What's going on in your garden (2024)?

Sooooo the area next to my wood shed has been a wee bit neglected over the years. This is partly due to my husband stacking wood there, and then never actually getting around to chopping it, but that’s another story. Anyway, I determined to get it cleaned up this year. Made some decent progress today.
Before:
IMG_9761.jpeg

After:

IMG_9762.jpeg

The area at the front is my perennial herb garden. The chopping block has also been turned into mulch (it was pretty rotted, so I whacked it with a shovel and it basically disintegrated).

We're getting there. The big problem with a tropical/ sub-tropical climate is that everything grows like crazy, and at about 100 kph per day. Anyway, the gardener arrived and cut the two lawns (in the front and at the side of the house) and the verge in front of the house, so now the place is looking a bit tidier. Tomorrow he'll be back and we'll start working on the Riki-Riki (you can see them, on the right, in the second photo) which we're going to trim back and sow a little further up the hill.
The third photo is an oncidium, a wild orchid which I'd transplanted on to the tree a year ago. It only flowers once a year, but the flowering process is amazing. A long, thin stem begins growing from the plant; it can take 3 or 4 months to reach maximum extension ( in this case, 2 mts), and then the little flowers begin appearing on each side of the stem. Once it flowers, the flowers last for about 3 weeks.
Garden today 1.jpg
Garden today 2.jpg
Oncidium.jpg

It was a somewhat cooler day, 28c, overcast, so I took up 2 hours of gardening in the flower bed in front of my building.

Not much to show, nobody has given it attention for a long while, but 2 senior neighbours and I managed to put a good start.

Now dealt with medication for parents, short coffee break. Then taking Dad out for a walk.

After, some errands due.

20240808_095830.jpg
20240808_084326.jpg
20240808_080921.jpg

I got a monarch on my liatris yesterday!
IMG_9822.jpeg

This plant, Liatris ligulistylis (common name: rocky mountain blazing-star), is an absolute magnet for the butterflies. It’s technically not native to this area, but it’s so good for the butterflies that I grow it anyway since it’s non-invasive. Most of the ornamental plants I grow are native plants that support pollinators and other wildlife.

We're getting there. The big problem with a tropical/ sub-tropical climate is that everything grows like crazy, and at about 100 kph per day. Anyway, the gardener arrived and cut the two lawns (in the front and at the side of the house) and the verge in front of the house, so now the place is looking a bit tidier. Tomorrow he'll be back and we'll start working on the Riki-Riki (you can see them, on the right, in the second photo) which we're going to trim back and sow a little further up the hill.
The third photo is an oncidium, a wild orchid which I'd transplanted on to the tree a year ago. It only flowers once a year, but the flowering process is amazing. A long, thin stem begins growing from the plant; it can take 3 or 4 months to reach maximum extension ( in this case, 2 mts), and then the little flowers begin appearing on each side of the stem. Once it flowers, the flowers last for about 3 weeks. View attachment 117087View attachment 117088View attachment 117089
How much rain do you get ?
Our last rain was early March.
Next rain, maybe mid November

How much rain do you get ?
Our last rain was early March.
Next rain, maybe mid November
We're in the rainy season right now - usually May until early December, then no rain (or virtually no rain) until the following May.
This year we didn't get drop until almost mid-June. Still, it rained hard on Tuesday. At this stage, the grass needs to be cut about every 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom