What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2024)?

Ziti pasta today
I am not a huge fan of this pasta shape, however it brings childhood memories and also make a fantastic Sunday baked pasta dish

IMG_5653.jpeg
IMG_5650.jpeg

Our ziti here is always cut into short lengths:

View attachment 115445
Kroger

I have never seen ziti already cut, here in our country they are quite long and if you have a tall pot you can cook them easily. Which I obviously don't have and so I have to break them in half but they are still quite long. I've never particularly liked them precisely because they're a bit difficult to eat, they fall apart as you bite into them, they're smooth and therefore slippery.
So why did I cook them?
Because this way I finally got rid of them! :laugh:
But I admit that they were very good baked.

That’s probably the number one way they’re used here - baked ziti.

I can remember a time years ago, when my sister was a teenager, how all the “women’s magazines” she and my mom read (like Cosmopolitan and Woman’s World and all that) recommended baked ziti as the best dish to “land that man you’ve been trying to get to commit!” :laugh:

I have never seen ziti already cut, here in our country they are quite long and if you have a tall pot you can cook them easily. Which I obviously don't have and so I have to break them in half but they are still quite long. I've never particularly liked them precisely because they're a bit difficult to eat, they fall apart as you bite into them, they're smooth and therefore slippery.
So why did I cook them?
Because this way I finally got rid of them! :laugh:
I like making baked Pasta with small rigatoni with the ridges or small to medium shells. I've never really liked ziti either.

That’s probably the number one way they’re used here - baked ziti.

I can remember a time years ago, when my sister was a teenager, how all the “women’s magazines” she and my mom read (like Cosmopolitan and Woman’s World and all that) recommended baked ziti as the best dish to “land that man you’ve been trying to get to commit!” :laugh:

This makes sense as in Apulian and also Neapolitan dialect, do you know what 'ziti o zita' means?

It means girlfriend/boyfriend! 💍That's why! It all adds up!😅

Ziti isn’t a well known dish over here which is surprising because it’s exactly the sort of thing Brit’s would enjoy.
That pasta isn’t available in supermarkets either. The closest is probably a rigatoni or penne.
Garofalo sell one called Penne Ziti that’s clearly just Penne!

Maybe you can find Ziti from De Cecco?

Purchased:

Smoked salmon
1 Arctic char fillet
1 rainbow trout
3 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
Sweetbreads (frozen)
2 small lamb chops
Fresh figs
1 package hen of the woods mushrooms
1 package oyster mushrooms
1 head of red leaf lettuce
1 small bottle avocado oil
1 small bottle of balsamic vinegar reduction
1 can Amy's vegan Thai Coconut Soup
1 small wedge of Brie
2 store-made spanakopita.
5 cans cat food (not for me)

This is from a specialty grocery that i don't get to very often - my shopping cart rarely contains most, if any, of the above elsewhere. Maybe the lettuce or the chicken thighs, and very occasionally the oyster mushrooms.

Back
Top Bottom