What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2024)?

If anybody has a Winn Dixie close, they are having great sales on various proteins if you are a member of their savings program. $9 a pound for red royal shrimp. $6 a pound for boneless chuck roast thru Sunday. Ahi tuna for $7 a pound. They didn't have any out, so I asked. They brought a whole tuna loin out and cut off what I wanted. There's enough for 2 nice thick steaks, plus a thinner piece for sushi. Pork belly for $4 a pound. Individually wrapped and frozen cod fillet pieces for $9 a pound.

Plus, we had a coupon for $15 off a purchase over $75. So, we pretty much cleaned up.
Jealous!

y'all know I love me my Spam, but I had to pass this one by ...

spam flavored mac nuts.jpg

NOPE!

y'all know I love me my Spam, but I had to pass this one by ...

View attachment 115022

NOPE!
Are you sure it's a no?
Nuts in formed meats like ham and chicken are massive in Spain and whilst I'm not a huge fan of formed ham I think the ones with nuts in do taste better.
Might be worth a try? Then again if it was an instant NO perhaps not 😆

Are you sure it's a no?
Nuts in formed meats like ham and chicken are massive in Spain and whilst I'm not a huge fan of formed ham I think the ones with nuts in do taste better.
Might be worth a try? Then again if it was an instant NO perhaps not 😆

I took them as being nuts flavoured with Spam rather than nuts mixed into the Spam.

I took them as being nuts flavoured with Spam rather than nuts mixed into the Spam.
Ah yes I'm sure you're right. I can't look at spam for too long without feeling queasy - thank-you very much school dinners 😂

Ham flavoured may just mean salty, meaty n perhaps smokey, maybe a variation on BBQ flavour nuts?
I'm curious to try them now 😆

SandwichShortOfAPicnic Morning Glory SatNavSaysStraightOn
Yes, these are Spam flavored Macadamia Nuts.
While reading reviews of this product on Amazon, it seemed to be a mixed bag as to likes and dislikes.
I love me my Spam, but maybe not so much on my Mac Nuts thank you and certainly not for that price!
I can't believe how much the cost has risen since we were home five years ago.
We prefer the Maui Onion and Garlic flavored Mac Nuts.

My eldest's birthday in just over a weeks time and he LOVES fish.
It's not something I buy often (for a variety of reasons), possibly 5 or 6 times a year and most of that is tinned tuna for my pannier kitchen or prawns for curry so in general he doesn't get much fish from mums kitchen.
Kaneogirlinaz blog pics of fish got me thinking.

So I'm going to do multiple fish courses for his birthday as a surprise and have ordered a lot of fish from 'The Fish Society' who sell fish that is responsibly soured and super frozen (thats frozen to -60 as soon as it's caught to prevent any degradation.

Ordered -
Lobster
Rainbow trout caviar (roe).
Sashimi grade tuna (probably do a tuna tartare or ceviche).
Scallops
Salt and Pepper Squid
Octopus skewers
Salmon, Monkfish and Prawns for a fish pie.

The Fish Society have some interesting stuff including things I haven't tried like Monkfish liver which apparently is like fish paté.
The Fish Society | Leading Online Fishmonger | Next Day Delivery

Also ordered (not for birthday lunch).
Escargot, potted prawns and lavabread which slightly grosses me out but has to be tried!

If anyones cooked laverbread let me know. I'm thinking of doing a welsh breakfast with cockles and hogs pudding - that last bit is West Country not Welsh but why not?!

Last edited:
If anyones cooked lavabread let me know.
Wow, what a wonderful effort for your son's B day. He will be thrilled!
Have never heard of lavabread, only of lava cake and lava muffins. Is it raw dough that is the lava or another ingredient?
My daughter baked a lava cake for her just 3 days ago.

Wow, what a wonderful effort for your son's B day. He will be thrilled!
Have never heard of lavabread, only of lava cake and lava muffins. Is it raw dough that is the lava or another ingredient?
My daughter baked a lava cake for her just 3 days ago.

It's seaweed thats boiled to death! 😂

Laverbread - Wikipedia

Edit: typo in first post, now corrected. Soz peeps.

Oh
It's seaweed thats boiled to death! 😂

Laverbread - Wikipedia

Edit: typo in first post, now corrected. Soz peeps.
Wow, I missread, so sorry. Possibly the lack of good sleep😆Laverbread, not lavabread...Goodness...
No, never heard of that seaweed, or its history, seems to be a very traditional dish...
Oh it was a typo, oh well, then I did sleep well😅😅...no problem...happens to everyone...

Oh

Wow, I missread, so sorry. Possibly the lack of good sleep😆Laverbread, not lavabread...Goodness...
No, never heard of that seaweed, or its history, seems to be a very traditional dish...
Oh it was a typo, oh well, then I did sleep well😅😅...no problem...happens to everyone...
I'm sure if it was a real delight the dish would have travelled further than the coasts where it's traditionally made but it hasn't so I'm suspicious!

So I'm going to do multiple fish courses for his birthday as a surprise and

Sashimi grade tuna (probably do a tuna tartare or ceviche).

We love Sushi Kushi from Chef Norman van Aiken. He is a chef that made his mark in South Florida back years ago and was a TV food personality for a while. The Sushi kushi, AKA Asian tuna tartare, is in the middle and is dressed with sesame oil, sriracha, tamari and a couple of other things, avocado slices, and a honey, mustard, sriracha, sesame oil, etc., aioli.

Sushi kushi, AKA Asian tuna tartare, dressed with sesame oil, sriracha, tamari and a couple of other things, avocado slices, and a honey, mustard, sriracha, sesame oil, etc., aioli.

I'll snap a picture of the recipes and send privately if you are interested. They are a bit involved, but can be made earlier in the day.

The shrimp thing is pretty good too, and it's quite simple. Forgive the crab Rangoon. I bought the grocery store wrappers and they didn't work well obviously.
2021-04-13 19.28.44 (1).jpg

We love Sushi Kushi from Chef Norman van Aiken. He is a chef that made his mark in South Florida back years ago and was a TV food personality for a while. The Sushi kushi, AKA Asian tuna tartare, is in the middle and is dressed with sesame oil, sriracha, tamari and a couple of other things, avocado slices, and a honey, mustard, sriracha, sesame oil, etc., aioli.

Sushi kushi, AKA Asian tuna tartare, dressed with sesame oil, sriracha, tamari and a couple of other things, avocado slices, and a honey, mustard, sriracha, sesame oil, etc., aioli.

I'll snap a picture of the recipes and send privately if you are interested. They are a bit involved, but can be made earlier in the day.

The shrimp thing is pretty good too, and it's quite simple. Forgive the crab Rangoon. I bought the grocery store wrappers and they didn't work well obviously.
View attachment 115078
I'd LOVE to have the tuna tartare recipe, I've actually been googling asian tuna tartare because I think thats the way I'm gonna go with it.
That looks lovely.
What dips have you got there? I'm thinking I'll need some for the salt n pepper squid and the octopus skewers.

I'd LOVE to have the tuna tartare recipe, I've actually been googling asian tuna tartare because I think thats the way I'm gonna go with it.
That looks lovely.
What dips have you got there? I'm thinking I'll need some for the salt n pepper squid and the octopus skewers.
I found the tuna recipe in a not a recipe thread i posted long ago. So, I copied and pasted. I'll have to get the book out though for the aioli.

Recipe - Sushi Kushi

The dips are the aioli used to drizzle on the Sushi Kushi and the dressing for the shrimp dish, which is sliced half moons of seeded cucumber and grated carrot, with steamed, peeled shrimp. It's kimchi base and honey. I just add honey to the kkmchi base until it's not so spicy that I can eat it. Kimchi base is a bit expensive even at the Asian market but a little goes a long way. I also use it to make spicy tuna rolls for Craig when I make sushi.
71b5lpSb86L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom