Plans for today (2023)

MrsT is pulling out of the driveway as I type - off to Cleveland for a four-day work conference. This will be the longest she’s driven by herself since her stroke in 2013, but my doctor wouldn’t clear me for a three-hour car trip so soon after my stuff last week, so away she goes.

So…plans for today: work, watch cheesy Euro horror flicks, eat pizza.

Why import your cheesy entertainment. Troma has home grown cheese.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKeONEIskWI

CD

Why import your cheesy entertainment. Troma has home grown cheese.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKeONEIskWI

CD
Actually, I just queued up a different AGFA classic (not European):

IMG_5158.jpeg

MrsT is pulling out of the driveway as I type - off to Cleveland for a four-day work conference.
I'll be in Cleveland later this afternoon when my flight arrives. Sitting in the Atlanta Airport.

I had about 2/3rds of a seat from Houston to Atlanta. My right rib cage feels bruised from being pressed into the arm rest from this massive dude sitting next to me:

20230724_104247.jpg

I had an aisle seat next to this guy because my SIL was slow getting out of the house and driving me to the airport, and then my boarding pass on my phone wouldn't load so I had to get it printed at the kiosk, and of course they were having issues so I was the last to board (that's never happened to me before) on a full flight. Hopefully the rest of the day goes smoothly.

Edit: I typed that too soon. Just found out my flight has been delayed so that puts me getting into Cleveland at 4:55--just in time to go home in rush hour traffic. My husband will be thrilled. Not.

I'll be in Cleveland later this afternoon when my flight arrives. Sitting in the Atlanta Airport.

I had about 2/3rds of a seat from Houston to Atlanta. My right rib cage feels bruised from being pressed into the arm rest from this massive dude sitting next to me:

View attachment 102858

I had an aisle seat next to this guy because my SIL was slow getting out of the house and driving me to the airport, and then my boarding pass on my phone wouldn't load so I had to get it printed at the kiosk, and of course they were having issues so I was the last to board (that's never happened to me before) on a full flight. Hopefully the rest of the day goes smoothly.

Edit: I typed that too soon. Just found out my flight has been delayed so that puts me getting into Cleveland at 4:55--just in time to go home in rush hour traffic. My husband will be thrilled. Not.
I feel for both you and the big dude. Plane seats are so tiny! I know some quite big people and they dread flying, they find it very embarrassing they can’t stay contained in the allotted space.

View attachment 102858

Ah, Southwest... the Greyhound bus of airlines. :laugh:

CD

I feel for both you and the big dude. Plane seats are so tiny! I know some quite big people and they dread flying, they find it very embarrassing they can’t stay contained in the allotted space.
Yes, but apparently larger people are supposed to buy a double ticket. That would have solved the problem.

I used to fly about 120 days a year, so I racked up close to 300,000 American Airlines miles. That means I can upgrade to first class just about anywhere I want to go at no charge. :dance:

American Airlines is based in Dallas, so I can also get a non-stop flight to most cities in the US... and a good handful overseas.

CD

I used to fly about 120 days a year, so I racked up close to 300,000 American Airlines miles. That means I can upgrade to first class just about anywhere I want to go at no charge. :dance:

American Airlines is based in Dallas, so I can also get a non-stop flight to most cities in the US... and a good handful overseas.

CD
Well that’s rather lovely but also awful to have flown every three days or so to get that privilege!

Yes, but apparently larger people are supposed to buy a double ticket. That would have solved the problem.
It really would wouldn’t it! And as a small person who has spent many flights crushed by a two seater sized person I hear what you’re saying loud n clear! 😂

I have a very large friend who really needs two seats and won’t fly because of it for a few reasons.

The cost of four tickets for a return journey rather than just two is prohibitive.

It is embarrassing as being fat is seen as shameful.

The airlines here are predominantly budget airlines for short haul flights with no possible upgrades other than extra leg room which is pointless when your core is wide.
They don’t make it easy to book two seats. All booking is online and you can’t enter your name and passport details twice to be able to book that extra seat, the website layouts for anything not straight forward are cryptic and there’s no guidance on there about how to do it.

You can spend several years paying premium rate in a call queue waiting to speak to someone at a centre thinking they could book it but they’re clueless and can’t 😂

It can be done though by using the right combo of words in the name section and then you get to pay yet another extra premium on both seats to reserve them together or they are randomly allocated in different locations!

She has in the back of her mind the hideous experience of a previous flight of having to explain to flight attendants in front of everyone why the person that’s plonked themselves in the extra seat they reserved has to be moved while everyone stared with varying degrees of disgust on their faces.

Avoiding getting into the fat shaming “they shouldn’t eat so much” stuff it’s not a lot of fun for them either.

26% of the uk is now classed as clinically obese so it’s a problem a quarter of the population face but due to prevailing attitudes and the refitting of planes with even smaller seats it’s not dealt with.
I understand in the US obesity is now over 40% and the UK is fast catching up so not offering clear guidance for overweight people is a bit crazy.

Flights are very rarely completely full though usually operating at 90+ percent max, the airline’s suggestions is that the squashed person discretely asks to be moved.

I know this bit as I once made the mistake (because it was so hot) of wearing a sundress on a flight home. I spent 2hrs 40 mins with a large man’s arm stuck on top of me while he sweated all over me, it got so bad his body was literally sliding on mine 🤮 I don’t wear anything short sleeved now, lesson learned 😂
This was over the line for me so I complained politely at the end and an incredulous flight attendant said “ask to move!” 😆

Last edited:
Don’t answer if it’s an intrusion but what were you doing that you had to fly so much?!!

After working for two car magazines, which involved some travel, I picked up a few high-end Classic Car Auction companies as customers. I photographed cars for their catalogs. Sometimes just one car at a location, others times a few, and sometimes a whole collection. The time between consignment of cars, and the catalog needing to be done was usually not long, so I'd have to photographed a lot of cars, in a lot of places, in a short time.

CD

Back
Top Bottom