What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we didn't bring many goodies home, so this is it.

So Cloudberry liqueur, Cloudberry jam/jelly and sea buckthorn jam/jelly
20231105_125218.jpg

Some herbal Sea Buckthorn tea and herbal Cloudberry tea.

20231105_125148.jpg

A 5 pack of vegan Ritter Sport (from Finland) and a big container of our favourite vegetable stock. We can get it in Australia from 1 supplier but they are importing it from Europe via America, so I thought I may as well just put one in my suitcase.

20231105_125201.jpg

And a bar of vegan chocolate that ended up being purchased so we could park the car.

20231030_170713.jpg

This seems to be a fundamental problem with regions and apps to pay for things like car parking on your phone. The machine wouldn't take cards, (no signal drop in the Yorkshire Dales) and because our phones set to Australia. Apps stores such as Apple and Google Play restrict your access to your region. So when you travel overseas, you can't change you region to get the app to pay for parking because all of these companies only allow 1 change of region every 12 months!

This seems to be a fundamental problem with regions and apps to pay for things like car parking on your phone. The machine wouldn't take cards, (no signal drop in the Yorkshire Dales) and because our phones set to Australia.
Sort of related, we got trapped in a parking garage in Ireland once because the lot was an automated one, you paid on the way out, and the ticket machine had issues with all our American credit cards!

Went to the market today and went over to the meat counter, which I rarely do, and they had Duroc double cut bone-in and single cut Pork Chops. I was very tempted at $6.49/lb but I'm thinking, how should I cook that cut of meat?

That is a perfect cut of meat for sous vide. You can safely cook it to a lower temperature by just cooking it longer. I cook it for two hours at 136F. then I do a quick sear, one minute per side in a cast iron pan. It is slightly pink inside, and very tender and juicy.

1699487927396.jpeg

CD

Have you tried the Simple Choice "no stir" organic peanut butter? It's pretty good, and it really doesn't separate.

CD
If you’re talking about the stuff I think you are, it has other stuff in it, like palm oil and sugar. Crazy Richard’s is just peanuts.

That one is for MrsT. I like crunchy, so I get that and pour all the oil off, because I like my peanut butter thick and chalky.

If you’re talking about the stuff I think you are, it has other stuff in it, like palm oil and sugar. Crazy Richard’s is just peanuts.

That one is for MrsT. I like crunchy, so I get that and pour all the oil off, because I like my peanut butter thick and chalky.

Yes, it does -- palm oil, sugar and salt. I get the chunky version, too. I do NOT like my PB chalky, which is why I like the no-stir part. There are other no-stir natural PBs out there, but many of them still separate, from my experience.

CD

Imagine making a peanut butter sandwich with peanut butter that’s the consistency of the peanut butter in a Reese’s peanut butter cup. That’s my sandwich. :cool:

I figured it was like the inside of a Reese's cup, which I do like -- in a Reese's cup. On a PB&J, I like a smooth PB, with little chunks of crushed peanuts.

CD

That is a perfect cut of meat for sous vide. You can safely cook it to a lower temperature by just cooking it longer. I cook it for two hours at 136F. then I do a quick sear, one minute per side in a cast iron pan. It is slightly pink inside, and very tender and juicy.

View attachment 106906

CD
What did you season/marinade the chop with before it went into the zip bag? I really want to try this.

What did you season/marinade the chop with before it went into the zip bag? I really want to try this.

That was a while ago, so I'm not sure if I used a marinade. I can definitely see some black pepper on it.

If I did use a marinade, it had to be this...

1699580983045.png

I love this stuff.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom