Plans for today (2023)

Plans for today include the annual eye sight test and a half birthday meal out this evening.

It does however mean that the chooks get to stay in their outside enclosure (it's a 30m by 20m enclosure surrounded by a dedicated chook electric fence) and not free range because we won't be home until at least 4hrs after dark. I'm trying hard not to feel guilty about it. It's not like it's a regular occurrence but I still feel mean not letting them free range despite the fact that there are only 11 of them in that 600m² enclosure.
The 5 down at the house will still free range but they put themselves to roost safely without issue if the main flock are not around, plus the 2 old girls are very early to roost so again not a problem. They are all on automatic doors, so provided there's no squabbling all go to roost without issue, but we've had lock outs this week where one of the newer girls stops 2 of the small flock by the house from roosting right up until the door starts to shut. Then she'll leave and go to roost in the main chook house but the 2 down here get locked out. :o_o: bl**dy chooks.

Plans for today include the annual eye sight test and a half birthday meal out this evening.

It does however mean that the chooks get to stay in their outside enclosure (it's a 30m by 20m enclosure surrounded by a dedicated chook electric fence) and not free range because we won't be home until at least 4hrs after dark. I'm trying hard not to feel guilty about it. It's not like it's a regular occurrence but I still feel mean not letting them free range despite the fact that there are only 11 of them in that 600m² enclosure.
The 5 down at the house will still free range but they put themselves to roost safely without issue if the main flock are not around, plus the 2 old girls are very early to roost so again not a problem. They are all on automatic doors, so provided there's no squabbling all go to roost without issue, but we've had lock outs this week where one of the newer girls stops 2 of the small flock by the house from roosting right up until the door starts to shut. Then she'll leave and go to roost in the main chook house but the 2 down here get locked out. :o_o: bl**dy chooks.
You are lucky you have so much room there .

Russ

You are lucky you have so much room there .

Russ
We're always careful with the properties we choose to live in. I don't deal with small spaces for living in particularly well. I'm not claustrophobic but I don't cope well with neighbours overlooking windows or being able to hear them in the bathroom etc. It gets me seriously depressed. I need my space. We don't have a huge amount of space here with this property but we do have access to the farm land for walking on etc.

We have a lot less than our last place. That had 5 unfenced hectares. But the truth is the chooks don't venture far from their normal range and unless you actually prevent them from being around the farm house, that's where they congregate because they associated humans with food and safety. It usually is the case, but we've just lost another chook. However, it's just saved the lives of most of the flock. Only the girls in the smallest chook house were free ranging today when a fox paid a visit whilst i was in the shower.

I'm so used to hearing my neighbors :D
The only thing that bothers me is, that I would like to sleep with an open window, but sometimes I'm waking up when somebody is having a good time on the street

The only thing that bothers me is, that I would like to sleep with an open window, but sometimes I'm waking up when somebody is having a good time on the street
I know the feeling of having noisy neighbors. We had some at the house next door for awhile. Their back porch was right outside of my bedroom window. In the evenings, they would sit outside and drink and the woman was quite loud. They also would come home from the bars late at night on the weekends and sit outside and talk until the sun came up sometimes. We have another neighbor who lives several houses down that has dogs that bark constantly during the day and early evening, and sometimes when they let their dogs out at night the dogs bark. They are big dogs and have loud, deep barks so it wakes me up.

This time of year I don't want to leave my windows open because of pollen, and most recently, poor air quality due to the Canadian wildfire smoke.

I would like to sleep with an open window, but sometimes I'm waking up when somebody is having a good time on the street
Earplugs are definitely an option. Used them in London last year when our bedroom was right on the High St. 4am to 5am was definitely worse. Real, rolling drunks with very loud, slurred voices and choice vocabulary :eek: :eek:

Just been to grandson rugby 3 deg c didn't bother him. Granddaughter has netball in an hr. We will drive 30 mins to watch. Just got home after buying beef sausages 3 x bags $8 ea. Chicken schnitzel. Place Is only open a few hrs on a Saturday .
Meatballs out freezer for dinner.

Russ

Around here the only things that get locked are the woodsheds because it's the start of winter and there's about $2-3,000 of wood in the woodshed of most rural households.

The houses, garages, vehicles with keys in the ignition and most outhouses are all unlocked. In summer, doors and windows will be wide open as well. If the house is actually locked up, you know the owner is away for more than overnight. The irony being that when the house is locked, you've got all the time you want to break in and take what you want... no one will see or hear it. It's kind of like "normal life" for a townie just totally backwards in its logic for a rural life.

And with that I must remember, I need to get the locks on the front door and garage fixed before October when we fly to the UK... I think my 4×4 locks are working OK if you ignore the front passenger door lock (it locks from the driver's door, but you can't even get the key into the lock on the passengers door...) such is rural life (even in the UK! )

Canada Day here..everything closed except restaurants and gas bars..we decided to close as our type of place isn't overly busy on Canada Day..Most people go to parks, cottages and back yards to eat hot dogs and hamburgers..we are heading to a little place for lunch..then home to eat hot dogs and hamburgers in our back yard..lot's of rain lately..I have a bunch of weed in the garden.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom