What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALDI:

IMG_5892.jpeg

Artichokes (in water, not oil) aren’t something I buy very often, but I need them for a recipe this weekend, and I want to try that dehydrated spaetzle thingy, just for the novelty of it.

IMG_5893.jpeg

Goat cheese, another infrequent purchase, for the same recipe as the artichoke hearts.

IMG_5894.jpeg

Mushrooms are also for that same recipe.

No photos, sorry ...
our local Kroger's (Fry's here in the West) had Pork Shoulder-Butt (that just didn't seem right to me somehow...) on sale $1.49/lb; Beef Chuck Roast $2.97/lb (regular price $7.49/lb :eek:)and 18 count large Eggs for $1.29 ... oh, and Yoplait Yogurt 10/$4.
I butchered up the Beef myself for Stew, but I forgot to buy a 3lbs. bag of Potatoes and some Carrots ... we'll get that later ... DH and I had just last night been talking about that last night and that I should watch for another sale, GOT IT!
The Pork, I did a quick deep freeze inventory and found that we're going to need more of my home made Kalua Pig soon, perfect timing!
The price of Eggs have been bouncing all over the place and Yoplait averages at 90¢/carton :mad: around here - no bueno, we eat a lot of that stuff.

Just Kroger today, no ALDI:

IMG_5983.jpeg

That pot pie topic last week got me craving more pot pie, so that’s what the chicken and pie crusts are for.

IMG_5984.jpeg

Strawberries for the last strawberry challenge. Have to be quick!

IMG_5985.jpeg

That was the absolute last cabbage at Kroger. No green, and just that one purple one.

That pot pie topic last week got me craving more pot pie, so that’s what the chicken and pie crusts are for.

Tinned chicken! I don't think we have that here and its packed in water... seems really strange to me. Now why would you you use tinned chicken for pot pie? Is it cheaper than fresh chicken?

Tinned chicken! I don't think we have that here and its packed in water... seems really strange to me. Now why would you you use tinned chicken for pot pie? Is it cheaper than fresh chicken?
It’s already cooked, and it’s already cut up and ready to go. I get a pic of it when I get it out.

Cheaper than fresh? No, not really. That larger can is 12oz, I think, and it’s $6US for a can. An entire cooked rotisserie chicken is $7, and that’s how much a whole uncooked chicken is as well.

Canned chicken like that is used a lot here, especially for chicken salad sandwiches, same as canned tuna is used for tuna salad sandwiches. There are some things you want a piece of chicken for, I suppose, and some things you want already-cut-up chicken for. 🤷‍♂️

It’s already cooked, and it’s already cut up and ready to go. I get a pick of it when I get it out.

Cheaper than fresh? No, not really. That larger can is 12oz, I think, and it’s $6US for a can. An entire cooker rotisserie chicken is $7, and that’s how much a whole uncooked chicken is as well.

Canned chicken like that is used a lot here, especially for chicken salad sandwiches, same as canned tuna is used for tuna salad sandwiches. There are some things you want a piece of chicken for, I suppose, and some things you want already-cut-up chicken for. 🤷‍♂️
I used to use it to make chicken ala king.

Next thing we know, you'll be plating Heinz tinned ravioli.
:hyper::hyper::laugh::laugh:
Nah…first, it’d be Chef-Boy-R-Dee, and that’s just once a year or so for nostalgia.

Now, from-frozen ravioli…or the shelf-stable stuff? Absolutely! After making ravioli from scratch one time, I decided that’ll be something that’ll have to wait until I’m retired and have more time on my hands before I do it again.

Nah…first, it’d be Chef-Boy-R-Dee, and that’s just once a year or so for nostalgia.

Now, from-frozen ravioli…or the shelf-stable stuff? Absolutely! After making ravioli from scratch one time, I decided that’ll be something that’ll have to wait until I’m retired and have more time on my hands before I do it again.

Chef BRD is what I ate as a kid -- and sometimes in the college dorm room. I don't know that I've ever seen Heinz canned ravioli here. :scratchhead:

CD

It’s already cooked, and it’s already cut up and ready to go. I get a pic of it when I get it out.

Cheaper than fresh? No, not really. That larger can is 12oz, I think, and it’s $6US for a can. An entire cooked rotisserie chicken is $7, and that’s how much a whole uncooked chicken is as well.

Here you can get tins of cooked chicken in sauce ready made for pies. But not simply cooked chicken. Tuna, yes. Ham, yes. Also beef in gravy.

Here you can get tins of cooked chicken in sauce ready made for pies. But not simply cooked chicken. Tuna, yes. Ham, yes. Also beef in gravy.
It’s not considered a cheap or low-quality product at all. When I make “quick” chicken noodle soup, that’s what I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom