What did you cook or eat today (October 2024)?

It’s for one-and-a-half, maybe? :wink:

Seriously, it’s for the two of us, MrsT’s request (it was supposed to be salad night). Personally, I wouldn’t have had cabbage and broccoli together - I suggested mashed turnips, since I’m all out of taters, but she said no to that.

Those sausages, BTW, are “Irish-style bangers,” ale and onion variety, from Aldi. One each was plenty and is our norm around here. They’ll be appearing again tomorrow at some point, as there are three left.
Prey tell what is the difference between an Irish banger and an English one?
I ask because here Irish sausages are the same as British, there’s no discernible difference.

Probably marketing as much as anything. Irish-American as an identity is well-recognized here, so when St. Pat’s Day rolls around, there are a lot of Irish and “Irish-style” things brought out in the shops. That’s when I bought these.

179853083_3649907348469135_323007226131263989_n.jpg

Penne with roast vegetable & tomato sauce served with basil and mozzarella

I ask because here Irish sausages are the same as British, there’s no discernible difference.

Irish Bangers tend to have a lower meat content (say 45%) compared to an English sausage (at least 60% up to 90%+ for a premium one) - the fillers used are different too I believe.

I've never grilled vegetables before (other than things on a skewer over a BBQ - but never cabbage or broccoli) - how do they taste compared to boiling them, are they soft or crunchy for example?
They’re magnificent - it’s my preferred way with cabbage. Very simple to make, as they’re simply brushed with the fat of your choice (I typically use butter and/or bacon fat), sprinkled with a bit of seasoning, and into a hot oven until they’re done to your liking. Those above were at the crisp-tender stage, soft enough to happily eat the cabbage core.

I've never grilled vegetables before (other than things on a skewer over a BBQ - but never cabbage or broccoli) - how do they taste compared to boiling them, are they soft or crunchy for example?
I think you’d find the Irish disagreeing on that one 😂
In reality English and Irish sausages cover all the same bases.
Just the Irish are nationalistic or perhaps at the very least patriotic. Which is understandable.

We went out to dinner for a mystery shop job I picked up. Didn't have to take pics so didn't. I had country fried steak with white gravy, baked sweet potato and buttery corn. Craig had a bowl of Texas red chile, but it had  beans in it (whoeved named it Texas Red should be shot!), a burger with way too much stuff on it, and fries. Food was decent though and meal will cost less than $10, most of which was tip, once I am reimbursed.
I did one of those a few days ago and I too had the country fried steak! It was good.

Paella cooked by Mr SSOAP.
The frozen ready meal version from Waitrose with a pack of good fat king pawns added.
Still even with those added it wasn’t brilliant.
Not saying I would never buy it again but it needs help in the way of bolstering flavour wise.
IMG_4287.jpeg

Mr SSOAP’s who likes the peas 🤢

IMG_4288.jpeg

And mine after I’d flicked about 20 peas back into his bowl 😂

Paella cooked by Mr SSOAP.
The frozen ready meal version from Waitrose with a pack of good fat king pawns added.
Still even with those added it wasn’t brilliant.
Not saying I would never buy it again but it needs help in the way of bolstering flavour wise.
View attachment 119389
Mr SSOAP’s who likes the peas 🤢

View attachment 119390
And mine after I’d flicked about 20 peas back into his bowl 😂
I used diced asparagus in lieu of the peas when I made it. I like peas but it didn't seem appropriate for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom