What did you cook or eat today (August 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ren faire meal today was garlic bread & gado Gado
20240802_115938.jpg

20240802_175613.jpg

Bought one of these ‘Crimpet’ wrap sealers to try out and used up some left over chilli.
Air fried for 10 mins. Very nice. Made something worthwhile out of a small amount of leftovers.
IMG_2378.jpeg

A photo of the gadget not my dinner.

IMG_3871.jpeg

My dinner in progress, just the cheese left to add before crimping and bunging in the oven. No pics of it finished, I ate it too quickly 😆
Liked it quite a bit, a nice cheese toasty thing really.
Can see it being useful for making sandwiches that don’t fall apart in transit and using up left overs
The ‘pasties’ ‘calzones’ and breakfast ‘burritos’ people are making look interesting too.

Will it be a useful tool or soon be gracing the shelves of a charity shop? 😂

I made mushrooms for tomorrow's bride and groom parents' dinner in advance. Stuffed with king crab, butter, garlic, herbs, chopped spinach, minced bell pepper, and topped with parmesan cheese and Panko. I'll cook them in pinot grigio and butter tomorrow. One thing out of the way. I think I'll make my sage brown butter for the seared sea scallops tonight. Lobster tails and Prosciutto wrapped asparagus I'll prep and cook tomorrow.
20240802_162722.jpg
20240802_162704.jpg

Last edited:
Been a long time since I’ve been in one of these:
View attachment 116861

They’ve been advertising their “Big New Yorker” like crazy around here, and MrsT wanted to try it:
View attachment 116862

Not all that big…certainly not as big as the ones the tee-vee shows.
Yeah, really not big at all. The slices should be nearly twice that size.

What's really funny, is when I was in NY (Manhattan, my only visit to NYC ever) I thought the pizza was good but not great, but it still had humongous slices, because NY style pizza is often sold by the slice (the actual pie must be well over 20" instead of the measly 14" pizzas often sold by those US chains).

When I was in Chicago, my DH and I were walking down Broadway and found a pizzeria in the theater district that advertised NY style pizza (for those not familiar, Chicago is famous for it's deep dish pizza and NY style pizza is a thin, foldable pizza slice that leaves plenty of grease on your face and is so craveworthy--neither of us like deep dish Chicago pizza much). We stopped for a slice each with a cold beer and it was better than the NYC slice (I am sure that there are others that are better--probably in the Bronx or other boroughs because I am guessing Manhattan's water is cleaner and they say the key to the dough is the NY water...which is probably disgustingly contaminated). At any rate, a close second was a NY style pizzeria just north of Key West, of all places. We were skeptical but it was awesome. I was there with DH and one of his older cousins and his wife (full-blood Italian both, their grandparents were "off the boat" Italians) and we all agreed it was fantastic!

msmofet I use this:
IMG_4346.JPG

I CHEAT!
There are oodles of recipes to make the marinade and coating from scratch, but to be honest, I like taking the easy way out sometimes.
I do use my small batch deep fryer to make Kara'age. I tried it in the Air Fryer and it's just not as crunchy.
I must say that using this coating mix and deep frying the chicken pieces, the chicken does stay crispy even after a night in the `fridge, ask my husband, he'll tell you. He eats it cold the next day with the leftover Cucumber Kim Chee and is as happy as a clam.
I knew that I was going to be away for a day so I made a triple batch for him.
A squeeze of lemon or as the folks in Japan like it, served with tartar sauce.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom