What's going on in your garden (2024)?

Got triple monarch butterflies on the liatris today!
IMG_9888.jpeg

It’s moonflower season! I’ve been getting 1-2 of these gorgeous blooms every night. They close during the day and open around 6 pm. They are heavily scented as well.
View attachment 117842

I so want to grow these. I managed to get some seed once imported from USA, but didn't succeed. I think they may be related to morning glory which is my favourite flower (not sure). But are they polar opposites. Morning glory flowers close as the light fades.

Edit: just checked and ther are indeed both ipomoea.

I so want to grow these. I managed to get some seed once imported from USA, but didn't succeed. I think they may be related to morning glory which is my favourite flower (not sure). But are they polar opposites. Morning glory flowers close as the light fades.

Edit: just checked and ther are indeed both ipomoea.
I wish I had some advice for you on how to grow them, but honestly I just stick mine in a pot with some potting soil, give them a support of some type, and let them climb. Mine is currently trying to climb up the drainpipe to the roof, while another tendril had managed to grab a hold of a branch on my neighbour’s tree.

I do know that the seeds are supposed to be stored in the fridge until ready to plant - have you tried that?

I wish I had some advice for you on how to grow them, but honestly I just stick mine in a pot with some potting soil, give them a support of some type, and let them climb. Mine is currently trying to climb up the drainpipe to the roof, while another tendril had managed to grab a hold of a branch on my neighbour’s tree.

I do know that the seeds are supposed to be stored in the fridge until ready to plant - have you tried that?

Its the wrong climate to grow them really but I may try again next year.

Oops! I think I’ll need some Butternut squash recipes. That's about 1/3 of them. More to come. Not sure why but I made four hills for various cucurbit veggies. This one outperformed the other ones by a long shot. Good thing because they last well into the winter. Always handy for a dinner veg if I don't want to stop at the grocery store on my way home from work.

IMG_4916.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom