What did you cook or eat today (June 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't like them when I lived in Europe though. Thought them boring and one-dimensional in taste.
Pawpaw/papaya/lechosa (as they're called here) are delicious - but unless you're preparing raw papaya salad, they have to be perfectly ripe. Otherwise, as you so rightly point out, they're almost tasteless.
A popular way to use them in Venezuela is as a drink - often a mixture of pawpaw and orange juice. Really refreshing.

View attachment 114957View attachment 114958View attachment 114959

Today’s lunch with my brother and his wife - one pizza is pepperoni, green pepper, and mushroom, and that’s a local specialty sandwich - preformed seasoned ground steak, topped with pizza sauce, onion, and cheese, and the second pizza is chicken, bacon, garlic, ranch.
Now I want pizza for dinner but I already have items for dinner tonight. Pizza tomorrow night. Either my taco or my deep dish.

I normally go with salt. Pepper and Creole seasoning. Works well for us. It all starts with the meat. I combine ground pork and ground chuck when I make Sphagetti or lasagna. Gives it a nice flavor.
Yes a little heat with your burgers is a good thing.

This was my un-official birthday celebration dinner at The Hau Tree formally known as The Hau Tree Lanai ...

dinner on the beach.jpg

Literally, dinner on the beach!
foccacia.jpg
foccacia 1.jpg

Foccacia with whipped Balsamic Butter, AH YUM!
DH: why do we have to PAY for bread?
Moi: bread service is no longer free in most restaurants
DH: harumph!
crab tagelialelli.jpg

My dinner: Crab Tagliatelle in a beurre monte sauce with Parmesan Crumbles
salmon plate.jpg

DH's Salmon plate with peas & carrots
He didn't care the curls, they were pickled, I very much liked them.

... and for dessert we shared ...
coconut cake.jpg

Toasted Coconut Cake with a White Chocolate ganache , neither of us are fans of white chocolate, but this was very good, especially with a scoop of ice cream!
vanila ice cream.jpg

There's these little balls of some kind of candies on top the ice cream which was a nice contrast of textures.
I asked for a glass of cognac for myself and a coffee for DH, but alas, we only got the coffee...

This was my un-official birthday celebration dinner at The Hau Tree formally known as The Hau Tree Lanai ...

View attachment 114993
Literally, dinner on the beach!
View attachment 114994View attachment 114995
Foccacia with whipped Balsamic Butter, AH YUM!
DH: why do we have to PAY for bread?
Moi: bread service is no longer free in most restaurants
DH: harumph!
View attachment 114996
My dinner: Crab Tagliatelle in a beurre monte sauce with Parmesan Crumbles
View attachment 114997
DH's Salmon plate with peas & carrots
He didn't care the curls, they were pickled, I very much liked them.
It all looks lovely. I envy you being on the coast.

We went to our favorite true Hawaiian Food place today

young's.jpg

Well, the rice isn't traditional....
Starting from the top of the photo:
Poi
Lomi Lomi Salmon (kinda sorta traditional)
Squid (really it's Octopus) Luau
In the take-out container is :
Purple Sweet Potato (again kinda traditional)
under it is Pipikaula
a huge Pork Lau Lau
that rice
and a big ole portion of Kalua Pig
We have enough leftover for another meal for the two of us!

The only thing missing for moi was Opihi, they said that they have not been able to get it for years now.

Okay, so now I'm on the hunt for Opihi!

Last edited:

View attachment 115002

Poi
under it is Pipikaula
a huge Pork Lau Lau
that rice

The only thing missing for moi was Opihi, they said that they have not been able to get it for years no.

I think you should return home immediately, the beach, the food, a condo for a month and Hawaii in general clearly don't suit you one bit.. 😆

View attachment 115002

Poi
under it is Pipikaula
a huge Pork Lau Lau
that rice

The only thing missing for moi was Opihi, they said that they have not been able to get it for years no.

Is opihi illegal in Hawaii?

Code R. § 13-92-1. Section 13-92-1 - Prohibited activities (a) No person shall within the State, except as provided in § 13-92-2: (1) Take, possess, sell, or offer for sale any opihi (Cellana spp.)

Prohibited activities, Haw. Code R. § 13-92-1 - Casetext​

Haw. Code R. § 13-92-1​

Current through April, 2024
Section 13-92-1 - Prohibited activities(a) No person shall within the State, except as provided in § 13-92-2: (1) Take, possess, sell, or offer for sale any opihi (Cellana spp.) shell (with meat attached) which is less than one and one-fourth inches (3.18 centimeters) in diameter;(2) Take, possess, sell, or offer for sale any opihi (Cellana spp.) meat (without shell) less than one-half inch (1.27 centimeters) in diameter; or(3) Sell, or offer for sale any curio or jewelry made from an opihi (Cellana spp.) shell less than one and one-fourth inches (3.18 centimeters) in diameter.(b)Nothing in subsection a shall be construed as making it unlawful for any person to possess for purposes other than sale, opihi meat or shell of any size or products therefrom taken or in possession prior to August 4, 1978.
Haw. Code R. § 13-92-1
[Eff: 5/26/81; am and comp SEP 16 1989] (Auth: HRS § 187A-5) (Imp: HRS § 187A-5)

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom