.
That all sounds good except for the raisins! But I just don't like raisins of any kind so it wouldn't matter what you put them in.

Finished all the gardening yesterday and then realised I hadn't eaten any breakfast - only 3 buckets of tea :hyper: On a normal Saturday, under such circumstances, I'd probably just hop in the car and get some sushi, or a takeaway Chinese or something, but things are still a bit tense from the elections, so I cooked.
From my latest acquisition, a huge tome called "India Cookbook". Here we have Avasada Vadas from Tamil Nadu - a deep-fried croquette made with rice flour,chickpea flour and coconut. Next time I think I'll toast the coconut first before mixing:
Avasada Vada.jpg

Then I discovered a bit of paneer in the fridge (Indian cheese) so I made a Punjabi Karhai Paneer, cooked with a little tomato sauce, bell peppers and spices:
Punjabi Paneer with red peppers.jpg

Then just for a change of colour and texture (and because I had some cabbage in the fridge) I made Kosu Podi - simply cooked cabbage with chiles and onions:
Kosu Podi cabbage.jpg

( The pizza dough is still hidden at the back of the freezer...:hyper::hyper::hyper:)

The packaging on the English cucumbers is to increase shelf life.
Here, the reason given is because the skin is very, very thin on them, unlike the “regular” ones, so they bruise easily (which in turn increases shelf life, I suppose).

I know that plastic does annoy me, because it’s thick, industrial strength stuff and a pain to get through.

Hot fresh bagels right from the oven.
View attachment 116888
omg, those cheese bagels are insane! I just used a medium cheddar and after it being baked and then toasted, the depth of that cheese flavor is ridiculous, I can only imagine how good other cheeses would be as well. And then there's the super deep toasted sesame seeds that just overwhelm your tongue with a warm, nutty toasted flavor. Dude.....so, so good.

For lunch I made a vegan bbq bowl with bbq tempeh, fresh corn, lettuce, some quick pickled red cabbage, and vegan ranch dressing. I meant to add some black beans for extra protein but I forgot. I would have added some tomatoes but the ones in my garden are just not quite ripe yet. Still yummy!
IMG_9755.jpeg

Prosciutto, roasted 'sweetbite' peppers, slaw with red cabbage, carrot, mayo, roasted sesame oil, lemon juice. No extra salt as the cabbage was salted in preparation.
I might have wanted chickpeas in the slaw, or at least potatoes, but its a no starch or low carb meal. Have I had some more of the vegan cream cheese, I might have tossed that in, to mellow it out...

Lovely Easter serviettes leftover, using up in August....😊

Still...
Very good supper!

20240804_203439.jpg
20240804_203447.jpg

Very aromatic and tasty plums, my boyfriend gifted me, from his garden. Around 2kg, I'd assume. Some eaten fresh.

I've washed, de-stoned and cooked 3/4 into a lovely jam. I've added nothing. No sugar, nothing. Gorgeous colour. I need to fetch jars tomorrow.

Usually I re-use jars, but at the moment all of them are pretty full. Will keep in the fridge for short-term use.

The rest of plums will go onto a cake tomorrow.

20240804_192938.jpg
20240804_195301.jpg
20240804_203101.jpg

20240804_203119.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom