What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maple butter sounds good. You got that at Aldi? Is it seasonal? I won’t have a car to use till maybe next week.
Yep, we got that at ALDI. It’s in the “ALDI Finds” section, where they have limited release items, as opposed to regularly stocked things.

Picked up a few items. Guess what they are for. :wink:

1696891001608.jpeg

Actually, the sausage was in my freezer, so I just took it out today. That, and some vacuum sealed ground beef.

CD

Rush job this morning. Chicken, Coriander, mint, veggies, milk powder, yoghurt.
Asked to do a "tasting" dinner for some "influencers" this evening.
Let's see how much influence they really have :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

The differences between US and UK perceptions of ingredients can be really surprising sometimes. I don't mean my personal perception but the cultural 'perception'.
Here’re a couple of pics, showing the chicken in all its tinny glory:

IMG_6072.jpeg

That’s the all-white-meat can on the left, and the white-and-dark-meat on the right.

IMG_6073.jpeg

Drained and set aside.

IMG_6074.jpeg

Its new home in my chicken pot pie filling.

I'm waiting to hear... if it went well you will be all over the internet soon!
This is all a bit wierd for me. Go make a dinner for 6 people you've never heard of, but who command hundreds and thousands of "followers" on instagram.
First thoughts: "what do I get out of it?"
I got to the place 2 hours early, ready to prep everything and cook as soon as the guests arrived.
"Where are the pans/saucepans/pots ?"
"Oh, we haven't got any. Why?"
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
"How am I supposed to cook without pans?"
"Oh, yeah...let me call the boss"
An hour later, the pots and pans arrived. 15 minutes until the guests appeared. "Rambo" mode. Boil water, fry onions, chop coriander and mint, fry vadas (like falafel, but Indian), prepare rice, poach veg, fry coconut, no colander, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Anyway, in good Venezuelan style, no-one arrived on time, so that gave me 30 minutes. Service was 30 minutes "late" but no-one seemed to notice.
When I was ready to plate... "We need to make a video of you plating the food"
("it's going to get cold")
Plating done in record time, dishes served... and the "influencers" were rabbiting on 10 to the dozen.
" You need to explain what they're going to eat"
Explained. Happy, happy people, i-phones flashing, blah, blah, blah.
Food going cold...
Never mind - they loved it.
Then a videoed interview, where was I from, what made me interested in Indian food, etc., etc.
Went in to speak with "THE INFLUENCERS" once more. Wonderful, great conversation, lovely young people, lots of jokes, smiles, praise, etc.
Packed up all my stuff and drove home.
Sat in the front garden with a nice cigar and a beer and wondered what all this "influencer" crap is about.

THEN it dawned on me.
I'm 71, they're 35. Generation gap. WTF:hyper::hyper:

*PS. I got a message from one of the young ladies today. Said all the food was spectacular and it was great meeting me. I expect I shall have 4,000,000 followers tomorrow. I might declare I'm the new Messiah of Indian food, who knows?

*PS. I got a message from one of the young ladies today. Said all the food was spectacular and it was great meeting me. I expect I shall have 4,000,000 followers tomorrow. I might declare I'm the new Messiah of Indian food, who knows?

You probably won't have time for the rest of us after this. :smug:

CD

got a message from one of the young ladies today. Said all the food was spectacular and it was great meeting me. I expect I shall have 4,000,000 followers tomorrow. I might declare I'm the new Messiah of Indian food, who knows?

You are destined for fame! Will you be able to handle it though? It can be very tiring having all those photo shoots and celebrity appearances.

You are destined for fame! Will you be able to handle it though?
Left it a bit late in life, but who knows? I shall bask in it, if I can manage to stand up straight at the photo shoots.
I do not suffer from stage fright, mind you. Years of singing bass-baritone got rid of that. I'm perfectly at home on radio or TV (although I do have to make a conscious effort to avoid swearing :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: ) and am quite happy to rabbit on about my cooking for as long as people can put up with me. (Usually about 5 minutes)
The fact that I speak Spanish with an accent is also a great draw ( Or maybe just comical; probably the latter).
If it doesn't work out, I'll simply retire to Bollywood.

IMG_6083.jpeg

Berries are for sangria on Sunday, and peppers are for… :whistling:

IMG_6084.jpeg

You can tell it’s Fall, because MrsT is craving maple, and I’m craving cranberries.

I usually buy those little four-packs of mini wines for cooking, but those are $7US, and that standard bottle of ALDI wine is barely $4 - it works out to the same amount of wine, but it’s much more economical buying the ALDI wine (and it’s decent wine, too).

IMG_6085.jpeg

MrsT’s usual snack chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom