What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chilli con carne - a portion from a new batch.

I've just had an argument with my wife about bagging the remainder of the chilli for freezing.

We have just recently bought a cheap (£15.00) vacuum sealer. I have read the instructions (which are in Chinese with a very poor English translation). She has not read the instructions but instinctively knows how to use it. An important part of the instructions is "not to allow liquid to get into the machine". I wanted to semi-freeze the packs before offering them up to the vacuum sealer. She could not understand why. Luckily I won the argument and we haven't now got a defunct vacuum sealer.

I'll compose a report on the sealer tomorrow.

I've just had an argument with my wife about bagging the remainder of the chilli for freezing.

We have just recently bought a cheap (£15.00) vacuum sealer. I have read the instructions (which are in Chinese with a very poor English translation). She has not read the instructions but instinctively knows how to use it. An important part of the instructions is "not to allow liquid to get into the machine". I wanted to semi-freeze the packs before offering them up to the vacuum sealer. She could not understand why. Luckily I won the argument and we haven't now got a defunct vacuum sealer.

I'll compose a report on the sealer tomorrow.

You were right. Freeze things like chili first, in the bag, and then vacuum seal it.

CD

45 day dry-aged Aussie Angus T-bone. 3hr sous vide @ 54c then 2 mins per side sear in butter. I ate some veggies (promise!) but they are hidden underneath it!
2DA775D4-55A9-42AD-907F-2982D65B1F1D.jpeg

Thyme is my most used herb, it works with so many things. I have yet to figure out why store bought has soft stalks, yet home grown has wood stalks that need stripping.
The store bought ones (at least here in Finland) are grown as annual or biennial pot plants in optimal light, moisture and nutrient conditions in greenhouses; they don't have time to form woody stalks. Original Mediterranean thyme plants are shrubby perennials which form hard, woody stalks over the years. Home-grown thyme varies in softness depending on the age, the variety, growing and weather conditions and whether the plant is grown from seeds or cuttings/scions.

I'll start preparing (pistachio) venison/deer now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom