Plans for today (2023)

Got my 6th covid jab this morning, on my doctor’s recommendation, since I’ll be out of the country for nearly three weeks this autumn.

It’s an aggravating process. They won’t do walk-ins, and they won’t schedule it for you, you have to schedule it yourself online. That process takes a solid 15-20 minutes, because it asks question after question after question (including requiring to put my birthdate in four times - you can’t capture that the first time I put it in?).

Questions about shot history, medical history, insurance (all that, they already have on file as I’ve gotten my previous shots there), eligibility questions, etc.

Finally, scheduled all up, arrive at the appointed time, and…had to go through a majority of the same questions again (including birthdate), taking another 10 minutes of registering, and then what?

“You’ll need to wait 30 minutes. No one took your dose out of the freezer, so it’s too cold to give it to you right now.”

Why bother with making the appointment?! - Oh yeah, because it’s required. 🤪

Medical offices are not "state-of-the-art" on technology. They still have, and use FAX machines on a daily basis.

I once had a doctor's office ask me to FAX something to them. I replied, "No, but I can send smoke signals, if that will help." The person on the phone with me didn't get that one. I asked if I could email a PDF to them. "A what?"

My PCP is part of a group that has a "Patient Portal." It never works.

You can order a meal from your smartphone from McDonald's, but medical offices are still using FAX machines. :facepalm: :laugh:

CD

My PCP is part of a group that has a "Patient Portal." It never works.
That’s one thing I like about my doc - the patient portal works really well, and I get responses from either her or her nurse same day, usually.

My issue with scheduling was with the Kroger pharmacy. I don’t normally use their pharmacy, but way back when the first dose was available and it was so hard to get, that was the only place I could get it, a Kroger 45 minutes away, and since I started with Kroger, I naturally default to going back to (a) Kroger for my updated ones.

All my other vaccines, I get through CVS, and as much as I love my local pharmacy staff there, their scheduling app is just as bad, to the point that I eventually gave up, since they will do walk-ins on certain days for things.

I did end up getting one of my covid jabs from the city health department, because I couldn’t get an appointment anywhere. They had no issues with walk-ins, which were available any time they were open. Walked in, stuck me in the arm, stamped my card, made me go sit in the corner for 15 minutes. No fuss whatsoever.

That’s one thing I like about my doc - the patient portal works really well, and I get responses from either her or her nurse same day, usually.

My issue with scheduling was with the Kroger pharmacy. I don’t normally use their pharmacy, but way back when the first dose was available and it was so hard to get, that was the only place I could get it, a Kroger 45 minutes away, and since I started with Kroger, I naturally default to going back to (a) Kroger for my updated ones.

All my other vaccines, I get through CVS, and as much as I love my local pharmacy staff there, their scheduling app is just as bad, to the point that I eventually gave up, since they will do walk-ins on certain days for things.

I did end up getting one of my covid jabs from the city health department, because I couldn’t get an appointment anywhere. They had no issues with walk-ins, which were available any time they were open. Walked in, stuck me in the arm, stamped my card, made me go sit in the corner for 15 minutes. No fuss whatsoever.
Our patient portals work well too, and I have the ability to upload needed documents that go right into my chart. Test results are posted within a day or 2 as well.

No pedicure? My ex-wife took me to her nail salon and bought us both a manicure and pedicure. The manicure was pleasant, but the pedicure was amazing. My feet needed a lot of work, but I liked it. It was very relaxing. After everything, my hands looked good, and my feet felt great.

My ex said, "I told you you would like that." :laugh: She was right.

We did spa treatments together a couple times a year. Usually a hot mineral bath, steam, and then full body message. She talked me into some funky herbal facial treatment once. I did not like that one bit.

CD

We have a back sack and crack hair removal sessions. I HAVNT been.

Russ

Today:
Atm cash out.
Something to eat later. Takeaway
Pick up booze
Buy biscuits.
Pop in drs pay $25 for a script I got.
Makkas tea?
Chase son up for something he borrowed for a day, 4 days ago.

Russ

Stayed at boys new apartment last night. Haven‘t slept a wink.

The ‘put me up‘ bed is simply awful but the worse offender is the bedroom window faces out into the central atrium and walkway to other apartments.
The lighting is automatic so anyone coming or going sets the lights off and the blind in here isn’t man enough to stop flashing light effect. Gave up trying to sleep at 4am.
Blackout curtains are now an urgent purchase. It was torture!!

The lighting is automatic so anyone coming or going sets the lights off and the blind in here isn’t man enough to stop flashing light effect.
When we moved back to the US from the UK (Dover, Delaware), there wasn’t an on-base house available for us, so we had to rent an apartment for a few months.

We also had no household goods, those were still in transit, so we rented this acceptable-but-basic apartment, then went to Walmart and bought two lawn chairs, a folding card table, and an air mattress, as it was meant to be a temporary situation.

It was a ground floor apartment, and the bedroom window, which seemed to cover half the wall, faced the parking lot - and there was really no distance between the window and the parking lot, just a narrow sidewalk.

All hours of the night, cars would pull in, cars would pull out, headlights literally several feet from the bedroom window, lighting up the bedroom like a crime scene.

Off and on, all night long - dark, blast of headlights, then they’d sweep across the room, then dark again. Maybe 30 minutes later, maybe an hour later, maybe five minutes later, same thing. Over and over, all hours.

Hay Tasty, I understand there is an important vote in Ohio today. Is that in your "plans for today?"

CD

Central air system got its twice-yearly checkup today - a little $80 repair to keep it going. Still on the original one the house came with - 18 years old.

Car got an oil change and tire rotation, getting ready for our Saturday Pennsylvania travels.

I also went to Kroger and picked up a few supplies for the road trip - unlike previous years, with her WW lifestyle in mind, MrsT has agreed to keep the car trip food down to a minimum - still not the healthiest of things we’ve settled on, but the sheer quantity and variety…much more reasonable this time around.

Hay Tasty, I understand there is an important vote in Ohio today. Is that in your "plans for today?"

CD
Yeah, those trickster republicans are running a lot of commercials on TV telling people to vote yes to protect the Ohio constitution. What a load of BS, so many people don't realize what this vote is all about that I fear many will just blindly vote yes without understanding it. I am leaving in about 45 minutes to run errands and that's my 1st stop.

We took care of that a couple of weeks ago. Walked right in, no line. :okay:
Well, the important vote caseydog and JAS_OH1 mentioned earlier has been decided - Ohio issue 1 was soundly thumped yesterday.

For those who may be interested, but not so interested to get too deeply into it, a quick synopsis:

Ohio issue 1 was an attempt to raise the threshold for amending the Ohio state constitution from a simple majority (50% + 1) to 60%. History shows us that a 60% majority is very difficult to obtain on just about any issue, and for historical reference, Ohio has had the simple majority rule in place for over 100 years, with no real problems associated with it.

Why the sudden push then to change it? It’s tied to abortion rights. During the upcoming November election, there will be an issue on the Ohio ballet to preserve a woman’s right to abortion by amending the Ohio state constitution. Anti-abortion activists have seen other traditionally conservative states (Kansas, Kentucky) somewhat surprisingly successfully protect that right similarly, and so they sought to torpedo the November ballot measure in Ohio by holding a quick August special election to raise the amendment approval threshold to 60%, thereby scuttling any real chance pro-choice voters would have in getting their November measure approved.

That was defeated last night, and by a good margin - 57% against the proposed change to the amendment process versus 43% for it, so come November, the ballot measure to amend the Ohio state constitution to protect a woman’s right to choose will need just a simple majority to pass. Whether that happens is a fight for another day, but it wasn’t made any more difficult after last night’s defeat of issue 1.

Polling before the election showed it very close, too close to call, potentially going to recounts and court challenges, but with a 57/43 split, it’s done. Onto November.

Well, the important vote caseydog and JAS_OH1 mentioned earlier has been decided - Ohio issue 1 was soundly thumped yesterday.

For those who may be interested, but not so interested to get too deeply into it, a quick synopsis:

Ohio issue 1 was an attempt to raise the threshold for amending the Ohio state constitution from a simple majority (50% + 1) to 60%. History shows us that a 60% majority is very difficult to obtain on just about any issue, and for historical reference, Ohio has had the simple majority rule in place for over 100 years, with no real problems associated with it.

Why the sudden push then to change it? It’s tied to abortion rights. During the upcoming November election, there will be an issue on the Ohio ballet to preserve a woman’s right to abortion by amending the Ohio state constitution. Anti-abortion activists have seen other traditionally conservative states (Kansas, Kentucky) somewhat surprisingly successfully protect that right similarly, and so they sought to torpedo the November ballot measure in Ohio by holding a quick August special election to raise the amendment approval threshold to 60%, thereby scuttling any real chance pro-choice voters would have in getting their November measure approved.

That was defeated last night, and by a good margin - 57% against the proposed change to the amendment process versus 43% for it, so come November, the ballot measure to amend the Ohio state constitution to protect a woman’s right to choose will need just a simple majority to pass. Whether that happens is a fight for another day, but it wasn’t made any more difficult after last night’s defeat of issue 1.

Polling before the election showed it very close, too close to call, potentially going to recounts and court challenges, but with a 57/43 split, it’s done. Onto November.
I am glad to know that the majority if my fellow Ohioans are smarter than I give/gave them credit for. Yesterday at the polling place I looked at other people and tried to figure out what was in their heads...impossible to judge a book by the cover, of course.

The polling location is 3 minutes from my house and on my direct path to a work assignment I had. No wait, I item on the ballot, easy peasy. I generally vote by mail but this was no hardship.

Back
Top Bottom