What did you cook or eat today (September 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is "Feed the Ghost Day"? Is it a religious tradition? Is the meal shared with friends and family? Please give a run down on the beautiful food on your table.

It's total superstition. The food is just prepared and laid out as if for a banquet for ancestors. The ungrateful bastards never (in my experience) eat or drink any of it and after about a couple of hours the "table" (it's on the floor) is cleared and the food either eaten by live humans or given to the dogs (the meat is not of the highest quality).

MrsT's choice:

I'm envious. Many years ago we could find taco "shells" on the supermarket shelves but they disappeared for no apparent reason. I suppose I could try and make some myself but that is likely to end in disaster. Ours were "El Paso" similar to these....

999999-58300196848.jpg

It's total superstition. The food is just prepared and laid out as if for a banquet for ancestors. The ungrateful bastards never (in my experience) eat or drink any of it and after about a couple of hours the "table" (it's on the floor) is cleared and the food either eaten by live humans or given to the dogs (the meat is not of the highest quality).
Seems similar to what my colleagues do in Singapore only Singaporean ghosts also request money and clothes and cars and toys (they use miniatures or pictures of the expensive stuff they’re not giving real cars to ghosts).

My plan was to eat chicken leftovers but I had rough day so last minute decision was my dinner changed to prawn curry with naan, literally last minute because I changed my mind about dinner at 7pm. Low effort curry, it’s basically just prawns, coconut milk and curry spice. The naan had trouble puffing, maybe because it’s a new gluten free recipe I tried or maybe because I didn’t let it unfreeze long enough.
B6992435-9581-46CC-AB19-53D60A1BCC66.jpeg

I'm envious. Many years ago we could find taco "shells" on the supermarket shelves but they disappeared for no apparent reason. I suppose I could try and make some myself but that is likely to end in disaster. Ours were "El Paso" similar to these....

View attachment 46599
Can you get regular corn tortillas? If so, it's dead easy to make taco shells. Just heat a couple of inches of oil in a skillet, and using tongs to hold it, fry one side, then hold it by the crispy end and fry the other side, bending it into a shell shape as it fries.

Yes. But they are cut into little triangles.

We can get flour tortillas which I use for quesadillas but I'm not sure if they will work.
They'll be different, but fine. Here's a way to do them in the oven (though I think fried are better, naturally):

How to Make No-Fry Taco Shells

Hey...maybe that air fryer thingy you got would work.

What used to be the best restaurant in Cyprus lost its way for a couple of years. Its now back, with the original Maitre D, and everything was superb.
Bread, baked in house, with butter and parsley oil.View attachment 46581

Chicken fajitas. Wife had seam bass creviche (no photo)View attachment 46583
Chicken. With all sorts of stuff.View attachment 46582
Sea bass with lime panko coating.View attachment 46584

I've never seen anyone put clothes-pins on fajitas/tacos to keep them closed. Interesting.

CD

D.i.l birthday tomorrow, her choice
Garlic bread.
Chicken croquettes served with tomato and American squeeze mustard
Fillet steaks wrapped in bacon with choice mustard sauce or garlic sauce. Potato dauphinois ( her choice ) asparagus and carrot.
Chocolate mousse. Her fave.

So today I check my stocks, I had to make today
Croquettes, garlic sauce and garlic butter.
Busy day in the kitchen, just sat down. It's 3:30 pm here.

Russ

My plan was to eat chicken leftovers but I had rough day so last minute decision was my dinner changed to prawn curry with naan, literally last minute because I changed my mind about dinner at 7pm. Low effort curry, it’s basically just prawns, coconut milk and curry spice. The naan had trouble puffing, maybe because it’s a new gluten free recipe I tried or maybe because I didn’t let it unfreeze long enough.

I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't cook the prawns in their shells. It's messing with them in the sauce that puts me off. I cannot put the whole prawns in my mouth and then spit out the shell like the Chinese do.

When I lived in Kuala Lumpur and ate sambal udang in The Shangri-La, I would always ask the chef to remove the shells before adding to the sauce.

This is my effort at Sambal Udang.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom