What did you cook or eat today (October 2024)?

I used diced asparagus in lieu of the peas when I made it. I like peas but it didn't seem appropriate for some reason.
I think I remember you saying you were going to cook the asparagus separately last time but then didn’t?

My hands are swollen at the moment and Mr SSOAP is off to the supermarket.
He said -
“Shall I get a bag of peas for your hands?.. whats the matter, why aren’t you answering?”
“.. it’s PEAS” 😂🤣😂🤣

I think I remember you saying you were going to cook the asparagus separately last time but then didn’t?

He said -
“Shall I get a bag of peas for your hands?.. whats the matter, why aren’t you answering?”
“.. it’s PEAS” 😂🤣😂🤣
No, I never said I was going to cook the asparagus separately. I did it the same way as when I add it to my seafood pasta--at the very end, I dice the asparagus and add it. I only stirred it into the top layer of rice so as to not disturb the crust on the bottom.

No, I never said I was going to cook the asparagus separately. I did it the same way as when I add it to my seafood pasta--at the very end, I dice the asparagus and add it. I only stirred it into the top layer of rice so as to not disturb the crust on the bottom.
My mistake. I think I’m thinking of scallops and your paella.

The remainder of last night’s sausages (note: that resulted in a sinful banger-and-a-half each for us :laugh: ) along with some sauerkraut. MrsT wanted kraut. For her breakfast. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Baby spicy meatballs, potatoes & garlic, chive (or spring onion) yoghurt
It was tasty
IMG_20241009_184120_933.jpg

(Edited to remove shitty picture, but I may have messed up)

Last edited:
Last night's dinner, courtesy of a request weeks ago from badjak and Morning Glory. (Excuse the delay!)
Dum Aloo (Potatoes with yoghurt and spices)
This dish is very popular in Northern India, especially in Kashmir. I've made this many times and have to admit that it is luscious.
This time, I made it with medium sized potatoes, but previously I have made it with small Andean potatoes ( think: new potatoes, which would work a treat) . You can also make it with quartered potatoes, which would cut down the frying time by at least half. The most important thing here is to prick the potatoes all over until they become almost spongy. This ensures that they absorb all the spicy goodness from the sauce.
Curiously, no onions and no garlic, which are often slavishly associated with Indian cuisine. When you taste this dish, you'll realise that onions and garlic are absolutely unnecessary.
I cut back on the chile powder because I only had strong chile powder (about 3 times more potent than cayenne). If you use a mild-ish chile, like Kashmiri, you could happily up the amount - although the original asked for 2 TBSPS.
I also increased the amount of yoghurt, because I like this dish to be creamy. One problem with the yoghurt, however, is that it will curdle. As I mentioned, I've made it many times and it's probably curdled every single time. Doesn't matter because it's still delicious.
A quicker way to make this dish is to peel small potatoes, prick them all over until spongy, then deep fry them until golden brown. Do they work in an air fryer? No idea and have no interest in finding out, but anyone who wants to try - be my guest.
Dum Aloo 2.jpg
Dum Aloo 1.jpg

He said -
“.. it’s PEAS” 😂🤣😂🤣
Just tell him sweetcorn will do!

if your are a gardener . . . or attentive to vegetable things . . . .
- very young asparagus plots produce thin spears.
- mature asparagus plots produce thick spears in peak season
- thinner spears appear in mature plots as the season goes on.

just yesterday bought some big thick spears from Peru - from our local supermarket.
today, at a resto, had very thin spears served . . .
the two situation/conditions cannot be reconciled.

now . . . other than the "bread dish" - this food in this resto was splendid.
server maintained 'it's all prepped in-house' - and other than the sourdough bread-bits, I can believe that.

our selections:
- lobster bisque 'apps' - veddy few restos create/serve that level of taste . . . it was definitely not a Sysco soup....
- lamb tenderloin +mushroom+ mashed potato
- crab stuffed shrimp - ok, this is a shrimp with a batch of crab mixture 'contained' in the curl of the shrimp.... there is/was nothing remotely "stuffed" - but DW determined it was really good!

we will be returning there - it's not an overwhelmed resto - by observed 'covers'
.... but the kitchen skills are absolutely superb.

Back
Top Bottom