What made you smile recently (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
KR.jpg

Growing up, our closest neighbor, about a mile away, owned a junk yard and towing service. With six kids and some farm equipment, we had a lot of cars/trucks/motorcycles/tractors in some state of disrepair, so we’d always head up to Luke’s junk yard looking for spare parts before we’d ever think of going to a proper auto parts store.

Cars stacked up like that…wedged in on their sides, and you had to fight the snakes and the spiders and the rats and the stray dogs and feral cats that all lived back there.

Luke, though…you’d say, “Hey, I need a fuel pump for a ‘63 LeMans, you have something like that?”

He’d look sideways at you, spit some tobacco juice, and reply, “Ain’t got no LeMans (which he’d pronounce “Lee-Man’s”)…they’s a ‘65 Skylark back there, though…that oughta work…go ‘bout 2/3rds a ways back, past the black Cadillac, turn that corner, They’s a mail truck on its side, past that, start looking the other side of the drive, you’ll see it. Dirty green.”

Come back up with the part, ask how much it was, it was always the same, didn’t matter what you needed, “How much do I owe you, Luke?”

“Well…let’s see…(spit)…I reckon three dollars oughta do it.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom