What did you cook or eat today (September 2024)

IMG_9253.jpeg

I haven't noticed? Are chains doing it or just smaller family owned joints?
Well, pizza is pretty uptown these days, so I’d say family-owned shops and the fancy pizza places as well.

Way back in…1991, when we lived in San Antonio, our mom-and-pop pizza place had sliced meatballs available as a topping.

IMG_9255.jpeg
IMG_9256.jpeg

It looks burnt, but it’s not.

Chicken thigh, leftover rice, and an old jar of gravy, doctored up with wine and parsley, with mushrooms added.

Funny thing…I rarely ever use jarred gravy. It’s usually in the cupboard as an emergency backup, and I think I bought this two or three years ago.

I know that stuff is salty, so when I made the mushrooms, I didn’t salt that at all, and when I had MrsT taste it, she said, “Oh my god, that’s soooooo salty!” - she’s used to the homemade stuff.

I opened the fridge and pulled out some potatoes I made yesterday, some sprouts and some courgettes/zucchini. Reheated the potatoes in the oven, cooked the Brussels Sprouts with toasted almonds and honey, and stirfried the courgettes with cumin, fresh chile and coriander leaf. That worked!

The potatoes from yesterday were to accompany a mega-quiche I made last week. I always make it in this pie dish, thinking that I'd feed the family, the cleaner and the gardener... the family are in the UK and neither the cleaner nor the gardener came, so I was stuck with this quiche. I've eaten it 4 times in the last week...
Quiche.jpg

ANYway...I hate to waste good food. Back to the potatoes. I've eaten the quiche with boiled potatoes, fried potatoes, mashed potatoes and today, with this little number I put together off the top of my head, Potatoes with Chorizo and Cream, but which was actually rather tasty. That's the reason I wrote up the recipe to share with you, because it was just one of those things that worked.
I bought some small, "dry"chorizo sausages in the supermarket, and you guys probably won't find the same, but use slices of Spanish chorizo and just cut them into bits. Frying them releases the fat, and as the chorizo contains paprika, or Spanish pimentón, that pepper flavour oozes into the oil. The garlic was sliced and fried with the chorizo at the last minute: it toasted a bit, and that added even more flavour. Make sure the chorizo/cream mixture is thin ( add more milk if necessary) because the potatoes will absorb the liquid.
Papas con Chorizo 2.jpg

The potatoes were delicious, and rich and creamy.
As usual, I could not have completed the dish without my faithful sous-chef, Mr Porky, who dutifully tasted everything that fell off the counter:

Dog.jpg

View attachment 118098View attachment 118099

Chicken thigh, leftover rice, and an old jar of gravy, doctored up with wine and parsley, with mushrooms added.

Funny thing…I rarely ever use jarred gravy. It’s usually in the cupboard as an emergency backup, and I think I bought this two or three years ago.

I know that stuff is salty, so when I made the mushrooms, I didn’t salt that at all, and when I had MrsT taste it, she said, “Oh my god, that’s soooooo salty!” - she’s used to the homemade stuff.
It doesn't look burnt. It looks delicious.

View attachment 118098View attachment 118099

That is NOT burnt, that is GBD if I've ever seen it. 🥰

Edit: spellimg

Back
Top Bottom