What did you cook or eat today (September 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cock up all round today. A mate rang suggesting an afternoon in the pub. I had planned a burger because that would be easy and take no time at all when I returned.

At my age I should have learnt (but I haven't).

After 3 hours in the pub and 5 pints my wife picked me up at was then "schools out" time. She wanted some produce for a special Buddha day tomorrow but even getting close to a parking spot near the market was a challenge. It was eventually accomplished by which time a char siu noodle dinner appeared to be favourite.

No chance. The noodle shop was closed (I have no idea how they make money!).

Resort to the cupboard and a Heinz beef broth soup.

Egg, avocado, tomatoes on flatbread made from kefir and plain flour. The egg has urfa flakes on it. The avocado has rascal's delicious chilli sauce on it (sent to me all the way from New Zealand). Thank you rascal! More about that later.

Other than in haggis I don't think I've ever eaten lambs heart, and I certainly haven't cooked it. Being mainly muscle I assume that's it's quite tough and in need of slow cooking?

You can cook it low and slow in liquid for a relatively lengthy period of time (less so for lamb, more so for beef heart). While I did this for yesterday's dish, you can also slice thin, and quickly pan fry it so it remains rare/medium rare - which is a way I really enjoy heart. There
a stage between a nice medium rare set of slices and a low slow cook which is also nice - where the heart turns into a chewy mess I wouldn't want to eat. It is after all, the hardest working muscle in the body!

You can cook it low and slow in liquid for a relatively lengthy period of time (less so for lamb, more so for beef heart). While I did this for yesterday's dish, you can also slice thin, and quickly pan fry it so it remains rare/medium rare - which is a way I really enjoy heart. There
a stage between a nice medium rare set of slices and a low slow cook which is also nice - where the heart turns into a chewy mess I wouldn't want to eat. It is after all, the hardest working muscle in the body!
Just like squid then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom