Plans for today (2023)

Knife sharpening day. I sharpened 6 gyutos, two slicers, a utility and a parer. I had some time since it is Sunday so I took them all to a polished edge. The gyutos will slice through a sheet of paper with just the weight of the blade and my using only 2 fingers at the very end of the handle. Hopefully I can get through the day without cutting myself. :)

Everyone should have a dedicated banjo room, whether they play a banjo or not. šŸŖ•
Banjo room
20230723_155131.jpg
20230723_155209.jpg

Yep, used widely in folk music, most notably in Irish traditional music
Are you a lefty (as in handed)?

Iā€™ll post this in honor of your banjo room:

View: https://youtu.be/H9VnrIZZslA

I made that a couple of weeks ago for a fellow on another forum asking about that particular banjo. Thatā€™s why I was yammering on so much about it.

Yep, used widely in folk music, most notably in Irish traditional music
When we were living in your fine country, back in the ā€˜90ā€™s, I signed up for a (very long) dayā€™s ramble up and down the Brecon Beacons (which I understand have a new name now, but I donā€™t know what it is).

On the exhaustive ride over from RAF Upper Heyford, I got to talking with the fellow, and turned out he was a banjo enthusiast, but he was trying to teach himself and not getting very far (having the highest-pitched string on top can really mess with an organized mind).

I promised to pay him a visit soon after, and I did, and he kept a banjo in his office - you think Brit vs Yank begins and ends with language? Nope, it extends to banjos, as where Iā€™m from, open G is the prevalent default tuning for a 5-string banjo, but there, it seems to be a C tuning.

After getting that straightened out, I played him a little of ā€œOne Morning in May,ā€ one of those typically 18th-century sounding folk tunes thatā€™s popular here in bluegrass circles:

One morning, one morning, one morning in May,
I spied a young couple, a-making their way.
One was a maiden so bright and so fair, the other a soldier and a brave volunteer.

They, in true folk fashion, fall deeply in love in the span of an afternoon, only for the duplicitous soldier to reveal ā€œIā€™ve a wife back in London, and children twice three,ā€ so tough luck for the maiden, I suppose. :laugh:

Anyway, Iā€™m rambling as I oft do when talking about banjos, but he kept describing to me what kind of things he wanted to play, but he didnā€™t know what to call it, but it wasnā€™t the 4-string flatpicked Irish stuff.

You know that scene from ā€œA Charlie Brown Christmas,ā€ where Lucy rattles off a dozen or so phobias, until she gets to pantophobia (ā€œthe fear of everything!ā€), and Charlie jumps up, points at Lucy, and says, ā€œThatā€™s it!ā€ so forcefully that she tumbles backward?

Thatā€™s more or less what happened with me. He went on about, ā€œItā€™s not that Irish stuff, plunk plink plonk, itā€™s moreā€¦cascading perhaps?ā€¦like tink tink tink, quite fast, reallyā€¦ā€ and Iā€™d played/sang about two lines of the song when he jumped up, knocked his chair back, and shouted, ā€œThatā€™s it! Thatā€™s it! What is that?ā€

That, my friend, is Scruggs-style bluegrass banjo (which is not what Iā€™m playing in that video above :laugh: ).

Are you a lefty (as in handed)?

Iā€™ll post this in honor of your banjo room:

View: https://youtu.be/H9VnrIZZslA

I made that a couple of weeks ago for a fellow on another forum asking about that particular banjo. Thatā€™s why I was yammering on so much about it.

When we were living in your fine country, back in the ā€˜90ā€™s, I signed up for a (very long) dayā€™s ramble up and down the Brecon Beacons (which I understand have a new name now, but I donā€™t know what it is).

On the exhaustive ride over from RAF Upper Heyford, I got to talking with the fellow, and turned out he was a banjo enthusiast, but he was trying to teach himself and not getting very far (having the highest-pitched string on top can really mess with an organized mind).

I promised to pay him a visit soon after, and I did, and he kept a banjo in his office - you think Brit vs Yank begins and ends with language? Nope, it extends to banjos, as where Iā€™m from, open G is the prevalent default tuning for a 5-string banjo, but there, it seems to be a C tuning.

After getting that straightened out, I played him a little of ā€œOne Morning in May,ā€ one of those typically 18th-century sounding folk tunes thatā€™s popular here in bluegrass circles:

One morning, one morning, one morning in May,
I spied a young couple, a-making their way.
One was a maiden so bright and so fair, the other a soldier and a brave volunteer.

They, in true folk fashion, fall deeply in love in the span of an afternoon, only for the duplicitous soldier to reveal ā€œIā€™ve a wife back in London, and children twice three,ā€ so tough luck for the maiden, I suppose. :laugh:

Anyway, Iā€™m rambling as I oft do when talking about banjos, but he kept describing to me what kind of things he wanted to play, but he didnā€™t know what to call it, but it wasnā€™t the 4-string flatpicked Irish stuff.

You know that scene from ā€œA Charlie Brown Christmas,ā€ where Lucy rattles off a dozen or so phobias, until she gets to pantophobia (ā€œthe fear of everything!ā€), and Charlie jumps up, points at Lucy, and says, ā€œThatā€™s it!ā€ so forcefully that she tumbles backward?

Thatā€™s more or less what happened with me. He went on about, ā€œItā€™s not that Irish stuff, plunk plink plonk, itā€™s moreā€¦cascading perhaps?ā€¦like tink tink tink, quite fast, reallyā€¦ā€ and Iā€™d played/sang about two lines of the song when he jumped up, knocked his chair back, and shouted, ā€œThatā€™s it! Thatā€™s it! What is that?ā€

That, my friend, is Scruggs-style bluegrass banjo (which is not what Iā€™m playing in that video above :laugh: ).
You are much more advanced than me, I am still trying to get my rolls fast and regular. I am only learning Scruggs style for now. I've had the banjo for a while but never really practaced enough to make progress, mainly because the house was cluttered and I didn't have anywhere nice or the headspace to settle with it. So now I have thrown all my junk out and created a nice space I am enjoying the process, I'm not sure what the neighbours think.

I am still trying to get my rolls fast and regular. I am only learning Scruggs style for now.
If I could go back and give my younger self one piece of advice, it would be ā€œPut those damn fingerpicks on, and leave ā€˜em on until you get used to ā€˜em!ā€

I was rarely in a position to play Scruggs-style in a band setting, so I didnā€™t bother with them, since I didnā€™t need the volume and clarity fingerpicks yield. Years later, when opportunities did arise, Iā€™d developed a real lack of precision with them and was very much behind where I should have been.

I wasn't even aware that the banjo is popular in the UK.

It was a bit of a joke between us which then ended up at his brother's house, TVC had spoken a few times about getting one and I jokingly exclaimed that I would divorce him if he did. His brother emailed me to ask if it would be OK if he and their other brother bought him one for his 50th birthday, they were worried it would cause a problem between us so I assured them it was just a joke and it was perfectly OK if they wanted to buy one for him. I actually like the sound of them being played.

I actually like the sound of them being played.
MrsT will leave the room (or strongly suggest I leave the room) if Iā€™m playing any bluegrass banjo.

If Iā€™m playing clawhammer/frailing banjo, like in that video I posted, she quite likes that, finds it somewhat soothing, which isnā€™t a word you hear associated with banjos very often.

My parents were exactly the opposite, and when I was learning, if I played anything like that above, my dad would spit out in disgust, ā€œFrailinā€™ the banjer?! More like failinā€™ the banjer, if you ask me!ā€ :laugh:

MrsT is pulling out of the driveway as I type - off to Cleveland for a four-day work conference. This will be the longest sheā€™s driven by herself since her stroke in 2013, but my doctor wouldnā€™t clear me for a three-hour car trip so soon after my stuff last week, so away she goes.

Soā€¦plans for today: work, watch cheesy Euro horror flicks, eat pizza.

Back
Top Bottom