Plans for today (2024)

but being non-italian I wouldn't have been invited to help cook, since how would I have possibly known how to make pasta or sauce properly?
It wasn’t completely like that in the main German club we belonged to for years, but not far off.

I used to laugh, because we had monthly meetings which, after the official work was done, turned into a big party, with tons of homemade German food…all provided by the women of the club. The club provided hall rental and catering on the side, and all the women running the kitchen were born-and-raised Germans, immigrants, and the food was top-notch.

One month a year, though, the men were tasked to do the food for the meeting, Men in the Kitchen Night, and it was always the same: tossed salad in bottled Italian dressing, loaves and loaves of premade garlic bread, and pans and pans of baked ziti - see, a lot of the men in the club happened to be firefighters, and that’s what they made a lot of at their fire stations. :laugh:

I'm not of Italian descent and it was rare for Italian Americans back then to marry non-IAs, plus the club back then was for the men. Women started coming in over the past few decades but it was mostly for parties and special events, and a single non-Italian woman (or man for that matter) wouldn't have been allowed to join (i would have gotten a pass for being married to an IA). Gender equality was slow coming into the IA community, at least here and you had to have sime Italian blood up until about 10 years ago.

Back in the late 60s to early 70s I might have been allowed to come wash dishes or something lol, but being non-italian I wouldn't have been invited to help cook, since how would I have possibly known how to make pasta or sauce properly?

Times have changed.
Italy itself is not doing so great on the ol’ equality front.
Neither is Portugal, Spain or France.
They also have some quite extreme right 🤬 who have some very regressive ideas that are very pushy and loud.
Anyway I won’t enter into political discussion but it’s ingrained and it’s something thats liked by a large number of people 😢

Italy itself is not doing so great on the ol’ equality front.
Neither is Portugal, Spain or France.
They also have some quite extreme right 🤬 who have some very regressive ideas that are very pushy and loud.
Anyway I won’t enter into political discussion but it’s ingrained and it’s something thats liked by a large number of people 😢
Oh man but our political right wing nutjobs are pretty ridiculous too...and I also know we aren't supposed to speak politics but there have been a few downright ridiculous comments made by some of "them" lately and more often than not, downright infuriating.

Had a really nice time at the club today. I skipped on the wine though everyone said it was delicious (as I knew it would be). I just wasn't feeling like drinking at 1PM in the afternoon today for some reason.

But I was able to give my new babies (sourdough starter jars) to my DH's cousins who wanted them so my fridge is a little less full now. I still have a lot of sourdough discard in there to use up so I might make some pretzels this afternoon. I found a good recipe online for soft pretzels I'd like to try. Only thing is it calls for milk and I don't have any on hand. I have some half-n-half, wonder if I water it down a bit it will suffice?

I’ve begged off work today due to my back (and I’m a little miffed I didn’t get a freebie since I worked about 10 hours of overtime this past week 😠 ), so I’m tending to that today.

Getting up after sleeping…I’m fine except for soreness - I can stand up, move ok, just sore and I can’t really bend at the waist, which means I’m excelling at using my feet as hands for anything below my waist (opening the bottom freezer, picking things up off the floor, etc).

After just a few minutes of sitting, however…not so good. Very difficult to get up without some significant pain in my back, can’t stand upright for quite a long time, so that’s why I called off work today. Can’t sit in an office chair or on the sofa.

I’m lying in bed for 30 minutes, then up and walking around, doing things (like picking things up off the floor with my new foot-hands), then lying on the floor, using heat for short amounts of time, ice packs, massager, and it’s all so I can be in good enough shape to make an onion challenge recipe today. That’s my big plan/goal.

I’ve begged off work today due to my back (and I’m a little miffed I didn’t get a freebie since I worked about 10 hours of overtime this past week 😠 ), so I’m tending to that today.

Getting up after sleeping…I’m fine except for soreness - I can stand up, move ok, just sore and I can’t really bend at the waist, which means I’m excelling at using my feet as hands for anything below my waist (opening the bottom freezer, picking things up off the floor, etc).

After just a few minutes of sitting, however…not so good. Very difficult to get up without some significant pain in my back, can’t stand upright for quite a long time, so that’s why I called off work today. Can’t sit in an office chair or on the sofa.

I’m lying in bed for 30 minutes, then up and walking around, doing things (like picking things up off the floor with my new foot-hands), then lying on the floor, using heat for short amounts of time, ice packs, massager, and it’s all so I can be in good enough shape to make an onion challenge recipe today. That’s my big plan/goal.
I think you need to go see a chiropractor. It sounds like an impinged nerve and your spine could be out of alignment which is causing the pressure on the nerve. That's my best guess without seeing/touching the area. And if you have a good chiropractor, they will loosen the surrounding muscles before doing any adjustments.

Why don't you skip the onion challenge recipe for the day and take care of your problem? It's gone on too long already.

Back
Top Bottom