What's going on in your garden (2024)?

IMG_9988.jpeg
I’ve got quadruple moonflowers blooming tonight!

It rained all night, it cooled down by 10c, to about 22c, which is very agreeable. Still rains.
I might want to use parts of the day for the flower bed weeding, if I get to it.

I was wrong, not Hibiscus, but Marshmallow, sorry!
Althaea officinalis.
I don't know what to do with it, leave it or cut it down to 10cm...it seems it reflowers several years, might just leave it as is...

Found an older pic, it's very pretty pink flower. It's dried out now.

20240910_110047.jpg
20240808_084326.jpg

Things are almost done out there. I have a few things still going. Tomatoes will be done soon. It looks like I may get a few nice cabbages. Hope they aren't full of grubs. Probably one more picking' of green beens. Herbs are still good. My weed plant is almost ready to cut down. My hot peppers didn't do well this year. I got a few, but not like recent years. All in all, it was ok. I didn't have a whole lot of time this year so I guess you get what you give...

We have a guy starting a 14x10 stone patio at the bottom of the deck steps. He said he'll have some crushed stone left over so I'm going to use it as a floor for a 6x6 greenhouse I bought last week. It's still in the box in the garage. I'm hoping to get it built in a few weeks before it gets too cold. Now, I have to research how to use one for the spring time.

Last edited:
t as a floor for a 6x6 greenhouse I bought last week.
Good thing about a greenhouse is that the bugs can be better controlled. Here in the tropics there are insects you never dreamed of, and they're always hungry, and there are fungus from Hell and birds that will eat anything. I seem to spend more time spraying insecticides and chucking ant powder on my veggies than actually eating them.

Sadly our flowers have gone over so need to make a start on getting rid. Gorgeous sunny day today so will be a pleasure to work in.

I'm trying to spray as little as possible and then mainly "harmless" products like vinegar, chili, bicarb solutions.
We'll see if I manage once the rains come.
My biggest problem are termites....
Nasty things.
And nematodes

I'll put up a shade house when I got some time and money.

For now, my yardlong beans and tomatillos are quite productive. Making sure everything has enough water is an issue

Pulled up a lot of plants but left the lavender because there are still bees around.
Lavender is a perennial so you could leave it in the ground and let it flower next year and the year after... it is quite hardy. My parents had lavender growing as very well, much further north of you. Lobelia is another that despite being treated as an annual in the UK, isn't. It will flower again next year and again is reasonably hardy.

I've also just picked over 100 🍋 that from the branches of the lemon tree thwart i had to cut back. One of the big branches was starting to break under the weight of them. And to be honest, you can hardly tell that I've taken a hundred plus off. I'm now trying hard to give them away!

Back
Top Bottom