Plans for today (2024)

The Amish farms are amazing. The tractors are 4 legged herbivores and the harvest involves manual cutting tools and a lot of perspiration. They actually practice the lifestyle you read about.
I am well aware. In particular, the most common of the draft horses used for plowing (sometimes oxen are used but rarely that I've seen ) are Belgian horses which are either sorrel or palomino in color (tan with blonde manes and tails). They stand around 16-17 hands high and can weigh around a ton.

I know some people who left the Amish lifestyle to become "English" (which for those who don't know is the term they use for anyone who isn't Amish). I know some Mennonites too. I do believe that our own TastyReuben had a Mennonite grandmother...

I know some Mennonites too. I do believe that our own @TastyReuben had a Mennonite grandmother...
Yes indeed, and just to tie it all together, when we’re heading up blades‘ way in a couple of weeks to check in on the Amish there, we’ll be taking a slightly longer route so we can pass through the town my grandmother was born in, and I’ve never actually been there, so that’ll be interesting.

Yes indeed, and just to tie it all together, when we’re heading up blades‘ way in a couple of weeks to check in on the Amish there, we’ll be taking a slightly longer route so we can pass through the town my grandmother was born in, and I’ve never actually been there, so that’ll be interesting.
Will you be in Shipshewana?

The Amish are further East in Pennsylvania. PA has the largest population of them in the country. But there are Amish in her home state of Ohio as well and also some not terribly far from my home here in Indiana. If you drive in the Amish area you will encounter horse and buggy traffic.
I would love to interact with some amish.

Russ

Getting stuff ready for jontys birthday dinner.
His choice curry puffs n chilly sauce
American hot dogs
Alternative for adults potato beef bake
Coke spider's
Mousse alternative. Wife made those. Whip with milk. (Easy as)
He should enjoy it .

Russ
What are coke spiders?
Sounds like some sort of malevolent cocaine courier 😂

Packing ready for the off tomoz, muchos housework including the stuff I successfully avoided yesterday, breakfast for everyone (sausages and bubble n squeak), a dot of yoga, spray the weeds and assist the eldest cooking salmon for sunday lunch.

He could do this with his eyes shut but there seems to be some requirement for a sous chef whenever they’re cooking for all of us 🙄 😂 I must fix that.

Edit: oo ooo I forgot to mention - load the table of torture up to take to the boys flat, it’s finally fully lacquered and going!!!! So happy and the sugared almonds are excellent 😄

I’ve got the first load of laundry in my shiny new washing machine!

Then later today I’m heading up to the barn to see the pony. I haven’t mentioned it on here until now, but I’m actually not riding at the moment. It’s a bit of a long story, but my coach has decided that it was time for the horse I was riding to be retired. So this is my first visit to see him at his new retirement home. I’ll hopefully be able to groom him and feed him lots of mints.

Are you going to get a new horse?

I would love to interact with some amish.

Russ
I had a chat with an Amish man at an auction. He seemed pretty normal to me and friendly. He gave me some advice on some of the items being sold and had a good sense of humor. When the auction ended he returned to his buggy and trotted away. I suspect his trip home was around 25 miles, maybe more. If you ignore the dress and the transportation they are just people like anyone else.

I had a chat with an Amish man at an auction. He seemed pretty normal to me and friendly. He gave me some advice on some of the items being sold and had a good sense of humor. When the auction ended he returned to his buggy and trotted away. I suspect his trip home was around 25 miles, maybe more. If you ignore the dress and the transportation they are just people like anyone else.
Yes and no. I have had to do quite a bit of work in Amish country where while I was dressed in business casual and dealing with store managers and owners I had no issues. But I also have spent some time there visiting with friends and family, and as a woman, it can be a bit different. I am treated with respect at the shops by the employees (usually female) for sure, but that's not to say I haven't gotten some disapproving looks from a few men at times, especially much older men (not all of course, but here and there) for my lack of modest dress and having long, flowing hair. I am not talking about wearing short-shorts or my cleavage busting out or anything, but I do like colorful clothing and I am not opposed to wearing tight jeans, and I like to wear my hair down instead of pulled up in a modest fashion. So yes, they are people but make no mistake that it's a very different culture.

I’ve got the first load of laundry in my shiny new washing machine!

Then later today I’m heading up to the barn to see the pony. I haven’t mentioned it on here until now, but I’m actually not riding at the moment. It’s a bit of a long story, but my coach has decided that it was time for the horse I was riding to be retired. So this is my first visit to see him at his new retirement home. I’ll hopefully be able to groom him and feed him lots of mints.
Sorry I missed this post. That's a tough gig, glad it's a mint filled retirement for him ❤️

Yes and no. I have had to do quite a bit of work in Amish country where while I was dressed in business casual and dealing with store managers and owners I had no issues. But I also have spent some time there visiting with friends and family, and as a woman, it can be a bit different. I am treated with respect at the shops by the employees (usually female) for sure, but that's not to say I haven't gotten some disapproving looks from a few men at times, especially much older men (not all of course, but here and there) for my lack of modest dress and having long, flowing hair. I am not talking about wearing short-shorts or my cleavage busting out or anything, but I do like colorful clothing and I am not opposed to wearing tight jeans, and I like to wear my hair down instead of pulled up in a modest fashion. So yes, they are people but make no mistake that it's a very different culture.
Oh 100% yes.
I think perhaps you and I have approached life from different places with the same belief's and perhaps in some ways experienced the same things.
I know exactly what you are talking about.

The internet has been an amazing leveller, but not for our gen until many experiences were already passed.

There are all kinds of Amish as there are all kinds of people in general. If an Amish man doesn't understand that he is in a tiny minority and the rest of the world doesn't share his rules and tastes then it is on him. If you don't like the public, don't go out in public. There is no sensible reason for them to be so rude.

Back
Top Bottom