What did you cook or eat today (August 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot fresh bagels right from the oven.
20240803_101029.jpg

Our common supermarket cukes are English, Field, and Mini. Field being shorter and fatter with large seeds and more moisture in the centre. I have some out back that are ready in a couple of days. I’ll cut into one and show you.
We’re starting to see four: English, regular (for lack of a better word), mini/Persian, and now these super-small baby cukes, about the size of my…pinky finger. Yeah, that’s it…my pinky finger…

Does the bagel setting on a toaster actually do something? I heard that it puts you on a government list... 🤔
It’s supposed to toast just one side of the bagel, so on ours, you’d put the cut side facing out, press that button, and that’s the only side of the slot that heats up.

It does actually sort of work on ours, but I never use it. MrsT does.

We’re starting to see four: English, regular (for lack of a better word), mini/Persian, and now these super-small baby cukes, about the size of my…pinky finger. Yeah, that’s it…my pinky finger…
The pickling ones are available now, too. So there’s another one.

slaw last night
Cool! As you mention slaw, I have tried preparing half of my raw red cabbage by salting and letting drain for 4 hours.
Recipe claimed that is great for a slaw.

Was a tad tired today, but this evening or tomorrow, I'll put the slaw together. Am curious.

Hope the fridge hasn't ruined the cabbage.

Last edited:
Cool! As you mention slaw, I have tried preparing half of my raw red cabbage by salting and letting drain for 4 hours.
Recipe claimed it to be great for a slaw.
Red cabbage is delicious in slaw, so much better than green in my opinion! I personally don't like the mayonnaise based slaws but prefer more of a vinaigrette style slaw. I am sure it will turn out fine.
Hope the fridge hasn't ruined the cabbage.
I wouldn't think so...

Red cabbage is delicious in slaw, so much better than green in my opinion! I personally don't like the mayonnaise based slaws but prefer more of a vinaigrette style slaw. I am sure it will turn out fine.

I wouldn't think so...
Oh much appreciated!
Vinaigrette is also a great option!
I might try both.
I do love mayo, for now, but also have some lemons to use, could use them in a vinaigrette.

Oh much appreciated!
I might try both.
I do love mayo, for now, but also have some lemons to use, could use them in a vinaigrette.
I had a lemon-poppyseed vinaigrette slaw that was divine...

I am odd in that I love mayonnaise on sandwiches, in tartar sauce, in deviled eggs (as long as there is plenty of mustard), etc. but not in slaw. Almost everyone I know likes mayonnaise-based slaws. Well maybe everyone I know, LOL.

Last edited:
Oh much appreciated!
I might try both.
I do a sweet and sharp with my coleslaw because I love the sharp bite of the vinegar in the slaw. It makes your saliva flow.

I had a lemon-poppyseed vinaigrette slaw that was divine...

I am odd in that I love mayonnaise on sandwiches, in tartar sauce, in deviled eggs (as long as there is plenty of mustard), etc. but not in slaw. Almost everyone I know likes mayonnaise-based slaws. Well maybe everyone I know, LOL.
I don't like mayonaisse full stop. So not in slaw either :wink:

I do a sweet and sharp with my coleslaw because I love the sharp bite of the vinegar in the slaw. It makes your saliva flow.
Definite the vinegar sharp, zero sweet for me, thank you. I don't mind if there's a little honey to balance out lemon if it's added, but not enough to be able to detect sweetness.
I don't like mayonaisse full stop. So not in slaw either :wink:
You and Morning Glory both.

Here in the US we have this concoction called Miracle Whip that looks like mayonnaise but isn't. It's sweet and I find it disgusting. Some people like it and it gets used in slaw sometimes, which might be why I don't like creamy slaws, because I am afraid someone used Miracle Whip. At my advanced age it's ingrained and I would just rather have the tangy, clear vinaigrette.

From Nutritionix

1722707535389.png

Oh and some people put raisins in their slaw. Eww.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom