What's going on in your garden (2024)?

We went away for the weekend, and while we were away the butterfly milkweed started blooming!
IMG_9415.jpeg

That’s a really impressive garlic harvest! Sadly my soil is too heavy and clayey for root veg.

Went outside today in between rainstorms and discovered a few of these little guys on my parsley. I’m actually really happy - they’re black swallowtail butterflies so I’m going to let them eat all the parsley they want!

IMG_9534.jpeg

That’s a really impressive garlic harvest! Sadly my soil is too heavy and clayey for root veg.

Went outside today in between rainstorms and discovered a few of these little guys on my parsley. I’m actually really happy - they’re black swallowtail butterflies so I’m going to let them eat all the parsley they want!

View attachment 115854

Beautiful caterpillar.

We have plenty of space so let these red hot pokers do what they want. Since the tree they grow under died, they have been thriving.

This is one side of the tree.
20240719_170811.jpg

And this is the other side
20240719_170854.jpg

Then there is another patch a little further away.
20240719_170828.jpg

It typically flowers later than those under the tree and the ones in the large flower bed haven't even started to think about flowering yet. We have loads of nectar feeding birds big and small so this is an essential nectar source for them right now. (It didn't get above 4.9°C today and the windchill is -6°C).

The japonica is also flowering.
20240719_170835.jpg

Way too cold for bees though, so I doubt there will be any quince from it.

We planted a lot of bee friendly plants in our front garden, so far we have lost 1 which isn't too bad considering how many we actually put in.

Back
Top Bottom