What did you cook or eat today (August 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was too slow on the up take to post this from my birthday celebration with Missus Next Door Neighbor earlier this week:
IMG_4337.JPG

Mrs. NDN ordered an appetizer as her entrée. Pretty healthy portion if you ask me ...

IMG_4338.JPG

I saw this on the menu and couldn't resist - stuffed mushroom caps, yum! We shared.

IMG_4339.JPG

My entrée request was lobster tail with parmesan risotto (and a bowl of clam chowder that we also shared - sorry, not pictured)

IMG_4342.JPG

Tiramisu as a shared dessert .
It was unfortunate that the winery tours were closed, as we had been there on a week day 🤷‍♀️
We had a lovely time.

Hubby did poached egg and beans on toast.

His timing was a little off tonight, so not as runny as normal but just look at the colour of the yolk from one of my chooks (she's named blackberry, she's a big black Australorp (Australian breedof chook)). It's almost the same colour as the baked beans! She must have been enjoying the cape daisies that grow in our lawn. Their leaves collect a bright yellow pigment that colours the flowers and the yolks of eggs.

20240803_180112.jpg
20240803_180124.jpg

No. It has been marinating in the dressing for about 45 minutes. The soy sauce has darkened it somewhat. I also over roasted the peanuts but I wasn't about to start over. And, I used what we call English Cucumbers. The recipe calls for smaller ones. But, I just grabbed what I have from the shop.
Question. What do you call English Cucumbers in England? lol

Hubby did poached egg and beans on toast.

His timing was a little off tonight, so not as runny as normal but just look at the colour of the yolk from one of my chooks (she's named blackberry, she's a big black Australorp (Australian breedof chook)). It's almost the same colour as the baked beans! She must have been enjoying the cape daisies that grow in our lawn. Their leaves collect a bright yellow pigment that colours the flowers and the yolks of eggs.

View attachment 116879View attachment 116880
How do you get the whites to look so creamy?

Breakfast was coffee with coconut butter and a banana.

An apricot for elevenses, which I shared with my Dad ( it did feel a bit like I was 2 again).

Light lunch, beans on toast, vegan cream cheese, leftover braised cabbage from yesterday.

Gluten free choc cake, coffee and vitamin water out.

So grateful I could walk my usual distances, 7 to 9 km. Overcast and very nice to be outside.

20240803_122433.jpg
20240803_125804.jpg

No. It has been marinating in the dressing for about 45 minutes. The soy sauce has darkened it somewhat. I also over roasted the peanuts but I wasn't about to start over. And, I used what we call English Cucumbers. The recipe calls for smaller ones. But, I just grabbed what I have from the shop.
Question. What do you call English Cucumbers in England? lol
Cucumber 😆

It’s odd to us that it has another defining word attached, it is simply a cucumber, the one and only, the other types don’t get a look in 😂
Well that’s not entirely true, recently mini cucumbers (sometimes called Persian cucumbers) have made an appearance and they’re good too.

Last edited:
Our common supermarket cukes are English, Field, and Mini. Field being shorter and fatter with large seeds and more moisture in the centre. I have some out back that are ready in a couple of days. I’ll cut into one and show you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom